Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can you play 10ths?

Can I? Not really.

Do I? You bet your a**

Should I? Da** right.

It's funny, I can hit the wider tenths on tunes where I use the technique (in keys like Eb, Bb, D, E, A), but for some reason, although Iike playing in Db and Ab, it just never came up, so I'd just invert the chords or roll them.

But, I can only do a true walking tenth bassline in some of the keys with few accidentals or minor keys.

Even though my hands are about the same size, the LH has a lot more reach.

I think it's just practice, over years.

Within limits, of course.

I think that web between 1 and 2 is pretty pliable. Also, cultivating a strong cokenail could help. Or not.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy plays 10ths and other intervals with his fourth finger and thumb. Possibly he has a problem with his little finger since he tends to avoid using it. It takes some contortion of the left hand to do it this way but does make some sense since the fourth finger is longer than the little finger. I tried it and it can be done but would take some getting used to after using fifth and thumb all these years. So I will probably stick to rolling the wider 10th intervals.

[video:youtube]

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Until then, here's a workaround for for reaching 10ths.

Holy sh** Christ motherf******* godd****** motherf****** sh*** f*** on a f******* pile of god****** mother****** sh*** Christ goddamned.

That's it, I'm getting one of those.

F***** godd***** christ bet your f****** a** I'm getting one of those.

Not really cheating any more than a banjo player wearing fingerpicks. IMHO.

Most of my life I was able to hit a 10th with either hand relatively effortlessly. These days, with arthritis in my left thumb and pinkie, I really have to think about it.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I've said this here before and I'll say it again, despite a surprising amount of negative feedback when I first mentioned it: given advances in manufacturing technology, I would love to see a company make keyboards with scaled-width keys for different hand sizes, for players who want to reach 10ths but can't on standard-size keys. Some people likened this to lowering the hoop for shorter basketball players, which I would consider an apt analogy if you view making music as a competition. I don't. I want people who have the desire and the drive to have every opportunity to play the music they'd like to play, and not be hung up by arbitrary physical limitations.

There IS a company making keyboards scaled for various size hands, and they've been around for a while

http://www.steinbuhler.com/html/our_story.html

The trouble is, of course, that it is expensive, a one-off deal, and not stage ready. But for a serious amateur or a pro who primarily teaches and concertizes, it's an answer

I can't play any 10ths. I can do 9ths, but in fact, even octaves can tire me out.

I don't hold with the "rolling 10ths sounds great." It sounds good when a rolled chord would sound good, but there is nothing like the sound of walking 10ths in the left hand.

I wish there were a portable stage keyboard with a great action and a smaller scaled keyboard, but all the smaller digitals have horrid action.

A little if I had to. Some uprights that are older had different size keys than grands. Tuners I know say it's a bitch when replacing sets of Ivories on older pianos because the key sizes are different. One of my teachers has small hands. She was in Cuba and the Russians there taught her tricks to accommodate for having small hands. A lot of things are doable if you practice enough. Tenths are really awkward for a lot of us to play anyway.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com