Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Swell Pedal for Mojo 61

My FIRST posting here! I'm really liking this site!

Man, I've been away from the keys for way TOO long................

After my mother passed recently, I used some of the $$ inherited to get a Crumar Mojo 61 clone (yeah, it's awesome!) and a Yamaha FP-30 piano (as I wanted a weighted piano keyboard mainly to help get -- and keep -- my chops in shape), as she always supported my love of music, so I felt this was a great way to honor her memory and keep the gift of music from her (and God) alive within me.

For some background, I used to tour around back in the early 80's with a custom cut-down Hammond M3 with Trek II reverb and percussion boost, a rockin' Leslie 147, a Crumar string machine, a vintage Mini Moog and a Peavey PA system. Wow, those were the days! But then at the end of the night, the guitar player would unplug his solid-state amp and walk off with the girls -- leaving the drummer and I, along with our roadie and his van, with all of our equipment to pack up and move... By the time we were done, the girls were all gone... Then after we paid the roadie and our instrument loans, there wasn't much left over...

Oh well, anyway... It's good to be back playing the keys again, and I feel like I have a good setup to build upon.

I've read every page of the LONG Crumar Mojo 61 posting and the answer to this question just isn't jumping out at me...

* * What is the best swell (volume) pedal for the Mojo 61? * *

Mine came from Kraft Music with a Roland EV-5 and the up/down travel isn't all that great. I "think" (but am not sure...) the Yamaha FC7 may have "more travel" (range)-- but is the soft-to-loud change THE SAME? Or is the volume change better for the FC7 than the EV-5?

I thought I read that the Mojo 61's pedal circuit is the limiting factor here, and I think I also read the FC7 may need to be rewired to be used on a Mojo 61 too, correct on that?

Just so you know, I did try out a Crumar MJ61-EXP2 pedal and while it was more robust, it was WAY TOO TALL and TOO BIG as eventually I want to get a set of Mojo pedals down there too! Plus, from back in my days playing the Hammond, I don't use a half moon switch at all -- instead, keeping both hands on the keys at all times! -- and I now use the Crumar's On Stage KSP350 expression (piano sustain) pedal as it is "momentary" switch, which I prefer, as sometimes I will "ride that pedal" on and off with the beat, rather than just having the Leslie running slow or fast. It's a neat effect.

Thanks for your help!

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Theres also a swell pedal that Crumar makes specifically for the Mojo 61 that behaves EXACTLY like a Hammond swell.

If you want the same experience as you had with your old M3, get that one.

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Theres also a swell pedal that Crumar makes specifically for the Mojo 61 that behaves EXACTLY like a Hammond swell.

The OP specifically stated "Just so you know, I did try out a Crumar MJ61-EXP2 pedal and while it was more robust, it was WAY TOO TALL and TOO BIG".

That being said, I'll never stop using my MJ-EXP3. ;)

Thanks all.

I just went back into the old review of the Mojo 61 and there it was in black & white...

"The short throw pedal is REALLY SHORT. The volume range changes drastically with a small amount of movement.

The Crumar long throw pedal or a Yamaha FC7 work much better."

I'll pick up an FC7 when I can, as that Crumar pedal will take up too much real estate (and is 3X the cost).

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

I also use FC-7 . I like it.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

The OP specifically stated "Just so you know, I did try out a Crumar MJ61-EXP2 pedal and while it was more robust, it was WAY TOO TALL and TOO BIG".

Oops, so sorry, Sven, I missed it... my apologies to you and the OP!

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Thanks all!

I picked up a Yamaha FC-7 pedal late yesterday -- definitely an improvement over the EV-5 that came with it (Kraft Music bundle). I'm liking it!

Old No7

Oops, so sorry, Sven, I missed it... my apologies to you and the OP!

No worries, Jim! ;)

Thanks all!

I picked up a Yamaha FC-7 pedal late yesterday -- definitely an improvement over the EV-5 that came with it (Kraft Music bundle). I'm liking it!

Old No7

Congrats. Still not the ** best ** pedal, which you asked for, but an improvement nonetheless. ;)

• 1 year later...

Sorry to pick up this post again.

Recently I had problems with my new Mojo Classic: sound disappears for seconds, then comes back. On a rehearsal the organ stopped sounding completely.

Crumar support (really fast) suggested that my (brand new) FC - 7 would cause this problem, because its 50 kohm impedance instead of 10. I will try a different pedal. But I'm still confused, cause the FC 7 is recommended quite often.

If you can find one the Roland EV-7 has a long sweep like the FC-7 but is the required 10K. Another one that appears to have a long throw is the Studiologic FP50. Not sure what pot is in it; the studiologic site doesn't say. Their similar volume pedals (The VP series) are 10K pots so there is a good chance that the FP50 might also be 10K.

BTW, I've read reports on other sites that the FC-7 can build up a fair amount of static electricity causing problems with keyboards. After 3 years of use it started causing my Kurz PC3 to reboot. Not sure why it took 3 years before it exhibited this behaviour but I had to stop using it. Try putting the FC7 on a rubber mat to isolate it; sounds crazy but reports are that this has worked with others. Since you have it no harm in giving it a shot....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Thanks, thats an interesting fact!

The Cumar EXP-10 is designed for the Crumar and has a relatively long throw. It is a huge accessoire. I've got it here right now; feel is fine (and adjustable). I will try to play as much as I can in the next day and see if the problem reoccurs. If not, I might keep the Curmar pedal.

As you have the Crumar pedal (Exp-10) I would go with that. If I didnt have the EV-7 I would go with the EXP-10. If you have an EV-5 that can be used to start a bonfire. Useless for organ.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band