Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: I Like Getting Older

Last I knew the march of time and aging is inevitable.

There are many positives, you young whipper snappers. Or wicked snackers, whichever you prefer.

1) You Do Not have to work any more

- such as grovel for money or put up with 30 yr old bosses

- this assumes you planned your retirement

- no life wasting commutes

2) Have lots of time to pursue passions

- you dedicate many more hours for your music.

- play in the garden and pull weeds

- bike ride around fav spots

- consider new outdoor activities

3) More time to work out and have muscle tone that 30 yr olds are jealous of

- sure, I am not running any marathons and benching 250 lbs. I decide my

own goals,

- really lose those extra 20 pounds, instead of the yo yo diets you read about.

that do not work. FYI, there is no cheesy pizza diet, sorry.

4) No more squabbling kids or other annoyances

- thats right, if the kids are 21, time for them to get gone.

- the wife still has to work. More time to blast music I like and she dislikes

5) Avoid the herd

- most are hammered for time, have to work +50 hours and run essential

errands on week ends etc. I can shop for groceries in the morning

- don't tell me you love your corporate job. Not buying it. I know

you have to work, it's ok.

- at this age, I don't bitch about the same stuff others bitch about.

6) Taking care of your health is not a bad thing.

- lots of folks ignore dental and doctor visits. Now you

have no time for procrastination.

- 1 hour afternoon naps are not evil time wasters

7} I love Mondays

- Monday is the day after Sunday.

- 7 day week ends are the norm.

I will think of a few more positives :D

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I took my retirement when i was in my twenties and my body could enjoy it. I hear I had a really good time. :w00t:

I totally love what I do now. I don't really have too much reason to stop any time soon...except maybe for the occasional repair... :facepalm::rolleyes:

...and I do need to work on remembering that there are gears between first and fourth. :idea:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I retired from the rat race at 63. I did have my own business for 10 yrs prior- so I glided into full retirement act 63.

[70's Songwriter]

It depends on how much older. Im 61, and the last four years have been absolute shit health wise. Ive led a relatively healthy life, too - dont smoke, drink, or do drugs, though until recently Id been about 25 lbs overweight, which isnt horrible. Down closer to my fighting weight now. Heart problems at first, and now some kind of rheumatoid crap going on. Got a closet full of meds now that Im sure are pickling my kidneys and liver, which should be even more fun in about another 10 years.

Nope, sorry, so far Im not a fan of this getting old crap. At all.

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

I retired from the rat race at 63. I did have my own business for 10 yrs prior- so I glided into full retirement act 63.

Well, I envy you. I am 61 and technically still working, but I work remotely for a company out of state and the hours I keep are my own. I could retire anytime, but can certainly use the money while it is coming in.

Unfortunately, while I've often looked forward to these years, two very difficult neurological disorders have complicated my daily existence. It's rough, but I am doing okay.

Regardless of your age, if you have your health you have damn near everything. Enjoy!

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

It depends on how much older. Im 61, and the last four years have been absolute shit health wise. Ive led a relatively healthy life, too - dont smoke, drink, or do drugs, though until recently Id been about 25 lbs overweight, which isnt horrible. Down closer to my fighting weight now. Heart problems at first, and now some kind of rheumatoid crap going on. Got a closet full of meds now that Im sure are pickling my kidneys and liver, which should be even more fun in about another 10 years.

Nope, sorry, so far Im not a fan of this getting old crap. At all.

I don't know where you are located, but I bang on my health care and dental care

I also have Afib, bet you heard of that.

I am taking full advantage of health care and maintain what I have, into my 80's.

I also take some meds that potentially crap my liver/kidney. I take 4 full blood tests

every year to monitor my #'s.

Don't get depressed, keep fighting, brother. Get tested, and aggressively pursue

all medical specialties.

[70's Songwriter]

Well, I envy you. I am 61 and technically still working, but I work remotely for a company out of state and the hours I keep are my own. I could retire anytime, but can certainly use the money while it is coming in.

Unfortunately, while I've often looked forward to these years, two very difficult neurological disorders have complicated my daily existence. It's rough, but I am doing okay.

Regardless of your age, if you have your health you have damn near everything. Enjoy!

I have to be aggressive about pursuing health care. I see lots of folks in their 70's, broken down, diabetic, obese, etc etc.

I will not be that person. Some people are afraid of doctors , hospitals, dentists . I am not. Know more than your

doctors and demand is my advice.

I retired somewhat early because stress is a killer. I don't worry about ' running out of money " . My excel

spreadsheet goes out 20 years.

Social Security does no dam good, if you die before 65. I am an advocate of quality life today. Take the money. it's yours.

[70's Songwriter]

I like having "old man strength." it drives my 20 & 21 year old sons crazy.

I have some of that.

I knock out +30 pushups in a decline before my 3 mile run.

This irritates a few of my 30 something neighbors

[70's Songwriter]

After a lifetime of them - no more sh*t music/ gigs, with hack players/ singers, playing for morons, or people that don't give a f*ck if you're there or not.. Oh I missed a call for a gig ? Who f..ing cares ! You can't imagine how much this means to me. ;)

On the other hand, I keep slowing down, running. I've lost a solid 2-3 minutes a mile since I came back from the fractured sacrum/pelvis 14 months ago. I don't think I'll get it back.

Now for the last three months I'm trying to work through this patella tendonitis, aka runner's knee, that came on out of nowhere.

My chronic arthritic neck, I see a Chiro every 2 weeks, limits my hours and intensity at the piano. But not everyday. I have good days and bad.

Overall I'm blessed to be still running after 42 years, live in an area where you enjoy the outdoors practically 365 days a year, semi-retired, practice everyday on a Steinway D. Just got my eyes fixed with the cataract surgery - a modern miracle ! Generally my wife and I are healthy.

We both have much to be thankful for after a lifetime of paying dues.

freedom is delicious, brother.

I have full degenerative arthritis on my knees- I am hassling my GP at Kaiser for cortisone shots.

Apparently, I have to persist in explaining that 4 tylenols are not cutting it.

[70's Songwriter]

60 here. Due to financial problems during the two-thousand-aughts, I can't really retire before I am about 70. Health-wise, I'm just a stone or so overweight, and working on it. Never had "old guy strength," but I recently amazed my son by climbing a slightly rickety >10 meter ladder to dislodge a rope from a tree. (He was cautious about climbing; I'm not.)

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

60 here. Due to financial problems during the two-thousand-aughts, I can't really retire before I am about 70. Health-wise, I'm just a stone or so overweight, and working on it. Never had "old guy strength," but I recently amazed my son by climbing a slightly rickety >10 meter ladder to dislodge a rope from a tree. (He was cautious about climbing; I'm not.)

yes, 2008 was a wipe out. Many BK's here in CA from that.

I lucked out had a townhouse and the later hot market bounce plus some luck saved my butt.

I have poor balance/agility. a 4 foot ladder is my limit.

[70's Songwriter]

I have full degenerative arthritis on my knees- I am hassling my GP at Kaiser for cortisone shots.

Yeah if this knee thing doesn't subside in the next few months, I'll go the cortisone route. The insurance doesn't cover the PRP shot- Platelet-Rich Plasma- which would be my first choice.

I spent an hour twenty at the gym today working hard on that knee. I feel if I can go more often there, that's the key in getting it better.

I think cortisone will give us knees of a 17 yr old, for a few months. Which is what I hope to experience.

There was some kind of gel injection that got good reports- but Kaiser said no bueno.

I also do squats on a machine to build up the buttock muscles and upper thighs hamstrings. I am starting to see some benefit as I increase my reps.

[70's Songwriter]

At 64 I run out of breath quickly, doesn't take much. My brother who's a couple of years older has got a similar constitution and he just ran a half marathon, he's been running his whole life.

Guess I took it all for granted. Never needed to watch my weight, and always had enough energy for the handyman/construction projects I do sometimes. No more- I'm 30 pounds overweight, ALL in the gut (so it makes me look ridiculous), and I can hardly do anything without getting winded and tired. All kinds of heart problems and high blood pressure.

Better late than never- pretty motivated these days, the hardest thing has been to stop eating after dinner (I get in a endless snack mode) and exercise more, which of course is an uphill battle these days. Oh, and get out of the easy chair and practice more!

It really is a case of taking the high road- the low road is all to easy and we all know where that leads, esp at this age. Carpe diem!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Damn! You're a lot older than what I had in mind. I was wrong by about 20 years or so! Your music -even the ones with retro feel- comes from a young-er spirit. Usually people in this age bracket don't take chances and/or experiment with material out of their comfort zone. No wonder you never talk shit and just enjoy your instrument and tracks you compose. Great job! I do music for living and can never retire from it...but if I ever make it to your age, I would love to have that type of attitude. No wife, no kids so I'm thinking I might have a shot.

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

O

At 64 I run out of breath quickly, doesn't take much. My brother who's a couple of years older has got a similar constitution and he just ran a half marathon, he's been running his whole life.

Guess I took it all for granted. Never needed to watch my weight, and always had enough energy for the handyman/construction projects I do sometimes. No more- I'm 30 pounds overweight, ALL in the gut (so it makes me look ridiculous), and I can hardly do anything without getting winded and tired. All kinds of heart problems and high blood pressure.

Better late than never- pretty motivated these days, the hardest thing has been to stop eating after dinner (I get in a endless snack mode) and exercise more, which of course is an uphill battle these days. Oh, and get out of the easy chair and practice more!

It really is a case of taking the high road- the low road is all to easy and we all know where that leads, esp at this age. Carpe diem!

Take this for what its worth. I used to get sick to my stomach after 30 minutes of mowing my lawn. After negative gastro intestinal tests, I was asked to do a nuclear stress test. I had my first one at 39. This one was at 66. Turns out there was a 90% blockage of the left artery. Since the triple bypass Ive lost 50 pounds and do cardio 30 minutes a day for 6 days a week. I have a recumbent bike, an air bike, and a treadmill in my rec room, so no need for a gym.

My mantra is simple: my surgeon did his best to give me a second chance, so Im not going to screw up his record.

And, yeah, being retired gives me more time to practice and chase kids off my lawn....

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

And, yeah, being retired gives me more time to practice and chase kids off my lawn....

Jake

Sounds like you get all kinds of exercise! Made me laugh.

Damn! You're a lot older than what I had in mind. I was wrong by about 20 years or so! Your music -even the ones with retro feel- comes from a young-er spirit. Usually people in this age bracket don't take chances and/or experiment with material out of their comfort zone. No wonder you never talk shit and just enjoy your instrument and tracks you compose. Great job! I do music for living and can never retire from it...but if I ever make it to your age, I would love to have that type of attitude. No wife, no kids so I'm thinking I might have a shot.

Great to see you, Sam, and thanks for the bouquets ! Musically, I am about 30 yrs late, but thats how it rolls ;)

Writing originals is cathartic. Have a variety of themes in the gut and it finds a place in a song.

I suppressed my muse for a long time, in conventional life[ raising a family etc].

About 3 yrs ago, something smacked me in the head, and I got serious about recording.

66 might seem to be eons away if you are +30, but just think how much wisdom and skill you

will accumulate.

Your fingers are always on fire and I follow your mini epics. Let me know what you are up to in LA.

[70's Songwriter]

One of the better films I've seen in recent years, All About Time, now on Netflix, epitomizes the best understanding I've seen on living to the fullest. Long story short, the movie is about this family in which the men can travel back in time and re-do anything. A bit of a spoiler here, but as his life progresses he finds himself using this capability less and less, 'cause he's learned to be very present in his life. Eyes wide open.

I'm 56 and still strong as an ox and agile, although my endurance is getting shorter. Carting Anvil cases/racks at gigs keeps me in shape, it doesn't exhaust me but I do perspire more so I make sure I am hydrated. I can still climb the maple trees in my parents' back yard. My band recently played an outdoor party and with the warm weather I wore spandex biking shorts... the ladies liked those and now the band is insisting I wear them for every show. I walk a lot and that is to blame for the legs that look good in spandex. Still have a head full of hair although the beard is half grey now. Hopefully I can make it to 70 before I retire, and hopefully I'll still be in good health.

My knee got so bad I couldn't gig. Tylenol never worked for me. I asked my Kaiser GP for cortisone shot and she gave it to me. Fixed me right up. Knee pain hasn't been bad for a quite a while now. If you have to hassle your GP for a shot and he/she won't give it, maybe you need to switch to another GP.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Getting older sucks.

There, I said it. It needed to be said.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

How about just being grateful that you're having the opportunity to get old?

I'm 56, had my first child at 50, second at 53. I don't think I'd recommend doing it this way. If I could do it over, I'd start at 35-40. But on the other hand that old cliché about "they keep you young" rings true to me.

I've always lived a healthy life. Moderate exercise every day, try not to skip a day, ever. Eat right most of the time. It makes a huge difference. If you haven't been doing it, well, you can't start yesterday, but you can start today.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I'm 56 and still strong as an ox and agile, although my endurance is getting shorter. Carting Anvil cases/racks at gigs keeps me in shape, it doesn't exhaust me but I do perspire more so I make sure I am hydrated. I can still climb the maple trees in my parents' back yard. My band recently played an outdoor party and with the warm weather I wore spandex biking shorts... the ladies liked those and now the band is insisting I wear them for every show. I walk a lot and that is to blame for the legs that look good in spandex. Still have a head full of hair although the beard is half grey now. Hopefully I can make it to 70 before I retire, and hopefully I'll still be in good health.

And you are humble ;)

Hopefully retire at 70 ? Why wait ?

Are you handy with Excel ?

You can also check with sibs/relatives about common health conditions. This DNA can be a predictor

of potential issues and life span.

[70's Songwriter]

How about just being grateful that you're having the opportunity to get old?

Sure I am grateful.

I would be more grateful if you would donate your old cargo shorts to a worthy party ;)

[70's Songwriter]

And you are humble ;)

Hopefully retire at 70 ? Why wait ?

Financial hiccup at my divorce, had to start over.

Are you handy with Excel ?

Sure am... I'm currently evaluating potential states to retire using an Excel tool I built. I have no intention of retiring in NY, and am seeking more favorable conditions. Suffice to say that some are economical, some are political. No family ties to leave behind when I retire so I can go anywhere.

You can also check with sibs/relatives about common health conditions. This DNA can be a predictor of potential issues and life span.

I already have a health condition that could require emergency care, so being close to help is another criteria for place to retire. Some hereditary diseases do run in my family. Fortunately I'm a goody two-shoes in that I don't smoke or drink, and I try to get some aerobics.