Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Canon Thread

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll start with the Canon gear that I have:

My main body is a Canon 6D that I bought new in 2013. For the type of shooting I do (mostly landscape or architectural work) it works well. The autofocus isn't that great, but since I'm mostly shooting stationary subjects it doesn't really matter.

On the lens front, I've mostly bought all used lenses, often a generation behind the current models (saves significant $$ and the results are still good)

24-70mm f/2.8 L II - bought used recently after a good price came up online.

24-105mm f/4 L. Great all-around lens and was my go-to before getting the 24-70.

16-35mm f/2.8 II L

70-200 f/2.8 L

35 mm f/2 - This is the old one with super noisy focus motor. Would like to replace it with something newer at some point

85 mm f/1.8 - I use this lens the least as the 70-200 covers most of my portraiture needs (which aren't many)

I'd like to get a 50 mm prime at some point (maybe the Sigma ART?)

What are you shooting with?

Im a Canon 80D shooter. Been thinking Id go full frame to a 6D MKII or a used 5D of some sort.

Ive been on Canon since 2011 or so and been really happy with it. The 80D is a great, relatively affordable camera that does everything pretty well.

Lenses:

Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 G2 - this is my money maker for portrait work. Fast, affordable (more expensive than the camera) and incredibly sharp. Love this lens.

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 - When my gear got stolen a few years ago this was the only lens that I had that I rebought. Landscapes, also portraits and more.

Canon 18-55mm - Yeah its the kit lens. I really dont like it but its the only wide angle lens I have so I dont use it too often.

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 - Not the newer one - the previous generation. I bought it used and it has been a regret. It needs to be sent for service due to front focus issues.

Sigma 150-600mm - A lens that my friend said was really impractical, I really love it.

I also have a ridiculous collection of manual focus vintage lenses - maybe for another thread.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I recently had 10 minutes with a Canon RP. Canons newest full frame mirrorless camera.

Pros:

Full Frame, priced well. EF lenses easily adaptable. Turning, flipping screen (one of the things that will keep me on Canon). Ergonomics were good in that event though it is a smaller body, it fit well in the hand.

Cons:

Different battery than all other Canon cameras. Lack of buttons forcing you to go to the screen to make some changes (including ISO). Slow frame rate.

More detail on the cons:

The rear screen is the place where you can change a lot of the controls. So while touching the screen to reach a particular icon youre simultaneously moving your focus point while trying to change parameters. So after I changed a parameter I would go to take picture using the viewfinder only to find my focus point was in a corner. I also found it infuriating that the rear screen was always in a live mode showing the same thing the viewfinder - I simply wanted controls back there. Maybe Id get used to these things but it simply didnt seem well thought out.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Im still using a Digital Rebel XT! I think Ive told you guys before, I dont shoot enough with it to justify replacing it even though I could afford it.

I have the 18-55mm kit lens, a zoom I got as part of a bundle I never use (lesson learned there. A cheap long lens doesnt get enough light to do anything), and the Canon 50mm that was cheap but I love.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

More detail on the cons:

The rear screen is the place where you can change a lot of the controls. So while touching the screen to reach a particular icon youre simultaneously moving your focus point while trying to change parameters. So after I changed a parameter I would go to take picture using the viewfinder only to find my focus point was in a corner. I also found it infuriating that the rear screen was always in a live mode showing the same thing the viewfinder - I simply wanted controls back there. Maybe Id get used to these things but it simply didnt seem well thought out.

Thanks for the review Mike! I'm surprised that the screen couldn't be changed to just show settings - the RP has an "info" button which on any Canon I've dealt with will change what is displayed on the screen. The RP is the entry level EOS mirrorless body though so maybe some corners were cut. I'm still looking forward to see the rumored "pro" R bodies that are coming out. All of the RF glass also looks amazing. I'll be sticking with my EF stuff for now, but I am definitely starting to have some GAS attacks.

Im still using a Digital Rebel XT! I think Ive told you guys before, I dont shoot enough with it to justify replacing it even though I could afford it.

Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it :cool:

• 4 weeks later...

I recently found a great deal on a used Canon 60D with 70-210mm lens so I added that to my collection.

Then yesterday I saw a used EFS 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM for sale. Is this a good lens? Sharp? It's posted at $180.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I recently found a great deal on a used Canon 60D with 70-210mm lens so I added that to my collection.

Then yesterday I saw a used EFS 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM for sale. Is this a good lens? Sharp? It's posted at $180.

Welcome to the Canon club! I don't know much about the 18-135 as I've never owned one, maybe Mike has? But for Canon lens reviews, I like The Digital Picture. They have a nice feature where you can compare results between different lenses

18-135 lens review: https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-18-135mm-f-3.5-5.6-IS-STM-Lens-Review.aspx

Click "image quality" at the top of the page, then you can compare between that lens and any number other lenses from the drop-down menu.

It's nice to have a foot in each camp... Nikon and Canon.

Dude, you CAN'T do that, it's like owning a Chevy AND a Ford, or a Mac AND a PC. It just ain't right. :poke:

;):D

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

http://giphygifs.s3.amazonaws.com/media/N4rq33hcLPby0/giphy.gif

• 4 weeks later...
I'm solidly in the Canon camp. My main three cameras are a 5D iii, 7D ii, and M50. They cover my three needs of landscape, birding and YouTube video. I'm really impressed with the price point for the M50 and bought my great nephew one because he is interested in videography. I will admit that the Nikon D850 almost sucked me in. Great specs, but I cannot afford to abandon my Canon lenses. Still, waiting for Canon's answer to the 850.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I'm solidly in the Canon camp. My main three cameras are a 5D iii, 7D ii, and M50. They cover my three needs of landscape, birding and YouTube video. I'm really impressed with the price point for the M50 and bought my great nephew one because he is interested in videography. I will admit that the Nikon D850 almost sucked me in. Great specs, but I cannot afford to abandon my Canon lenses. Still, waiting for Canon's answer to the 850.

Wow RABid, you've got quite a rig. Nice. Yes the Nikon D850 is a remarkable camera. Like you, I can't fathom changing all my lenses.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The Canon 90D was announced this week. As an 80D shooter myself the jump up to 32.5MP is really nice. Other improvements:

- Focus selection joystick

- 10 FPS still images at 32.5MP

- 120 FPS Video at 1080p

- Added Bluetooth in addition to Wifi

The video guys are upset because it doesn't do 24 or 23.97 fps video like the 80D, only 30 fps. It is a slight issue for me but not a critical one.

It will be interesting to see how this new 32.5MP sensor tests out. I've been wanting to go full frame in the next year but this camera has me tempted as short term upgrade.

-Mike Martin

Casio

I agree, the specs on the 90D are a nice upgrade for any crop-frame shooter (the decision to nix 24P is bizarre though)

Lately, I've been tempted to pick up a 5Ds. The price keeps dropping with the rumored high-res EOS R mirrorless on the way.

My main reason for acquiring it would actually be for digitizing film. I see more and more film shooters moving to a macro lens + DSLR on a copy stand for digitizing negatives instead of using a dedicated flatbed scanner (

). I particularly struggle with color-correcting color negative film scans, I have a hard time matching colors between images for a consistent look. There is a plug-in for light room, Negative Lab Pro, that takes a lot of the guesswork out of the color-correction process and delivers accurate results. Negative Pro is designed to work with best with RAW digital photos.

I'd want a 5Ds so I can scan a medium format image in one frame quickly. The 8688 x 5792 px sensor is about the same dimensions that I scan a 6x9 medium format negative at. Most people use lower resolution cameras and take multiple shots of sections of the medium format negative and then stitch them together, which works fine, but complicates the workflow. Also, with the 5Ds I could probably scan a roll of 120 film in a fraction of a time it takes me with a flatbed scanner.

It would also work really well as a main body for me given the main subject matter that I shoot (architecture and landscape). I was also surprised to learn that it actually has a slightly faster continuous shutter speed than my 6D! (5 fps vs. 4.5, though I'm not much of an action photographer so it doesn't really matter)

• 11 months later...

Resurrecting this thread since the Canon R5 and R6 have come out!

The big news dominating headlines right now are overheating issues in the video modes. Definitely curious as to how this issue made it all the way into production. Canon is apparently working on some sort of fix but what that is remains to be seen. My armchair engineering analysis is that there is some heat sinking issue where the connection between hot components and the body, from what I've seen many reviewers say that the body itself isn't doesn't feel incredibly warm yet they get an overheat warning. Guess we will have to wait and see what happens!

DPReview released a R5 review that I found to be very even-handed:

All of that said, I barely shoot any video. And from what I've seen so far from others in photography forums who have just received them, this is an incredible stills camera and in indeed a 5D mirrorless replacement. I am most likely going to get one of these once some bundle deals or price drops appear (this will also hopefully give some time for issues to be resolved). The autofocus looks incredible. Coming from a 6D, which probably has the worst AF system of any Canon DSLR, pretty sure this camera is going to blow my mind. I'm looking forward to see how others get along with it in the months ahead.

Still flogging a T2i.

A local craigslist sale hooked me up with some L lenses and a Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro.

I sold the 70-200 f4L, too long for crop frame for what I usually shoot and I never used it. I also sold the near mint 20d body that came with everything.

Had a 40mm STM too but sold it, didn't need it after getting the 17-40.

The rest was free, actually I made $10 and kept the 17-40 f4L and the Tamron.

I have the 50mm 1.8 STM which is so much better than the Plastic Fantastic Nifty Fifty.

Also the kit lens which is pretty OK at best, not the sharpest - 18-55.

And a Tamron 24-70 zoom, sharp and focuses well but not good in low light.

Plus adapted Pentax 50mm 1.4, 28 2.8 and 135 2.5 that I rarely use. The 50 is sweet, smooth bokeh in the out of focus areas.

For all that, mostly I just take photos of stuff I am selling. I used to shoot dance, theater, burlesque and circus performance but it's been a while.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

While I am at it, I used to own a 5d and a 5d MkII.

For low light with action I needed to shoot at ISO 3200.

Both cameras had terrible looking pattern noise in the shadows.

I was shooting ice skating at that point, the room was not brightly lit, the action was swift and flash of any kind was not allowed.

I had the 70-200 2.8 and the battery grip. It got heavy after a few hours and was huge and obvious.

I realized I'd stopped taking it anywhere so I sold the big stuff.

And - today I found a fully functional Canon Speedlite 420 EX with the vinyl slipcover in great condition for $3.99 at the thrift store. I needed a backup flash, I use them to trigger the slaves in my White Lightnings.

If you are shopping like that, ALWAYS check the battery compartment. Any signs of corrosion, set it back down and walk away. This was clean and shiny inside.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I'm about to order the R5. I admit the deals on some of the other models right now are insane but I really want the eye autofocus and the IBIS. It seems like a big step up in every regard. That being said when Canon releases an APS-C mirrorless to replace the 90D or the 7D-II I'll be very tempted to add that to the rig just for birding.

-Mike Martin

Casio

I'm about to order the R5.

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! DO ITTTTT!!!!! :evil:

Make it easy for me, buy this and I'm set.

https://reverb.com/item/34808971-roland-super-jx-mks-70

-Mike Martin

Casio

That's how much ta JX-70 go for now? I had no idea they were that much in demand. I have mine from back in the day. I think I purchased it for $700, but that was like 25 years ago.

I've heard nothing but great things about the R5. People are salivating over this.

That's how much ta JX-70 go for now? I had no idea they were that much in demand. I have mine from back in the day. I think I purchased it for $700, but that was like 25 years ago.

I've heard nothing but great things about the R5. People are salivating over this.

That is actually a low price for a MKS-70 these days. They're usually going for $1400-1500 if you have a memory card and more if you have the programmer.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Ooops, sorry, I meant MKS-70. I used to describe it as "two JX-10s in a box" or some such thing. Anyway, I have the programmer and a memory card with mine. I think I purchased it in the very early '90s for about $700. And I didn't mean to imply that your price was high. I just had no idea that they were worth that much in general!

• 1 month later...
Word on the street is that Mr. Martin is now the proud owner of an R5 and putting it through its paces. I am looking forward to his full review!

Yes, I received my R5 just over a week ago and my family and I just returned from a trip to North Carolina to see my dad which included a couple days at the beach.

In a word, outstanding. It is beyond my expectations.

Size and weight - this was a surprise. As I had previously used many 5D bodies, the size of the R5 is remarkable. Same weight as my 80D and maybe a little bit smaller in some ways. Fits in my hand in a comfortable familiar way. Coming from Canon, it was very familiar to operate. The menus are deeper and there are more options to configure but it is fairly intuitive. There are enough customization options to make it suit anyones needs.

EVF - Nice display. Obviously it is different from looking directly through glass but the capabilities here are so rewarding. The WYSIWYG nature of using the camera is amazing. You can display the histogram in the viewfinder too. I did have to increase the viewfinder brightness when I was outside at the beach but no other issues otherwise.

Focus system - Besides the resolution itself, the focus system is simply incredible. It feels like cheating. Shots that would have been difficult if not impossible on my 80D such as birds in flight it was capturing them with incredible precision. People portraits are just effortless, it tracks the eye and nails it every time. The number of frames per second is just stupid. I did a very, very quick test of the CRAW format vs RAW and did not notice any difference in quality so storage won't become a huge problem when it takes so many photos so fast. I still have some things to figure out though. Walking on the beach with my family, I'd want to quickly switch from "Animal Eye Autofocus" for birds to taking a landscape where I wanted a different focus priority and back. This seemed a little tedious but I think I just don't know what I'm doing yet. I did eventually set up some custom modes and maybe this is the solution.

Resolution, Dynamic range & cropping - I'll post some sample images here soon with some heavy crops to give you an idea but having the flexibility of 45MP is outstanding. As much as I thought the R6 would be enough I know I would have been disappointed stepping down from the 24MP of my 80D. Dynamic range is also great, no issues here and I was able to shoot some very clean images at ISO6400. I do own some crop-sensor EF-S lenses. One of them, a Sigma 30mm ART I've used on full frame cameras before. The R5 recognizes this lens as EF-S and crops the images 1.6x providing a 17MP image. I was expecting this lens to work full-frame so I have gaps in my lenses below 50mm which I'll have to address soon. I'm very used to the reach of a crop-sensor body so there are some things such as photographing the moon that the 80D is still great at but the precision, speed and resolution of the R5 wins out in almost every other case. I may just get a 1.4x teleconverter for my birding lens so that will improve the reach.

Tilt Flip Screen - I always used this on my 80D so happy to have an even better one on the R5.

What else can I answer for you?

-Mike Martin

Casio

• 1 year later...