Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Getting Back Into Photography

Thank you everybody for your input.

Unless you're doing some serious portraiture why not just get a 50mm f/1.8 and save a lot of money. Solves the weight issues and for video purposes gives you a bit more light than your f/2.8 lens.

Reviews tell me that most heavier lenses go out of focus under their own weight. This is going to be my last lens so I don't mind getting a good one. Also, I might want to use it for other applications later on, so a general purpose lens would be more suitable. I just want to avoid buying a 3rd lens.

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sigma lenses are lighter. Even some of the Nikon ones are as well. If you can find a good used price, the difference between an f1.8 and an f1.4 can be bigger than you'd expect, in terms of working in low natural light and also regarding lens sharpness.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• 1 month later...
Thank you everybody for your input.

Unless you're doing some serious portraiture why not just get a 50mm f/1.8 and save a lot of money. Solves the weight issues and for video purposes gives you a bit more light than your f/2.8 lens.

Reviews tell me that most heavier lenses go out of focus under their own weight. This is going to be my last lens so I don't mind getting a good one. Also, I might want to use it for other applications later on, so a general purpose lens would be more suitable. I just want to avoid buying a 3rd lens.

I purchased a 50mm f/1.4, and feel like I don't need depth of field that shallow. I probably should have saved some coin and purchased the f/1.8, which is still a very wide aperture!

If you can find a good used price, the difference between an f1.8 and an f1.4 can be bigger than you'd expect.

Price gouging... again. :mad:

I wouldn't call it price gouging. There is a huge difference in the quality of components used in making an f/1.8 vs f/1.4 lens. The 50 mm f/1.8 lens is known as a "nifty fifty", Canon and Nikon both make one. It's designed as an entry level lens to introduce you to prime lenses and large apertures. The image quality is good but it also designed for mass production: mostly or all plastic construction, a minimal number of lens elements and aperture blades, and no weather sealing.

Optically an f/1.4 lens is a more complicated design and will be physically larger. They are also more geared towards professionals, so they have features that professionals look for. Weather sealing, more aperture blades for smoother bokeh, advanced lens coatings and more elements for reduced flare and increased sharpness, and a higher quality of construction with more metal parts for robustness. Take a look at the LensRentals blog and check out an f/1.4 lens teardown. These modern lens are incredibly complicated marvels of engineering and the prices are fairly justified (IMO).