Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: I Like Getting Older

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[th.

Hopefully retire at 70 ? Why wait ?

Financial hiccup at my divorce, had to start over.

Are you handy with Excel ?

Sure am... I'm currently evaluating potential states to retire using an Excel tool I built. I have no intention of retiring in NY, and am seeking more favorable conditions. Suffice to say that some are economical, some are political. No family ties to leave behind when I retire so I can go anywhere.

You can also check with sibs/relatives about common health conditions. This DNA can be a predictor of potential issues and life span.

I already have a health condition that could require emergency care, so being close to help is another criteria for place to retire. Some hereditary diseases do run in my family. Fortunately I'm a goody two-shoes in that I don't smoke or drink, and I try to get some aerobics.

I hear you on the divorce. Wife numero uno was a credit card junkie. I escaped at 44 yrs of age with only $150 in savings. But I was free of the boat anchor, got a fresh start.

Had enough time to bag a good paying job and buy a townhouse. Just lucky,

I ran a 25 year [ or 25 and 12 months] cash forecast from date of retirement to see how my Retirement Account would shake out.

Good that you are on top of Excel.

Yes, healthcare proximity is #1 during retirement. All my forecast assumptions are staying in high cost CA.

You are wise to avoid the high cost states. Grass might be greener... etc.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I'm 62.....I really don't dig getting older so much, but I have a feeling I would enjoy the alternative a LOT less......

could be. Almost everyone believes that to be so.

On the other hand, I can face mortality. Then again, I might end up being a rock on Mercury.

A tough one.

[70's Songwriter]

I'll be 62 in seven months, and fortunately, I'm still in pretty good health. I don't smoke, drink or do drugs, and I walk and hike regularly. I'm still about 177 lbs and at 6 feet, that's not too bad. Just joined a gym again this week for the first time in almost thirty years.

I am starting to get some health issues, just had laser surgery on one eye for glaucoma, and scheduled for the other eye in July. My doctor just put me on pravastatin for cholesterol that's near the top end of normal range.

I'm self employed and my plan is to be at least semi-retired next year when I can collect some social security. I have no pension because I'm self-employed, but I did invest over the years.

Also, I can't wait to get my lifetime national parks pass next year. At least that's one perk of getting old. ;)

I'll be 62 in seven months, and fortunately, I'm still in pretty good health. I don't smoke, drink or do drugs, and I walk and hike regularly. I'm still about 177 lbs and at 6 feet, that's not too bad. Just joined a gym again this week for the first time in almost thirty years.

I am starting to get some health issues, just had laser surgery on one eye for glaucoma, and scheduled for the other eye in July. My doctor just put me on pravastatin for cholesterol that's near the top end of normal range.

I'm self employed and my plan is to be at least semi-retired next year when I can collect some social security. I have no pension because I'm self-employed, but I did invest over the years.

Also, I can't wait to get my lifetime national parks pass next year. At least that's one perk of getting old. ;)

I think you are going in the right direction.

About 3 years ago, I had a ' branch retina vein occlusion '. In laymans terms , had a stroke or vein blockage in my right eye. As a result, I have 80% of ' coverage ' in that eye.

I get a retina treatment every 3 months to control it. The treatment is well, gruesome.

I also have cholesterol issues. And take Losartan to control. However, I switched to a plant based diet 3 months ago, and knocked 20 points off my my cholesterol total.

I want to see if I can drop the Losartan soon, esp since I am losing weight with this diet.

Like you, I was self employed . for 10 years. But prior to that I banged up my SS, when I was corporate slave for 25 years.

I highly recommend AARP. Wife and I discovered some budget busters using AARP. We knocked down our mobile phone bill from $99 to $35.

We reduced our house and auto insurance by $350. This is cool since I dislike insurance co's.

[70's Songwriter]

I'll be 60 this August and retiring from the corporate world. I can't wait.

My relationships with my wife and kids are great. My health is pretty darn good for the time being, but not guaranteed. I feel strong and capable. There'll be enough money in retirement that we'll be fine.

I'm in three bands currently, and am hounded by others to join. I am playing better than I ever have, and then some. I have great gear and a rehearsal space.

There is very little to worry about in my world, and -- since I live in Florida -- I seem to be surrounded by happy retirees.

Getting old doesn't have to suck.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I'll be 60 this August and retiring from the corporate world. I can't wait.

My relationships with my wife and kids are great. My health is pretty darn good for the time being, but not guaranteed. I feel strong and capable. There'll be enough money in retirement that we'll be fine.

I'm in three bands currently, and am hounded by others to join. I am playing better than I ever have, and then some. I have great gear and a rehearsal space.

There is very little to worry about in my world, and -- since I live in Florida -- I seem to be surrounded by happy retirees.

Getting old doesn't have to suck.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"