Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Playing Clonewheel Standing. Suggestions?

So I sit in my band, but I want to start standing. I play mostly organ (Nord on bottom, Legend on top). My right foot spends A LOT of time on the expression. I predict my other leg will fatigue if I try to do this standing up all night.

Anyone else play expression pedal standing? Suggestions?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which pedal are you using? An FC7 has an angle adjustment which might help for standing. Also you could put the nord on one stand and put the viscount on a separate stand while standing. Last thought you be to put the viscount under the nord and play the viscount sitting and with the nord on top you could stand to play it.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Which pedal are you using? An FC7 has an angle adjustment which might help for standing. Also you could put the nord on one stand and stand and put the viscount on a separate stand while standing. Last thought you be to put the viscount under the nord and play the viscount sitting and with the nord on top you could stand to play it.

I do have an fc7 and didn't know that!

Not sure what you mean with the two stands? One behind the other? Seems like that would be a long reach.

You will develop some cool moves when starting to kick the bass pedals while riding the expression pedal. Be careful with your teeth if singing too. Personally prefer sitting....

Brilliant. Problem solved. Thanks... :like:

I'm fairly confident that the sciatica I experience now in my left leg was caused by the years of playing standing up. In the early '00s a bandleader told me to sit because he thought it looked like The Archies when I stood. Haven't stood to play since.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I always tend to sit A. because it's so much comfier and B. because when I'm trying to maneuver around pedals when I stand I feel like I'm doing an awkward two-step and my butt always ends up a bit farther out behind me then what looks normal/healthy lol. I rock a nice wooden stool at every gig (unless it's a looong gig, in which case a padded bench is the go-to)...for me, there are times for playing and then there are times for dancing, and they don't seem to overlap in my world ;)

"...and that TV channel at the hotel that's, like, ABOUT the hotel?"

Yamaha CP 73 / Numa Organ 2 / Korg Prologue 8

I stand because I sing and front the band. Have done so for years without a problem, but I'm not playing every night, twice weekly or so these days. I do spend a lot of time on the expression pedal, but take breaks when backing off the organ for other soloists, IE set the pedal at a suitable comping level. This might not work if you are playing in a situation like a jazz organ trio where the organ is the main focus. get the pedals where you want them and anchor them somehow, sliding pedals are way worse when you are standing.

Keep shifting. Every time you arent using the expression shift your balance and your weight to your pedal foot. Drink a lot of water. Stretch before and especially after you play. Spinal hygiene is essential for keyboardists.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Move the footpedal close enough to you that you are not squatting to reach your foot way under your rig. In other words, you can stand upright and reach the pedal. Then, learn to play organ without riding the pedal all the time. Sometimes you need pedal but you can also use the master volume on your instrument to give your foot a break.

Moe

---

Move the footpedal close enough to you that you are not squatting to reach your foot way under your rig. In other words, you can stand upright and reach the pedal. Then, learn to play organ without riding the pedal all the time. Sometimes you need pedal but you can also use the master volume on your instrument to give your foot a break.

Makes a lot of sense :)

If it's height why not just use a tall stool that brings you close to standing height? Working a foot pedal while playing is a drag. I've wondered why someone hasn't invented a foot pedal that you actually stand on.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

If it's height why not just use a tall stool that brings you close to standing height?.
This was my solution. I play standing because I also play sax with a wireless mic and move around. When my knees started to go bad and I couldn't stand all night (I couldn't walk the next morning), I got a tall stool so it looks like I'm almost standing but the weight is off my knees and I can use the volume/expression pedal. I since got a much better high quality (expensive) stool that is made for string bass players. It has a padded seat, height adjustable up to very tall, and it folds up for transport. I learned about it here on KC. Search for K&M performance stool. $219.99 on Amazon. Others on this forum like the Roc-N-Soc Nitro extended drum throne.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.