Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

In Praise of the Yamaha AG N3?

We all debate digital stuff, and many of us have a real AP in our worlds. My Yamaha AvantGrand N3 has been an amazing hybrid instrument over the last several years. And it might work for you?

The premise with the AG series is three parts: (1) real deal acoustic action, (2) Yamaha's best AP samples, and (3) a package with decent integrated amplification. Oh, and it looks and sounds great in your living space. High WAF (wife approval factor).

I think I've had mine for 8 years (?), maybe more, and for me it's a real instrument. I think of it as a shorter AP grand that never needs tuning. Oh yes, for you EP fans, there's an amazing Rhodes as part of the bargain. Billy Joel never sounded so good.

The original marketing for the instrument was a bit overhyped (surprise!) and silly things like vibrating keys are nice, but don't seal the deal.

Here's what I like? I sit down at it, and it's like going to the gym. It's a heavy, stiff action that has never loosened up no matter how hard I bang at it. That's a good thing. After a session on the N3, everything else in my life is like keyboard butter: the Bosie 200, Nords, etc. I am Finger Strength Man.

It sounds wonderful in my vacay home. The speaker setup (radiate above and below) is very similar to what a real grand produces. The volume knob is wonderful, as I can bang hard without annoying others. This summer, I'm working out material for my three bands (!) and it's all quite wonderful.

For those of you who want a near-AP grand experience without the hassle, definitely a contender. Used ones are hard to come by though. I guess that says something about them?

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Similar experiences...

A while back, I played a Roland V-Grand five nights a week for around a year. Its funny, it was easy to forget that it was electronic. Loved the action - i didnt really have to think about it, or go thru a transition period like some boards.. it just felt perfectly matched to the sound... that elusive finger - ear connection. It improved my playing no end, too.

The venue closed down last year, wonder what happened to it. Like you say, this sort of instrument doesnt appear on the SH market much. Dont think I could afford one, unfortunately!

I play the N3 regularly. Its as close as youre going to get in a digital (having not played the Kawai Novus yet). The action is excellent and the speaker system superior. It does fool you, you forget its digital when playing - I believe partially due to the vibration mechanism. But when A/Bing with a fine acoustic the timbre most definitely is digital through a speaker system. Your forearms can tire after a while too if you are not careful to remind yourself its not your acoustic. Just a slightly different technique on this action - but again. Its as good as we have. The best.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560