Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NEW FORUM: Bugs?

LOL, didn't get that message THIS time.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HA! but then I got the message with the last post saying I didn't get it!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

It's a double secret database error that only the mods can see, lol

Dan

So far, so good.

I did have the chance to review the forum's policy about profanity. I guess there's no good solution: people like me, the people I work with at the day job, and people in general with whom I choose to hang out tend to curse a whole lot. It's really its own form of speech. But, I don't see any other option to cut off some truly offensive speech than just avoid it. I guess, I fortune-teller Zeldar see a bunch of asterisks in the future. Oh well, it's probably for the best.

One thing I think is still missing and is a big aid in forums is mouse-over preview of a given thread.

I don't know anything about web design or how much control one has over the BBS software, but, while I understand having maximal click-throughs, I don't really need to open every single thread about which expression pedal if the OP is just doing another thing.

I will defend all requests for piano tab for that tune "Jump," though. Can't quite get that one right.

I should mention something - one of the guitar forum folks was on Facebook saying he came here and it prompted him to accept the terms of use but he couldn't find the actual terms to agree to and left the site. I ran into that once myself and just clicked OK. He was maybe just being a little cautious about not agreeing to something he couldn't read, and I think I talked him into coming back, but it should be noted that it is possible to get that prompt without seeing what you're agreeing to. He was an existing member but I think first visit since the migration.

Dan

OK definitely not a bug, but the new look...

To mis-quote Spinal Tapp "None more white".

Unlike every other forum (& there are quite a few) that I view daily, this feels like someone shining a flashlight in my face.

I know the old one wasn't TOO much different, but it really kind of hit me when I first saw this.

I DO like the (tiny) inset of avatars, and the dark blue buttons, but is there maybe some way to ameliorate the assault of whiteness?

Unlike every other forum (& there are quite a few) that I view daily, this feels like someone shining a flashlight in my face.

I know the old one wasn't TOO much different, but it really kind of hit me when I first saw this.

I DO like the (tiny) inset of avatars, and the dark blue buttons, but is there maybe some way to ameliorate the assault of whiteness?

You now have a few options, including dark themes by changing your selection in the drop-down at the very bottom of the page. I doubt all of them are fully configured but I tried one of the dark ones and quite liked it. It's great seeing the constant evolution :thu:

Oh yes, thank you, the dark theme looks very nice and my eyes feel much better thank you again

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Testing if Hungarian accented letters work

á é í ó ú ö ő ü ű

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

I should mention something - one of the guitar forum folks was on Facebook saying he came here and it prompted him to accept the terms of use but he couldn't find the actual terms to agree to and left the site. I ran into that once myself and just clicked OK. He was maybe just being a little cautious about not agreeing to something he couldn't read, and I think I talked him into coming back, but it should be noted that it is possible to get that prompt without seeing what you're agreeing to.
Yes, the same thing happened to me. Disconcerting.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

On a big monitor, I think it's the huge amount of white in the middle, between the topic names on the left and the reply count, # views, and last post time on the right. It also makes it hard to associate the info on the left with the info on the right. Also related to the loss of margin, i.e. making everything line up hard on the left, perhaps. The key for me was... make your window narrower.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

You guys all see the selecttion of styles at the bottom of the threads (under HOP TO) now?

You can switch your view to one of the Dark Modes if you want.

I never would have found that. It's not even labeled as to what it does! Cool, though. As I think I mentioned earlier, Dark themes are not for me, because I hate inverse type. But I did like the alternate approaches there that presented many more subject lines per screen, also minimizes having to scroll on the main page to have to get past all the pinned posts (more annoying when I'm working on a smaller screen). I think it will be UBBT70 for me. I like that UBBTHREADS shows the most per page, but I'd miss having the lines that separate each thread title from the next. Plus the color is ugly. ;-)

So, all of sudden, yesterday, the forum has a very different look, strong deep blues and lighter blues as boxes around choices. Cool.

But I made a post in which I embedded a link to a website. Normally you'd see the text describing where this link takes you because it's in a very noticeably different color, making it obvious. In this case I can't tell that there's something to click on unless I zoom way out, and then the dark blue type indicating it's a link is somewhat clear. But at normal zoom, I didn't see the link AT ALL, black and dark blue are just too similar to my eyes.

Here's my post with a link. Perhaps lime green could be used (kidding) to better show the contrast, or whatever was done before.

On a side note, I'm very glad this new forum doesn't try to use a typeface that is not a full black! There's a number of them, I imagine they're going for a minimalist look?, and it's more like a darkish grey color that makes it hard for old eyes to read!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

You guys all see the selecttion of styles at the bottom of the threads (under HOP TO) now?

You can switch your view to one of the Dark Modes if you want.

I never would have found that. It's not even labeled as to what it does! Cool, though. As I think I mentioned earlier, Dark themes are not for me, because I hate inverse type. But I did like the alternate approaches there that presented many more subject lines per screen, also minimizes having to scroll on the main page to have to get past all the pinned posts (more annoying when I'm working on a smaller screen). I think it will be UBBT70 for me. I like that UBBTHREADS shows the most per page, but I'd miss having the lines that separate each thread title from the next. Plus the color is ugly. ;-)

We set the default for UBBT77 for now. We may add a few more...but anyone can see whichever one they prefer.

Haven't made a formal announcement about the Styles yet because we're making a bunch of changes and haven't settled on some of them...but it does feel like we can/should do a Global Announcement on this one. :thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I'm keeping mine on "ubbcentral". I like it that way. :D

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I kept mine on ubbthreads for years. I liked keeping the theme different when I was logged in so I knew without checking. But these new themes are so readable and modern compared to those two. JMO.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

"UBBT77 - Dark" styling needs a little tweak -- the scroll bar slider and the scroll bar background are the same color (at least they are on Chrome), so you can't see where the slider is to grab it with the mouse. It still works of course, if you guess right -- you just can't see where it is.

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

I'm back to UBBCENTRAL too (though it must be my imagination, I thought it looked different last time I looked at it). It doesn't have threads with new content in bold which I'd very much prefer, but the number in parentheses in the Replies column somewhat compensates. The lack of lines between thread topics isn't an issue because the thread titles themselves are underlined. There's something aesthetically off in some ways, but maybe it's just a matter of what I'm used to. (Is the line spacing when viewing posts tighter? and some other things...)

I don't like any quite as much as what we used to have, or even the current pianoworld.com version (again, maybe in part what I'm used to). The new default is pretty but just presents too few topics on the screen at once (like half as many as UBBCENTRAL when I'm on a smaller screen).

Suggestion for the mods when evaluating themes, if they're not doing this already... check the page on a large monitor, on a small (11"-13") laptop screen, on an iPad in vertical mode, and in horizontal mode... different issues arise in terms of readability and in how much scrolling you need to do...