Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RD800 - Decent Bell Sound?!

Hey, Folks --

I migrated away from a CP4+VR09 to a single top board on top of the organ this year, an RD800, for Classic Rock duty. I am still playing the CP4 for Grateful Dead and piano-centric gigs.

For the most part, the RD800 is a big step up. It took me a while to build a decent piano, but I have one now. The horns and strings kill the ones in the CP4, although some aren't quite as good as some of the ones in the VR09. The VR09 has a much better effects setup, which helps a lot. But the layering capability in the RD800, especially coupled with more pedals, really makes a difference. The synths in the RD800 are also not as good as the VR09, but "good enough"....I play mostly stuff like "Just What I Needed", pretty basic needs.

What's got me perplexed is bell tones, for tunes like "Born To Run". I can't figure out how to make something with a good "ding" and "ring" ... that cuts through the mix...I had something in the CP4 based on Round Glocken that was absolutely killer...in fact, my old DGX-620 had a good Round Glocken patch, too. The best I've found on the RD800 is a bit too "thunk" than "ding" and not enough sustain....does that make sense?

Anybody ever had this problem, and solved it without bringing more gear to the show? I wish this thing had a basic FM synth in it.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Jason. There are a couple of Celesta patches in there I will tinker with shortly. I just listened to every Jenco Celeste video on YouTube. I think maybe knowing what the un-mixed instrument sounds like will make it a bit easier. I love the sustain and bite on these things.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Wes I should have showed this to you a couple months ago. It's a 1978 video and you can see Dan playing the celeste on top of the B-3 Console at the 1:10 mark. It was miced but I have heard that it might have had a pick up installed. They show up on E-bay but go for a lot of money. There is a tech in Rochester that fixes them though:

[video:youtube]

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com