Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sonar to Studio One?

I'm seriously thinking about making the jump to Studio One so I can move back to PC. For the past few years it has been only Live, Reason and Logic on Mac. For 20 years Cakewalk/Sonar was my primary DAW. What will I miss when moving to Studio One? What will I be pleasantly surprised with?

Setup will be Studio One, Live and Reason

NI Komplete

Lots of UAD plugs on a quad card

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that I have an opinion on any of the PC DAWs, but why not go back to Cakewalk (formerly Sonar)?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I'm seriously thinking about making the jump to Studio One so I can move back to PC. For the past few years it has been only Live, Reason and Logic on Mac. For 20 years Cakewalk/Sonar was my primary DAW. What will I miss when moving to Studio One? What will I be pleasantly surprised with?

Given that I've used both since version 1.0 I could write a dissertation on this, but here are the main things you'll miss:

Upsampling

Mix Recall

Dim Solo (Studio One requires a workaround)

QuadCurve EQ (very underrated IMHO) and Saturation plug-in

ProChannel (if you liked it - not everyone did)

TH3 (Studio One's bundled amp isn't all that great)

Track icons (don't laugh, I think they're helpful)

Plug-in layouts

Screensets

Synth Rack

Matrix View

Multidock

Ability to create and edit Acidized files that respond to tempo changes and pitch markers

The amazing tempo detection thang that creates tempo tracks

MIDI Event List

Better documentation and note-taking options

Standard instrument and split instrument tracks (SO does instrument tracks only)

More sophisticated export functions (e.g., DSD export)

Can use ReWire and Native Komplete Kontrol at the same time (I expect SO will have a fix for this at some point, but it hasn't happened yet)

Here are the main Studio One Coolnesses:

The Harmonic Editing function, which borders on the magical

Arranger track is great for songwriting

Scratchpads is a cool idea; I don't use it that much, but some people flip out over it

Both have good comping. Studio One workflow is better for me, but normalizing takes and Dim solo require workarounds

Tight integration with Sample One XT and Impact XT (which does some of what Matrix View does) with the rest of the program

Fast, slick, and very stable

Better audio quantization

Tight integration with Presonus interfaces, particular the Studio 192 (recalls mic pre settings and such)

No zipper noise with internal synths because SO translates MIDI to higher internal resolution

Tablet/smartphone remote

Much better FX Chain implementation, including synth splits and layers, except no custom graphics

More developed start page

Oversampling option on the Pro EQ

Handles tempo changes more easily than Sonar

Better clip gain implementation

Better convolution reverb than Sonar

Faderport and ATOM control surfaces

Easy automation setup, although like Sonar, it can get cluttered fast

No other DAW has anything like the Project Page for mastering and album assembly

Better analytics and testing plug-ins

My Friday Tip of the Week migrated over to the Presonus blog :)

I probably forget several features for both programs, but this is a start.

Thanks. I have so many UAD plugs that I almost never use a DAW supplied effect anymore. I also bought a bunch of collections over the years during KVR charity events. So any issues with not having access to Sonar plugins will not be an issue. I still have Sonar installed on this machine but it has not been loaded in a couple of years. So, I guess I actually have access to those plugs. I'm assuming that SO can use them. The cross grade for Studio One is only $199 so that is worth trying.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Thanks. I have so many UAD plugs that I almost never use a DAW supplied effect anymore. I also bought a bunch of collections over the years during KVR charity events. So any issues with not having access to Sonar plugins will not be an issue. I still have Sonar installed on this machine but it has not been loaded in a couple of years. So, I guess I actually have access to those plugs. I'm assuming that SO can use them. The cross grade for Studio One is only $199 so that is worth trying.

SO can access only a limited number of Sonar plugs. None of the ProChannel-specific ones are eligible. Several of the other ones will work, and you can use the DX ones with a wrapper - so I didn't have to lose the Sonitus effects with SO.

Different DAWs for different tasks...of all the DAWs I've used, which is a considerable amount, SO is the best/fastest for taking a song from initial idea to finished mix. I do songs in days instead of weeks. FYI you can also ReWire Reason and Live easily into both SO and Sonar/Cakewalk.