Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stage lighting help please!

Hi, I have bought a few stage lights, they have a hole on the bracket for mounting to a light stand. I believe this to be for an M10 bolt.

xFgKknk.png

I have some light stands I would like to use, but they are photography lighting stands, with a completely different receptor, like this.

Z3Hip.jpg

Any lighting experts out there? How do I fit stage lights to a studio stand, what adapter?

cheers

hang out with me at woody piano shack

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The normal way to mount the flat pars is on a T bar, which fits a regular telescoping aluminum light stand. You can get 4 flat pars on 1 T bar.

I have done something a bit different with my stage lights. I put a single wide angle light fixture in the 4 corners of the stage, mounted on a bracket directly above the pole, so no T bars needed. I cobbled the bracket together by cutting a square T bar down and bolting it to the U bracket.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com/images/lighting/light_snowbank_front.jpg

Moe

---

What are these "millimeters" you speak of?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

You don't want to be dicking with little nuts and screws on stage during setup and teardown every night anyhow - find a better way.

If your stands are big, around 38mm, like lighting poles (hint hint), you can use something like these speaker pole adapters

Ultimate_Support_10766_BMB_200K_Mounting_Bracket_Black_1534164424_224147.jpg

My front-lighting rig is based on those, I have two PAR38 cans cans on them, which are then mounted on poles that bolt into mounts which I made for the flypoints of my FOH speakers.

Flat pars often use 20mm tripods, though. If you can a good want to mount your light, it should be safe if they are behind the band. Note that safety is really important, because lights need to be at least 8' off the ground to look good.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

What are these "millimeters" you speak of?

Those are the things the rest of the world deals with for measurement - a bit like the "World" Series in reverse. Only America plays in it, go figure!

Don't worry, here in England we never did adopt those nasty things properly so we have a halfway house with miles/Km/lbs/Kg in random places.

Maybe with Brexit we can go back to Imperial measurements :like:

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

I would not mount more than 1 of those stage lights on the photography stands. They are not too rugged for the weight.

The photography stands are handy because they're probably 1/4-20 size (common at every hardware store) but you're right, useful for only lightweight equipment (I use them for off-camera flash attachments).

• 2 years later...