Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

70�s hits featuring a polysynth?

What are some 70s hits featuring a polysynth? The earliest I can think of is Stevie Wonder and some of his songs from the 70s with TONTO and the GX-1. What are some other 70s hits featuring polysynth parts?
Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lido Shuffle, Boz Skaggs. Interlude near the end, either a poly or overdubbed mono synths (like 4+) predominant around 2:50.

[video:youtube]

Scientists are still studying to determine just what the **** the song actually means....

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Lots of polysynth on the Stxy Grand Illusion album, Come Sail Away being an obvious example. ARP Omni, I think?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Someone mentioned Autobahn, that had no polysynths other than possibly farfisa organ but that would be pushing the definition of synthesizer. All polyphonic parts were multitracked Minimoog iirc.

As for ones I know,

Abba - Summer Night City, GX-1

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4swpxuHVTs

and I'm guessing Voulez-Vouz also had GX-1

watch?v=za05HBtGsgU

Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill, Prophet 5

watch?v=_OO2PuGz-H8

Buggles - Video Killed The Radio Star, Prophet 5

I believe Kraftwerks' "The Man-Machine" had Korg PS and Polymoog

And, Jean Michel Jarre's Equinoxe album, RMI Keyboard Computer, Oberheim TVS, Yamaha CS-60

Stuff: Roland:SH-201/U-110/S-330/TR-626/M-48 Akai: miniAK/S6000 Yamaha:DX9/HS8/xs7 Korg:05R/W/AX10G Alesis: Vortex MK1 CME: UF70 classic V2/WIDI Behringer: DSP2024Px2/UMC204HD/101/340/D/03/8 ESI:1010e

Lots of polysynth on the Stxy Grand Illusion album, Come Sail Away being an obvious example. ARP Omni, I think?

Grand Illusion was Hammond, Oberheim FVS, ARP String Ensemble, and ARP Odyssey. They did use the ARP ProSoloist on earlier albums and I'm pretty sure I hear it on the middle spacey section of "Come Sail Away". I don't think Dennis DeYoung used the Omni as he was pretty open about other ARP string machines sounding like crap compared to the String Ensemble.

Grand Illusion was my introduction to synthesizers as a teenager, that album blew my mind.

Actually:

1. This Ambrosia song was a hit in 1980, so technically it's an '80s hit, albeit a very early one.

2. There are no synths in this song, just a (very nice-sounding) Fender Rhodes, acoustic grand and a Hammond B-3.

What about Foxys hits Hot Number and Get Off? They have some obvious synths on them.
Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

Actually:

1. This Ambrosia song was a hit in 1980, so technically it's an '80s hit, albeit a very early one.

Shoot!

2. There are no synths in this song, just a (very nice-sounding) Fender Rhodes, acoustic grand and a Hammond B-3.

Start listening about 1/2 way through there sure as hell is.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Actually:

Shoot!

Start listening about 1/2 way through there sure as hell is.

Definitely, probably an Oberheim. In the Keyboard interview with Christopher North he mentioned getting one. You can hear it distinctly during the crescendo into the 2nd chorus, and pretty obviously after the things Ill do for you in that chorus. Im fairly sure I hear it doubling the piano part at times too.

><>

Steve

Probably Genesis' worst ever song - Rutherford said it took 10 minutes to write the lyrics - had ARP Quadra all over it............... yeuch.

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Probably Genesis' worst ever song - Rutherford said it took 10 minutes to write the lyrics - had ARP Quadra all over it............... yeuch.

Worse than I Can't Dance?

Hmmm - yes!

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Hey I like that song!

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Hey I like that song!

Theres no accounting for taste!

Cant it be both?

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

Can't be as bad as the d-d-d-d-dance song "Invisible Touch"