Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Its been 8 Months- has MODX met your plans/expectations ?

All those keyboards in one store on the floor is mind blowing and sad at the same time!

I tried a MODX-7 today and was surprised by how much I didn't like the action - which felt to me identical to the MOXF-6. I can't imagine playing piano on it outside of basic rock/chords and actually prefer the action on my SW Nord Electro, which itself is a compromise.

However the sounds are stellar, which is leading me towards a MODX-8 (they didn't have one on the floor but I played the Montage equivalent). I would pair this with a Viscount Legend or HX3 expander.

There was also a Yamaha CP-73 on the floor and I loved its action. For a compact solution to mainly piano gigs this would be hard to beat. The paucity of other sounds though is baffling - even the same amount as the CP-4 would have justified its price tag a little more.

I also tried a Stage 3 Compact and thought the MODX really trumped it in the synth section.

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The MODX7 in action last weekend :-)

Awesome stuff David!

Does that song usually go over well? Seemed to in that clip. A couple of the boys in our band are keen on it but I've been a bit of a roadblock - I'm a little more convinced having seen you guys do it.

And tell your guitarist to get those Fender amps out of your way. He's blocking the star of the show!

• 4 weeks later...

I've had MODX 8 about two weeks and just wanted to sing the praises of the Scene buttons, without which I wonder how i ever managed.

Here's an example based on that famous last two minutes of Mr Blue Sky, the coda after the big chord. This sounds complicated but the MODX makes it easy.

Scene 1 - Piano patch in Part 1 for the chords with pedal bass note. Also has a choir patch on Part 2 which is silent until I bring it in via a fader for the repeat.

Scene 2 - Same phrase but now thickened with String section added in Part 3 (so piano, choir, strings) and played an octave higher.

Scene 3 - Mutes piano/choir and add 2nd string patch in Part 4 with more attack for descending arpeggios moving to the slower chord section.

Scene 4 - Add piano back in under strings for the rippling, descending arpeggios.

Scene 5 - After piano/strings figure hits climactic high note in Scene 4, this mutes everything except string section to play the final cello figure

Scene 6 - Piano added back in for that last big chord.

All this is without any note cut-off since I'm only using four parts (piano/choir/two string sections). I have to say i'm looking to add a 5th part for the vocoder at the end but that might actually cut out the last big chord of Scene 6. This four-part cut off IS a limitation that's quickly reached on the MODX, especially since a lot of the most impressive patches use more than 4 parts fairly regularly. Switching between those does result in cut-off.

The once that don't (single parts, labelled green) are therefore the ones you're more likely to build your sounds from - and they're basically the Motif soundset. So I'm not finding the individual sounds themselves particularly mind-blowing (actually since i mention choirs here, the single-part patches are quite poor in this area!)

But it's the possibilities for sculpting those sounds using the performance parameters that are exciting, and I've yet to really explore the Superknob etc. Add in the scenes as above, the light weight (altho the board is fairly deep) and the great price-point, and I think the MODX is a keeper.

Just today I loaded the Montage Expansion library onto the MODX6 and spent a great 2 hours jamming with the presets. There were a lot of single part sounds, tweaked DX7 patches and some fantastic pads and multi-part arp performances. It struck me again just how great this board sounds and how quickly you can find inspiration. Will feature some of these patches on my channel soon.
hang out with me at woody piano shack

I have 5 solid gigs with my MODX6 since a bought it.

Still in love with it and beat dollars Ive spent on hardware in a very long time.

The sounds are great. I have been loading and experimenting my old MOXF sounds and some Montage sounds.

On my gigs , everything comes from the MODX6. Played from itself or an 88 note board/controller.

The Superknob changed my life, in terms of hardware boards. I have created and continue to create complex programs with an FC7 controlling the Superknob. This allows me to change many parameters during a song without taking my hands off the keys.

Yamaha has a winner here IMHO

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Just today I loaded the Montage Expansion library onto the MODX6 and spent a great 2 hours jamming with the presets. There were a lot of single part sounds, tweaked DX7 patches and some fantastic pads and multi-part arp performances. It struck me again just how great this board sounds and how quickly you can find inspiration. Will feature some of these patches on my channel soon.

On the Yamaha MODX forum, I asked for original Song writer recordings using MODX.

Nada.

I would imagine MODX is an immersive jam factory- loads of fun.

Interested in finished recorded Songs, lets say multi track original songs.

I checked YouTube and Sound Cloud- no original song recording with MODX.

I figured it was my searching. Should be lots of recorded MODX original songs.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I'm also liking the scene capability.

On a couple of tunes I've started taking advantage of the "Motion Control" option. For the main gig that I use the modx, I stand and have issues fading sounds in and out with the fc7 while trying to still use the sus pedal. So now i'm using the motion control with either the front panel button, or the extra pedal to move the superknob (controlling whatever I need changed) from one scene to another. For example in a song where i'm playing a piano sound and I want a smoothly introduce strings, I just hit the button and it moves the superknob at a predefined speed and fades in the strings.

I know some would say this is way too much concern over small technical things that no one else cares about, but it makes me happy! :)

For example in a song where i'm playing a piano sound and I want a smoothly introduce strings, I just hit the button and it moves the superknob at a predefined speed and fades in the strings.

I know some would say this is way too much concern over small technical things that no one else cares about, but it makes me happy! :)

This IMHO is one of the coolest feature of the Superknob/Motion Control for exactly the situation you use it. I do the same on some songs.

David

Had mines for a few months. My thoughts:

I bought it to be a synth & sound design scratch pad, and to be a 1-board solution for gigs.

Sounds kick-ass. I truly think it's the closest hardware equivalent to a soft-synth rig running omnisphere. Motion-control is stupid powerful and deep.

I was looking forward to getting in deep and programming it for gigs. Then I found out that programming sounds for a 60 song setlist for a band you've been playing with regularly for over 7 years isn't actually fun. If I was doing new songs, sure. But I just didn't enjoy the endless days of programming the first 3 weeks I had it.

Considering how deep it is, the MODX is fairly okay to programme...but it isn't the easiest in the world either. Getting my head around the effects and CC mapping was a frustrating endevour. Wasn't too bad once I learned it, though.

The keyboard is so deep that I discovered I don't actually like deep instruments and programming as much as I thought. I thought I'd enjoy getting lost in sound design late into the wee hours at home, when actually I've found enjoy the simplicity of playing the hell out of a few good sounds much more.

It's a good board, and I'm about to take it out to a rehearsal just now for a big gig I have at the end of June. The gig is pretty synth intensive, and I know that whatever happens the MODX will see me through as comfortably as a soft-synth rig would. It got compliments from other band members too. Very warm sounding.

Once that gig is done though, I've a mind to sell it. I can't see myself using it for the gigs I have booked for the rest of the year. My Electro could cover most of those gigs.

If I had a lot of synth based gigs with complex sounds and setups needed, I'd keep the MODX and chase away anyone who tried to take it from me with a stick. But the simple truth is I don't, and I'd rather spend my time playing than programming.

So how many of you use John Melas Editor/Librarian software? I had it back with my XS7, it's very well done, and as good as the onboard screen is, for more complex setups I would think it would make a big difference.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I use the Melas software with my MODX.

I use it primarily to organize things. Also, as you said, it is VERY helpful when making very complicated setups.

yes, the touch screen makes things easy, but as usual, Melas software take it to another level. I've been using his stuff since my MOX and MOXF days.

David

Have any MODX owners installed Chicks Mark V for Montage?

Its advertised as being MODX compatible

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

• 3 weeks later...

After a hot and tiring gig yesterday, I'm debating a purchase. I gig with my MOXF6 as my top board for synth, pads, etc. and my Nord on bottom for organ and piano. I would love a one board solution for those pain in the *** load ins (and near 100 degree days) and was wondering if it's time to add a MODX7 for my 70's/80's/90's gigs.

To those who have moved up from the MOXF (particularly the 6) - is it really such a big improvement?

I would load the Chick sounds from my expansion pack - and my Organimations (both bread and butter backups for the Nord) but other than gaining an octave, have folks found that the extras of the MODX7 merit the cash outlay?

Thanks, in advance....

I ditched the MODX8 after 12 months. The keybed finally got to me. The sounds were alright, the OS left a bit to be desired, but useable - but the keybed, terrible!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

After a hot and tiring gig yesterday, I'm debating a purchase. I gig with my MOXF6 as my top board for synth, pads, etc. and my Nord on bottom for organ and piano. I would love a one board solution for those pain in the *** load ins (and near 100 degree days) and was wondering if it's time to add a MODX7 for my 70's/80's/90's gigs.

To those who have moved up from the MOXF (particularly the 6) - is it really such a big improvement?

I would load the Chick sounds from my expansion pack - and my Organimations (both bread and butter backups for the Nord) but other than gaining an octave, have folks found that the extras of the MODX7 merit the cash outlay?

Thanks, in advance....

So it sounds like the MOXF6 doesn't do what you need to be able to use it on a one-board gig, and you're wondering whether the MODX7 will. Well, I think it depends on why the MOXF6 won't work for you. I would say that, for single board gig use, the MODX7 offers you three specific advantages.

1 ) 76 keys instead of 61

2) Seamless sound switching, which allows you to have some smooth transitions that could otherwise require two boards (since two boards gives you another way to switch sounds without any abrupt cutoffs)

3) Live Set touchscreen patch selection, which makes it easier to arrange and identify sounds for quick changes

Would that address why you can't just use the MOXF6 for this? Not that the MODX7 doesn't have other advantages, but those are the ones that specifically affect its suitability as a single-board gig, as I see it. Of course, you still won't have Nord-quality organ sounds, or a good feeling piano action,

I should probably update this a bit, but for gigging with a single board, this thread still applies... https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2940076/1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I ditched the MODX8 after 12 months. The keybed finally got to me. The sounds were alright, the OS left a bit to be desired, but useable - but the keybed, terrible!

you were an early bird on it. Us 88ers are a selective bunch..

If MoDX8 keyed is terrible what key bed is ' good ' for you ?

[70's Songwriter]

AnotherScott, I'm looking for another octave, similar low weight and ability to copy over a lot of my sounds. Plus access to the synth that the Electro doesn't have. My MOXF6 is great for rehearsals, just too limiting for performance (sizewise)

Thanks for the link.

AnotherScott, I'm looking for another octave, similar low weight and ability to copy over a lot of my sounds. Plus access to the synth that the Electro doesn't have. My MOXF6 is great for rehearsals, just too limiting for performance (sizewise)

Then it sounds like it could work, at least depending on your synth needs. It has the same synth functionality as the MOXF6 plus enhanced DX7-style FM synthesis. It certainly gives you the rest... extra keys, low weight, sound compatibility.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks Benny :) A little anecdote from band practice last night. We used a different rehearsal studio and the co-owner checked us out for the first time. I only had my MODX7 at practice and after we finished up he was regaling two of the other band members about how important it is to have the right sounds and that no-one does better than Yamaha on brass. He loved the sound of the board overall and I have to agree. If it makes a hack like me sound ok then it's doubly worth the buy :D

Its a bit OT, but in considering the question, I'd have to say the Roland D-50, Oberheim Matrix-12 and Digital Keyboards Synergy. The first two felt creamy, yet were also snappy to play if you went for a trill. The Synergy had an oddly pianistic feel, yet it would bounce back handily during rapid passages. The touch > sound connections were excellent on all three. The CS-80 was a pleasure to play, but it had a unique feel you had to learn before it would speak fully.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

But, David. Those are all synth action keyboards. In the case of the D-50, it's Roland's semi weight synth action of the time. The MODX8 is a fully weighted hammer action, like you find on many of Yamaha's digital pianos.

There are MODX7 and MODX6 models with synth actions, which you prefer. But it's not their best synth action.

Their best synth action is on the Montage 7, it has the FSX semi-weighted with aftertouch. Yamaha always reserves their better quality synth actions for their top of the line boards.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

But, David. Those are all synth action keyboards. In the case of the D-50, it's Roland's semi weight synth action of the time. The MODX8 is a fully weighted hammer action, like you find on many of Yamaha's digital pianos.

There are MODX7 and MODX6 models with synth actions, which you prefer. But it's not their best synth action.

Their best synth action is on the Montage 7, it has the FSX semi-weighted with aftertouch. Yamaha always reserves their better quality synth actions for their top of the line boards.

Wandering topic alert ;)

You are correct about Montage AFAIK

Did Yamaha clearly promise OS feature updates for Montage/MODX ?

I don't go by 'history ' or assume anything. was looking for a manufacturer level comment.

[70's Songwriter]

TP100 L/R on the SL88 Studio - best I've played. Just love the triple sensors, and it is pretty well weighted too. To list - Yamaha BHS, GHS Roland FA08, Korg RH3, Casio PX-5S, Roland RD700

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Thanks, in advance....

Thanks, in advance....

I moved from Motif XF7 to MOXF6 as a fly-in board, and now to MODX7. Sound wise MODX isi a modest but identifiable improvement. Much better APs imo, a lot of new sounds with motion controls, plus all the old MOXF ones you liked ... I don"t use alot of FM but others find that a great add. My bands have all said it sounds better but its not night and day to my ears. Its a modest step up, not a quantum leap.

But in terms of gig-friendly, programming ease, live set function, and god bless a 76 key version that is only 3' longer than MOXF6, its night and day a more usable gigging board imo. Super knob sounds dorky but can actually do some cool things. You know the hassle to rearrange set lists in MOXF, its easy in MODX and best yet you can read the screen!

I love its ease of use, light weight, portability and power packing punch. I use it as a one-board gigging machine, very easy to create all the layers, splits, switching parts on/off (to expand from one set of splits to 2, 3, 4 different split scenarios) that I need. Easy to import all of your MOXF programming you"ve done in the past, as you learn MODX"s new power you can still play what you were playing yesterday. I take it on fly-in gigs and its under the weight and length limits in an SKP molded case so it flies as standard luggage = free on SWA, free for me on Delta due to my FF status. My travel band always flies SWA as guitarists and bass players bring stuff too.

Its a cheap keyboard for a pro gigging machine - i don"t know what competes at $1500? I have a GC bud who gave me a 15% coupon, so i only paid $1300-ish. A lot of guys love other brands, all"s cool - i can"t knock that. But if you were good with MOXF, you"ll really like MODX alot. Jmo.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.