Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rockonomics

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it certainly seems that, except for the biggest names, very little money is to be made from performing or recordings. But I guess the situation is similar in sports -- the biggest names make enormous sums, but everyone else (like a minor league baseball player) makes very little.

Nice flow chart! I originally said "seems that" because I have no detailed knowledge of the path on your chart that leads to "Profitable Musician." :laugh: Can a non-big-name musician do reasonably well financially just with performing?

Can a non-big-name musician do reasonably well financially just with performing?

This is specific to my situation - definitely non-big-name. The flowchart was created in 5 minutes, so it's not too detailed.

From my experience, the answer is yes. I spent years playing originals/recording and trying to "make it" - was broke the whole time. And I mean broke. When the originals band split up, I became a hired gun, cared less about the art and took lots of lucrative gigs (weddings, clubs, parties, cocktail hours, etc.). The songs weren't always fun, but I was making money.

Steve Coscia

Steve, I love the flowchart.

Please consider adding a decision loop next to practicing .

It would be something like do you really like getting better?

Yes = go back to practicing

No = hang your instrument on a wall in your home and exit

Last weekend was a perfect example.....

Friday Night: spend months and months writing, recording, and practicing original material, distributing tickets and promoting, working out stage production and lighting, show up at 3pm in the afternoon for load in, set up and sound check for the evening show, and get paid.....nothing. But we sold some CD's and shirts, which offset the cost to make the CDs and shirts.

Saturday Night: Fill in with a cover band that I'm not in, have never practiced with, show up at 8pm to setup and sound check for a 9pm show, leave with $300.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Friday Night: spend months and months writing, recording, and practicing original material, distributing tickets and promoting, working out stage production and lighting, show up at 3pm in the afternoon for load in, set up and sound check for the evening show, and get paid.....nothing. But we sold some CD's and shirts, which offset the cost to make the CDs and shirts.

Saturday Night: Fill in with a cover band that I'm not in, have never practiced with, show up at 8pm to setup and sound check for a 9pm show, leave with $300.

You nailed it. That was also my experience for years.

Gotta admit, though .... it was fun making money.

Steve Coscia

I too spent years doing Blues and Jump Blues which is what I enjoy the most. Never made squat and didn't have more than 40-50 shows a year. About 15 years ago started doing more dance band/cover music. The money has been sufficient enough to pay my bills. I am certainly not well known except in the little genre I am currently in. My main band covers Motown, Beach Music, Soul, Jump Blues, Funk and Disco and there are only a hand full of songs I dislike. But they are just 3 minutes out of my life every now and then.The money is far better, but it takes 5 or more different bands to make it work. Last year I did 170 shows and this year I should be somewhere near that many.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com