Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Richard T plays Take The A Train

Here's your homework for this week.

Playback Speed .75 is recommended.

[video:youtube]

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, I'm not getting any icons to post a link either with the Reply or Quote buttons. Anyway...

It's not necessarily a different version, it's jazz both are the same idea, sort of a gospel version. Steve Gadd must like pianists with their own versions of A Train:

Ok, now I get the icons if I hit the Full Editor button.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Back in the '80s there were a bunch of these "instructional" videos. I had this one, Steve Gadd's and one by Jaco Pastorious. They weren't that instructional but man they were just enthralling. I love the section where Tee is talking about his thundering bass work and when he plays with a group there's 2 bass players, him and the bass player. Only a guy like him can pull that off, bass players had to get out of his way because when he got cooking you either got on board his train or lay back and watch.

Tee was a legend and left us way too soon. I used to try and catch him any time in NYC when he was playing, especially with Stuff or later with the Gadd Gang. Gadd and Tee had a real special thing, brothers from another mother.

In addition to being a monster and an inspirational player he was also a humble, approachable guy. Always willing to talk about his playing and just grateful for anyone willing to listen.

Of course another classic that highlights his style

Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack

I think the OP's link to the transcription might be the same transcription I've had for years out of one of those books (maybe by Nichion Publishing). I'll have to check later and see.

But, regardless, I always like whatever variation on the arrangement Steve Gadd and Richard Tee come up with there sure are a lot of them.

However, I've given up a long time ago trying to do more than just a loose attempt at the Tee arrangement: mainly because I have no idea how he manages the octaves in the LH so d****ed fast during that one part of walking up to the tonic.

I mean, my technique isn't so awful in the LH, especially for walking octaves, but Tee is doing something else completely. Like something Godowski or Art Tatum might do, but not me.

Back in the '80s there were a bunch of these "instructional" videos.

Thanks for the link, I was looking for that.

I like how he insists everything should be practiced with a metronome, much to the dismay of a certain forum member who misses him.

It's not necessarily a different version, it's jazz both are the same idea, sort of a gospel version.

Bob

No, I mean it is a different date/show.... i.e. he plays it differently from the video transcription version. What The Real MC posted was not the full performance that the transcription only shows the first 2 minutes of.

Clearer?

Jerry

I like how he insists everything should be practiced with a metronome, much to the dismay of a certain forum member who misses him.

:roll:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I love that instructional video of his. I quote the, "I don't need to start a fire if there is already one burning" thing all the time. BUT...funny that the same guy who says that, is the one who tell Herbie Hancock's little brother that if there is a bass player on the gig, well then, "there are going to be two bass players on the gig." Hmmmm....wouldn't that mean there was already a fire burning, my friend? ::pretend there is poke emoji here, I haven't looked for them in the new format yet::

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Everybody back in the day had chops for days, it's amazing. I read an interview with Joe Sample years ago where he realized if he wanted any chance to make it in music he had to be as good or better than everybody else and obviously that's what he did. He's yet another legendary player who started lessons at age 5, went to various university music schools and all that good stuff. Richart Tee was the same. Graduated the New York High School of Music and Art then the Manhattan School of Music. I love it when some folks say you don't have to have that, people can make it without that background. Yes, there are always the rare exceptions...

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Nice,where can i download the score ?

Just now heard/saw the snippet. It is the same transcription I have from one of those Japanese publishers.

But it was a cute effort on the part of whoever put the Youtube thing together.

Anyway, the transcription does hit the main ideas. It's just not the same performance. Or if it is, IIRC the album cut, it's not really a complete transcription. Kind of lazy. And whoever put their stupid little "signature" logo on the video is a darned homosapien.

Close enough, and gosh help anyone who tries to put on paper that motherloving beast of a performance.

There's the art of transcribing: how fine a detail do you want, anyway?

IMHO just subdivide to the sixteenth-note and call it a day.

Tribute to Richard T.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Everybody back in the day had chops for days, it's amazing.

Back then talent sold records, today a pretty image sells records. There are still people out there with chops, they're just not getting airplay on US radio. Especially on the nationwide corporate conglomerates whose playlists are controlled by a handful of yankee slickers.

There's still hope. I went to a Bela Fleck & The Flecktones show that was sold out - not bad for a group with zero radio exposure on local radio!!!

I love it when some folks say you don't have to have that, people can make it without that background. Yes, there are always the rare exceptions...

Talent is far more appreciated outside the US, sad to say. I find that I prefer new music that is not in the US. With precious rare exceptions, too many young students are looking for shortcuts and don't want to put in the hard work of practice to excel at piano.

This guy's giving me the chills whenever i listen to his playing. One of the best players out there, soulful to the bone.

A little underrated IMO. RIP

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I'm learning this tune for a big band. I won't even bother to share my versionit won't even be close! :roll:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

too many young students are looking for shortcuts and don't want to put in the hard work of practice to excel at piano don't get jobs after graduation and live in their parent's basement.

Fixed.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.