Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can you play 10ths?

Have always wished I could play 10ths in the left hand, perhaps even with an added 5th or 7th.

I can play all the 10ths which have two white notes, like key of C or G.

But many major tenths are just too much of a stretch, like B, C#, D or E.

I have normal sized hands with longish fingers. Do you think it is possible to hit all the 10ths with enough exercises and training? Or should I just cheat and roll the 10ths?

What's your experience?

hang out with me at woody piano shack

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a style of playing that requires hitting 10ths? I'm genuinely asking, because I don't know. I've always been under the impression that it's optional, so do what works best for you.

I agree with Joe that a rolled 10th can be just as compelling at a struck one.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Ive seen some transcriptions of some of the greats like Fats Waller, Oscar Peterson, etc. hitting the tenth on the odd beats and chording on the evens in a stride. I thought that was cool as hell and practiced it, but am not as fast as Ive heard it done - and if its a bit wide I rake it like everyone else. Its not easy to keep it up! Of course in classical rep like Mr. Big Hands himself, Liszt - you have to stretch this stuff all over the place - but its virtuosic material. You can spend 6 months and more on just one piece and spend the rest of your life trying to play through it flawlessly. Hence, theres many ways to voice a chord and create rhythm that sound great and dont require the reach and practice time.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I happen to have gotten lucky and won that portion of the genetic lottery, so yeah, I can reach all the 10ths. Db to F is the toughest, but I can get it, just barely. And yes, it comes in exceedingly handy for the music I play. Of course rolling them would be an option, but there are many times when I really like being able to come down on a good, solid 10th in the left hand.

I've said this here before and I'll say it again, despite a surprising amount of negative feedback when I first mentioned it: given advances in manufacturing technology, I would love to see a company make keyboards with scaled-width keys for different hand sizes, for players who want to reach 10ths but can't on standard-size keys. Some people likened this to lowering the hoop for shorter basketball players, which I would consider an apt analogy if you view making music as a competition. I don't. I want people who have the desire and the drive to have every opportunity to play the music they'd like to play, and not be hung up by arbitrary physical limitations.

I happen to have gotten lucky and won that portion of the genetic lottery, so yeah, I can reach all the 10ths. Db to F is the toughest, but I can get it, just barely. And yes, it comes in exceedingly handy for the music I play. Of course rolling them would be an option, but there are many times when I really like being able to come down on a good, solid 10th in the left hand.

I've said this here before and I'll say it again, despite a surprising amount of negative feedback when I first mentioned it: given advances in manufacturing technology, I would love to see a company make keyboards with scaled-width keys for different hand sizes, for players who want to reach 10ths but can't on standard size keys. Some people likened this to lowering the hoop for shorter basketball players, which I would consider an apt analogy if you view making music as a competition. I don't. I want people who have the desire and the drive to have every opportunity to play the music they'd like to play, and not be hung up by arbitrary physical limitations.

But then how would you arbitrarily keep people out of the club??

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Is there a style of playing that requires hitting 10ths? I'm genuinely asking, because I don't know. I've always been under the impression that it's optional, so do what works best for you...

i was just watching the rather good Homespun jazz piano lesson with Steve Allen and he used it pretty comprehensively as a very full sounding way to accompany himself. Not only outlining the chords with the 10ths, but adding extra notes and walking the 10ths up and down in passing between the chords.

It struck me that this technique allows you to use just one hand to play the bass and harmony at the same time without it sounding cluttered or muddy, leaving the right hand free for melody and embellishments.

hang out with me at woody piano shack

Good to know I'm not alone. I can slowly hit 10ths on the white keys with left hand. My right hand a 9th is it. I think because of growing up a guitar and bass player my left hand is used to stretching especially from playing bass. I think if I had started piano when young instead of Ancient then I would of developed more reach when working on it. Hands can change some when starting young and working on stretching and making cartilage more pliable.

I studied guitar with legend Ted Greene and he showed me some of the stretching he did to increase his stretch. Also you can see with guitar player who start young and practice a lot how their fingers start growing slightly crooked and some the ends of fingers will mushroom from fretting strings. I'm sure there is some equivalent with piano player who start young.

which reminds me- I can play the 8 and 9 note RH with my pinkie

For LH , the same using my thumb.

Something tells me this is not especially unique. ;)

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I can play the white tenths and the black tenths but not the mixed colors.

I like to play broken 10ths walking in quarter note rhythm, it's my lazy man's stride.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I can barely reach a ninth, and not reliably enough to incorporate it in my playing. Often I use my ring finger, rather than pinky, to reach octaves. In either case, even an octave reach fatigues me pretty quickly.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

At first I thought you were talking timing, not span. My brain almost exploded trying to count 10th notes. As for span, you got it or you don't. Those who are sympathetic will say it's not the span of the hand, it's the motion or the ocean....or something. People with small appendages can still live full lives.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I can reach white to white, black to black, some white to black (i.e., C to Eb but not B to D#), and some black to white (i.e., C# to E but not Db to F).

Sometimes I roll a tenth I can't reach. If I'm trying to get the stride piano with tenths sound I'll sometimes play a tenth that's unreachable with my left hand with my right hand. With the right timing amongst whatever else the right hand is doing this can create the illusion of playing tenths with the left hand.

Is there a style of playing that requires hitting 10ths? I'm genuinely asking, because I don't know. I've always been under the impression that it's optional, so do what works best for you.

I agree with Joe that a rolled 10th can be just as compelling at a struck one.

Tenths sound great for stride piano.

Oscar plays beautiful LH accompaniment with lots of 10ths. I seem to recall reading somewhere that he could reach 12ths.

[video:youtube]

I've said this here before and I'll say it again, despite a surprising amount of negative feedback when I first mentioned it: given advances in manufacturing technology, I would love to see a company make keyboards with scaled-width keys for different hand sizes, for players who want to reach 10ths but can't on standard size keys. Some people likened this to lowering the hoop for shorter basketball players, which I would consider an apt analogy if you view making music as a competition. I don't. I want people who have the desire and the drive to have every opportunity to play the music they'd like to play, and not be hung up by arbitrary physical limitations.

But then how would you arbitrarily keep people out of the club??

With his attitude and nasty looks.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I've said this here before and I'll say it again, despite a surprising amount of negative feedback when I first mentioned it: given advances in manufacturing technology, I would love to see a company make keyboards with scaled-width keys for different hand sizes, for players who want to reach 10ths but can't on standard-size keys. Some people likened this to lowering the hoop for shorter basketball players, which I would consider an apt analogy if you view making music as a competition. I don't. I want people who have the desire and the drive to have every opportunity to play the music they'd like to play, and not be hung up by arbitrary physical limitations.

As someone who cant, but would like to be able, to reach tenths, I just dont think I would like to have keyboards available in multiple widths. I can see the value, if one were to only ever play on the same width keybed, but is that realistic for most of us? I think it would be problematic adjusting from board to board if there were multiple widths available.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

From my point of view, walking tenths is a piano technique that disappeared in the 40s. Once the upright and electric bass became their own thing, theres no need for a piano to double those notes. My jazz teacher in the 70s told me about the shift in playing big band piano in the 40s. Conservative band leaders required the pianist to always play stride. Progressive band leaders allowed pianists to use the modern style without the bass line. He expressed this as a relief when he joined The Thundering Herd.

For solo playing I love walking tenths because it immediately brings us back to 1920. But its throwing a middle finger to your bass player today. Bass players who play with me regularly get to understand that just occasionally I will intrude into their space, with a boogie woogie or walking tenths progression, for a specific effect, but then Ill get out of their way!

There is at least one piano company (Steinbuhler) making smaller-scale pianos. You can get a 7/8 piano keyboard mechanism and drop it into your acoustic piano.

Personally, I would LOVE to have a slightly smaller keyboard. Why would it be a good idea for violins, guitars, etc. but not keyboard instruments? It's not like the current keys size was mandated by Heaven.... it's arbitrary. Why not acknowledge that humans come in a variety of sizes?

I get along with mini keys well, but wish someone would make a high-quality 'semi-weighted' or 'synth action' mini keyboard.

There's already some variation. The keybed on my VR-09 is slightly shorter than on any other 5-octave board I own about half the width of a white key. I don't notice a difference when I play, but then again I'm pretty much never playing left-hand 10ths on that board.

I would think adjusting to very slightly narrower keys would happen fairly easily. Guitarists and bassists routinely adjust to differently-scaled instruments. Regular people do it when they get a new computer keyboard. We do it when we play mini-keys, and this would be a much less drastic change than that.

Until then, here's a workaround for for reaching 10ths. There are people who would be seriously unhappy with me for spilling this, but oh well. There's a common magician's prop known as a "thumb tip." It's a hollow plastic thumb that fits over your real thumb, with enough space in between to hide small objects in. Some years back I had occasion to play piano while wearing one of these. I thought it would be a hindrance, but to my surprise, not only did it not get in my way, but because it made my thumb about a quarter inch longer, it made hitting 10ths really easy. Like, enough that I briefly considered just leaving it there whenever I played, before I decided I didn't want to come to rely on such a thing. So while I can't say I'd recommend it as a long-term solution, if there's a particular piece you want to play and you physically can't reach it any other way, that's an option. Google "magician's thumb tip" and you'll find many places to buy them.

Until then, here's a workaround for for reaching 10ths. There are people who would be seriously unhappy with me for spilling this, but oh well. There's a common magician's prop known as a "thumb tip." It's a hollow plastic thumb that fits over your real thumb, with enough space in between to hide small objects in. Some years back I had occasion to play piano while wearing one of these. I thought it would be a hindrance, but to my surprise, not only did it not get in my way, but because it made my thumb about a quarter inch longer, it made hitting 10ths really easy. Like, enough that I briefly considered just leaving it there whenever I played, before I decided I didn't want to come to rely on such a thing. So while I can't say I'd recommend it as a long-term solution, if there's a particular piece you want to play and you physically can't reach it any other way, that's an option. Google "magician's thumb tip" and you'll find many places to buy them.

OMG - I had that and a few other items when I was a kid that came part of a set. LOL I wonder if it's still somewhere at my mom's house.

I recently paid for the Penn & Teller Masterclass, if that tells you anything about me.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI