Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

One of Three Small Controllers for Me

Yeah, I know, :deadhorse: But I did do a search so all is not lost. :P

After being inspired/reminded but The Real MC's thread, I started looking into getting something like that for my own use. I'm trying to figure out what I want and need.

Here's what I do know.

I have a Korg NanoKey. It sucks. I hate the way the keys are laid out, which confuses me. The keys also sort of bind a lot.

I have several real keyboards that do MIDI-over-USB but they're full size and while that's great in my studio, they're too big if I'm at my iMac in my office, not portable for light travel, nor if I'm using one of my devices around the house otherwise. Thus,

the device should work with iOS, iPad OS, and Mac.

I think I mostly want it for note entry in notation software, though it will get used for note input in Logic and GarageBand. I'd also like to use it to play instruments for fun or noodling or similar. I don't expect to play Rachmaninoff on it. I can't play that crap on a real piano anyway.

I don't think I need nor want to pay extra for Bluetooth.

Here's what I don't know.

Do I need full-size keys? My fingers aren't big, I think just playable should be okay.

How portable do I need? I don't fly very much. It might be nice to be able to fly with when I do, though.

How many keys? Related to above. I think I'm okay with two octaves like the NanoKey has, but more is almost always better to the point where portability is sacrificed.

Do I care about pitch or mod wheels? Not much, but OTOH, Animoog can use them, as well as synths and even organ sims.

Here's what I'm looking at and my thoughts about each.

CME Xkey 25 - really small, good reviews. Has aftertouch which seems to work well with Animoog.

iRig Keys Pro 37 - full "real" keys, good reviews.

Korg microKey 25 - there was a thread here where someone said it didn't work on bus power with an iPad. (I found this on the Korg site "For the 25-key model as well, we recommend using a powered hub if you plan to use the microKEY for an extended time.") I guess I could bump up to the 37

What do you guys think?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You might consider the Arturia MiniLab Mk II. I picked one up to toy around during my lunch hour at work on MainStage. +1 for fitting into a backpack, it feels solid and comes with Analog Lab Lite, Ableton Live Lite, and UVI Grand Piano.

I think it checks off most of your boxes, though I'm unsure about the iOS and iPad OS compatibility... but Mac works for sure.

A big thing I was looking for when I shopped this size of controller was the mod wheel functionality, as I use that regularly. I'm a big fan of the touch strip, as it works well for me.

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

You might consider the Arturia MiniLab Mk II. I picked one up to toy around during my lunch hour at work on MainStage. +1 for fitting into a backpack, it feels solid and comes with Analog Lab Lite, Ableton Live Lite, and UVI Grand Piano.

I think it checks off most of your boxes, though I'm unsure about the iOS and iPad OS compatibility... but Mac works for sure.

A big thing I was looking for when I shopped this size of controller was the mod wheel functionality, as I use that regularly. I'm a big fan of the touch strip, as it works well for me.

Thanks. I don't see iOS on their site for it, though. Also, it has more controller features than I'm looking for, I think. Not that extra knobs are a bad thing.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

One thing I ruled out for travel is a keyset with pivot points on the end. Those are too easy to break in transit especially if packed in a suitcase. The CME Xkey keyset doesn't have pivot points on the keys, they are basically large buttons. Those won't break, and the controller is a very slim profile with a brushed aluminum base that packs easy.

Get some hands-on time with the Reface CP. Yamaha got so much right on this one. I spent about 2 weeks trying out different portable MIDI controllers and the Reface CP really stood out. Also watching Nahre Sol mess around on it while traveling was big selling point:

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

I have the IK Multimedia iRig Keys I/O 49, the second generation of their controller boards, and heartily dis-recommend it. But your question was for their 1st generation controller, the iRig Key Pro 37, which is about half the price of the I/O 49 I bought.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Joe,

I have an iRigKeysPro which I bought for practicing LH Bass. I think this would work well for your needs.

I purchased a Nektar Panorama T6, similar but with more features and aftertouch, for live playing. Very nice.

One difficulty with the iRig is the mini USB connection. I keep mine connected by taping the cable in place. Programming the settings is also a PIA but thats true of any board without a screen.

Thanks for all the responses!

I have the IK Multimedia iRig Keys I/O 49, the second generation of their controller boards, and heartily dis-recommend it.

Why is that?