Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mojo 61 vs A100, Wurlizter, Rhodes

[video:youtube]

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Where is the Mojo 61 vs Viscount Legend video?

Which one of the 22 B3's in the Mojo did you use? What year is the A100? You should match the correct mojo model with the a100 year, the sound will be nearly indistinguishable through a leslie.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Which one of the 22 B3's in the Mojo did you use? What year is the A100? You should match the correct mojo model with the a100 year, the sound will be nearly indistinguishable through a leslie.

It's an interesting question as to which of the Mojo models he selected, and whether that was indeed the closest match. But also, years don't matter a lot. Guido may have modeled a particular bunch of settings after a particular 1962 A100 he had available, and so it's called 1962 A100, but that doesn't mean that every 19632A100 sounds like that, or even that the those particular settings are the closest ones available to duplicating some other 1962 A100. It's perfectly possible that some other early 60s (or even possibly other era) B3 or C3 would be a better match. The B3 and C3 are identical except for cabinetry; the A100 is identical to those except for cabinetry and a built in speaker and built in reverb unit. There's no reason that a particular A100 should sound more like another same era A100 than like a same era B3 or C3.

Regardless, I agree, you can definitely hear the difference in that demo, in the high registers in particular. (Which makes me think it's likely you'd hear more difference if there were more high drawbars pulled out as well.)

As for the Rhodes demo, I believe I've seen that posted here before... my take on it is that the Nord and Mojo sound closer to each other than either does to the real thing. Maybe worth noting that, being from 2017, that Nord demo does not include their newest Rhodes samples.

I hadn't seen the Wurli one before... Mojo beats Nord on that one.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I am not the person who made the videos.

It's an interesting question as to which of the Mojo models he selected, and whether that was indeed the closest match. But also, years don't matter a lot. Guido may have modeled a particular bunch of settings after a particular 1962 A100 he had available, and so it's called 1962 A100, but that doesn't mean that every 19632A100 sounds like that, or even that the those particular settings are the closest ones available to duplicating some other 1962 A100. It's perfectly possible that some other early 60s (or even possibly other era) B3 or C3 would be a better match. The B3 and C3 are identical except for cabinetry; the A100 is identical to those except for cabinetry and a built in speaker and built in reverb unit. There's no reason that a particular A100 should sound more like another same era A100 than like a same era B3 or C3.

Regardless, I agree, you can definitely hear the difference in that demo, in the high registers in particular. (Which makes me think it's likely you'd hear more difference if there were more high drawbars pulled out as well.)

As for the Rhodes demo, I believe I've seen that posted here before... my take on it is that the Nord and Mojo sound closer to each other than either does to the real thing. Maybe worth noting that, being from 2017, that Nord demo does not include their newest Rhodes samples.

I hadn't seen the Wurli one before... Mojo beats Nord on that one.

My point in in asking the question is that the newer the Hammond model the brighter they tend to get; a 70's organ with mylar caps sounds much brighter than a 50's wax cap model. It sounded like a mismatch to me. I've run the Gemini module through a trek pedal to my 122 and when picking the correct model in the Gemini, it sounds very close to my '57 B3. There are the idiosyncracies of my hammond that aren't duplicated in the 22 models so there will always be nuance differences. But I believe if you pick the correct model from the Mojo you can get much closer than that comparison, as I was able to do with mine.

Same thing for the Rhodes. Guido offers a Mark 1 and a Mark 5 (which I use). Which one was used for comparison? Guido's latest engine updates weren't included in the video as the video is dated October 2017 and Guido's latest updates to the engine occurred earlier this year.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Same thing for the Rhodes. Guido offers a Mark 1 and a Mark 5 (which I use). Which one was used for comparison?

According to the descriptive text for the video:

On the nord it is the Suitcase MK1 close ideal on the mojo it is the "sweet" since I am comparing it to a mk1.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)