Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Great Canadian Guitarists Over the Years

Since it's Canada Day, why not?

Lenny Braeu, Randy Bachman, Alex Lifeson, Frank Marino, Aldo Nova, Pat Travers, David Gogo, Jeff Healey, Liona Boyd, Rik Emmett, Robbie Robertson. I'm sure I missed a few.

"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy Canada Day to all those up North! I'll add Gordon Lightfoot, Leon Redbone, Neil Young and Terry Jacks...

My guitar playing and school buddy and I had smoked salmon on a high rise balcony over looking the Vancouver bay area one night with Susan and Terry Jacks back in '68 or '69 or so...Susan Jacks was my Canadian buds cousin. That was a night to remember! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

I'm sure I missed a few.

That's a good list, Delta, but here's a few more....

EVERYONE KNOWS ABT JONI M

( INSPIRATION TO BOTH HENDRIX & PRN )

Who here uses one of HOTTEST jazz bassists

to play tribute to one of the COOLEST jazz badassists

[video:youtube]

Oh...& she plays gtr, too !

[[video:youtube]

BUT FEW KNOW OF ELLEN McILWAINE

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIsiEOcaJgo video:youtube]]

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIsiEOcaJgo

MASTER JAZZ SESSIONEER WHO USES A ...WHA ?

YES A TELE ! :D

-------------------------------------

And let's not forget our own Master Moderators

A String & Blues Ape !

d=halfnote

Since it's Canada Day, why not?

Lenny Braeu, Randy Bachman, Alex Lifeson, Frank Marino, Aldo Nova, Pat Travers, David Gogo, Jeff Healey, Liona Boyd, Rik Emmett, Robbie Robertson. I'm sure I missed a few.

All of those are good players/performers.

I lived in Vancouver for 5 years in the early 80s. Most beautiful city in North America and it had a great music scene then, and today. Much of Seattle's influences come from the bigger city to the north.

My wife's mom was born and raised on LuLu Island just south of Vancouver. My High School Bud and fellow guitar player was from Vancouver and moved down to California in 65. We made the trip from San Jose Ca to Vancouver to visit his family and friends back in 67, 68 and 69. On our last trip I got two tickets to see Donovan (I don't remember the name of the theater but I know it was the ground zero of the music scene!). Donovan wasn't Canadian but he was one hell of a guitar player and I played a lot of his tunes back in the day. He put on a great show all alone on stage with no backing band! +1 it is a beautiful city...gets a little cold in the winter time though! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Larryz, was the theater the Retinal Circus? One of the best concerts I ever went to was with my future wife in 83 at B.C. Place. 60,000 folks showed up to see The Tubes, Peter Gabriel and David Bowie in that order.

@ Delta, It may have been the Retinal Circus (sounds good to me)...my old memory fails me after all these years LOL! :cool:

@ Jim, I had a few Donovan albums back in 66 through 69 especially liked Sunshine Superman and the Mellow Yellow albums and knew every song and all the words back then. When my buddy and I went to see him, I expected him to come out on stage with a full band. It was just him sitting on a rug center stage with an acoustic but amplified guitar and a blue light shining down on him. I thought the band would come on later in the show but that never happened. He did all of his songs and the guitar work as a solo act. My buddy and I just stood at the stage a few feet away mesmerized by his guitar work. We were both guitar players at the age of 19, and knew we had a long long way to go LOL! :cool:

@ Delta, I texted my buddy and his memory is much better than mine! Turns out when we were on our trip that took us 4 months on the road, we were not in Vancouver when we saw Donovan LOL!

We were on the other side of Canada at the Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto! :puff:

Take care, Larryz

...I'll add Gordon Lightfoot, Leon Redbone...

Through the recent reminder of him here, it has come to my attention that Leon Redbone ( Dickran Gobalian ) was born in Cyprus, although his 1st know perfs were in Toronto.

I'll be back soon w/a bit abt Buffy St Marie.

d=halfnote

...I'll add Gordon Lightfoot, Leon Redbone...

Through the recent reminder of him here, it has come to my attention that Leon Redbone ( Dickran Gobalian ) was born in Cyprus, although his 1st know perfs were in Toronto.

I'll be back soon w/a bit abt Buffy St Marie.

Another example of one not born in Canada but made their debut there and hopefully can be included in this discussion is: John Kay (Joachim Fritz Krauledat) he is a very high ranking guitarist. He was born in Germany 1944. He Moved to Canada and came out in '65 as part of a Canadian rock and blues group named The Sparrows, before moving to California in '67. He became the front man for Steppenwolf, one of my favorites. :cool:

Take care, Larryz

One of the most mesmerizing Hendrixian lead gtr tones ever

& that yodelling lick is undeniably cool, too

But ya gotta chk this version out

or at least the section 8:50~11:00

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo_2-bLGY5k

Too bad he & Leslie West never collaborated !

BTW & FWIW, John Kay was not just a vocalist but a guitarist as well.

Dig what he & his latter-day cohort accomplish here

Entire track's with yer time but dial up 3:40 & let it rip...

...& if you think they were just on autopilot, at 4:15~4:20 they prove they were playing attention the whole time. :rawk:

d=halfnote

• 2 weeks later...