Print Thread
Sonar to Studio One? #2996895 07/01/19 09:12 PM
R
RABid Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
R
I'm seriously thinking about making the jump to Studio One so I can move back to PC. For the past few years it has been only Live, Reason and Logic on Mac. For 20 years Cakewalk/Sonar was my primary DAW. What will I miss when moving to Studio One? What will I be pleasantly surprised with?

Setup will be Studio One, Live and Reason
NI Komplete
Lots of UAD plugs on a quad card

Re: Sonar to Studio One? [Re: RABid] #2996912 07/01/19 11:59 PM
Bone Muskeleton Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Not that I have an opinion on any of the PC DAWs, but why not go back to Cakewalk (formerly Sonar)?

The great thing about music is that there's always something to learn. The frustrating thing about music is that there's always something to learn!
Re: Sonar to Studio One? [Re: RABid] #2996916 07/02/19 12:49 AM
Anderton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by RABid
I'm seriously thinking about making the jump to Studio One so I can move back to PC. For the past few years it has been only Live, Reason and Logic on Mac. For 20 years Cakewalk/Sonar was my primary DAW. What will I miss when moving to Studio One? What will I be pleasantly surprised with?

Given that I've used both since version 1.0 I could write a dissertation on this, but here are the main things you'll miss:

Upsampling
Mix Recall
Dim Solo (Studio One requires a workaround)
QuadCurve EQ (very underrated IMHO) and Saturation plug-in
ProChannel (if you liked it - not everyone did)
TH3 (Studio One's bundled amp isn't all that great)
Track icons (don't laugh, I think they're helpful)
Plug-in layouts
Screensets
Synth Rack
Matrix View
Multidock
Ability to create and edit Acidized files that respond to tempo changes and pitch markers
The amazing tempo detection thang that creates tempo tracks
MIDI Event List
Better documentation and note-taking options
Standard instrument and split instrument tracks (SO does instrument tracks only)
More sophisticated export functions (e.g., DSD export)
Can use ReWire and Native Komplete Kontrol at the same time (I expect SO will have a fix for this at some point, but it hasn't happened yet)

Here are the main Studio One Coolnesses:

The Harmonic Editing function, which borders on the magical
Arranger track is great for songwriting
Scratchpads is a cool idea; I don't use it that much, but some people flip out over it
Both have good comping. Studio One workflow is better for me, but normalizing takes and Dim solo require workarounds
Tight integration with Sample One XT and Impact XT (which does some of what Matrix View does) with the rest of the program
Fast, slick, and very stable
Better audio quantization
Tight integration with Presonus interfaces, particular the Studio 192 (recalls mic pre settings and such)
No zipper noise with internal synths because SO translates MIDI to higher internal resolution
Tablet/smartphone remote
Much better FX Chain implementation, including synth splits and layers, except no custom graphics
More developed start page
Oversampling option on the Pro EQ
Handles tempo changes more easily than Sonar
Better clip gain implementation
Better convolution reverb than Sonar
Faderport and ATOM control surfaces
Easy automation setup, although like Sonar, it can get cluttered fast
No other DAW has anything like the Project Page for mastering and album assembly
Better analytics and testing plug-ins
My Friday Tip of the Week migrated over to the Presonus blog smile

I probably forget several features for both programs, but this is a start.

Last edited by Anderton; 07/02/19 12:50 AM. Reason: Ficks typoze
Re: Sonar to Studio One? [Re: RABid] #2996926 07/02/19 01:40 AM
R
RABid Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
R
Thanks. I have so many UAD plugs that I almost never use a DAW supplied effect anymore. I also bought a bunch of collections over the years during KVR charity events. So any issues with not having access to Sonar plugins will not be an issue. I still have Sonar installed on this machine but it has not been loaded in a couple of years. So, I guess I actually have access to those plugs. I'm assuming that SO can use them. The cross grade for Studio One is only $199 so that is worth trying.

Re: Sonar to Studio One? [Re: RABid] #2996936 07/02/19 03:02 AM
Anderton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by RABid
Thanks. I have so many UAD plugs that I almost never use a DAW supplied effect anymore. I also bought a bunch of collections over the years during KVR charity events. So any issues with not having access to Sonar plugins will not be an issue. I still have Sonar installed on this machine but it has not been loaded in a couple of years. So, I guess I actually have access to those plugs. I'm assuming that SO can use them. The cross grade for Studio One is only $199 so that is worth trying.

SO can access only a limited number of Sonar plugs. None of the ProChannel-specific ones are eligible. Several of the other ones will work, and you can use the DX ones with a wrapper - so I didn't have to lose the Sonitus effects with SO.

Different DAWs for different tasks...of all the DAWs I've used, which is a considerable amount, SO is the best/fastest for taking a song from initial idea to finished mix. I do songs in days instead of weeks. FYI you can also ReWire Reason and Live easily into both SO and Sonar/Cakewalk.

Moderated by  Anderton