Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studiologic MP117 to VR09 MIDI error

Just acquired an MP117 pedalboard. Although it's secondhand it's in great condition and works perfectly with everything I've tested so far (Sub37, Gemini, OB6, Mac) except the VR09! I've checked the MIDI OUT using Snoize Midi Monitor and the pedalboard just sends Note On/Off. Here's the weird part - when I connect it to my iConnectivity MIDI2 it works. There are no filters active on the ICM2, it is just routing In to Out. I've tried using MIDI thru but no joy. Also tried different MIDI cables including cables with just pins 4 and 5 connected.

MIDI OUT from the MP117 to MIDI IN produces the following error messages:

A MIDI transmision error has occured

MIDI Buffer full

Electrical problem? Opto Isolater in the VR09 sub par? The MIDI in on the VR09 works with my other gear. Not a deal breaker because it's only for home use and it will be connected to the ICM2 for use with other gear. It's a Roland VR09B running the latest firmware. Any ideas?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the VR09 accept MIDI IN from any other gear? I presume it's a simple dumb MIDI cable from MP117 to VR09?

Can you try going via the iConnectivity MIDI2 (forwarding from an IN to an OUT)? Can the MIDI2 be a USB Host? Worth trying USB MIDI into the VR09.

Cheers, Mike.

Maybe the pedalboard sends Active Sensing, and maybe the ICM2 filters out Active Sensing by default?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I've connected other keys to the MIDI In and the VR09 is happy.

As I said all filters are off on the ICM2 and I've connected the pedals to my SUB37. The Sub lets you route MIDI DIN IN to USB (very clever at routing is the SUB!) direct into MIDI Monitor and it just shows Note On/Off.

I've connected it directly to the PK5 socket and it works fine - only used a cable with 3 pins connected as I suppose there is some power on that connector. The MP117 works fine this way - just odd that nothing is triggering on the MIDI IN. Anyway either through the ICM2 or direct into the PK socket I'm getting a 2 manual organ with pedal bass.

Great fun. I don't have my E5D anymore but I'm just wondering if 2 manual + pedal bass is possible on the E5D. Maybe Upper B3 and Lower B3 + pedal. Sorry gone a bit OT there.

Thanks for your replies