Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: dB vs. Nature: The saga continues

Shoulder surgery this week. Arthroscopic...but still...they're putting a screw in my bone. :eek:

Right rotator cuff damaged, especially the supraspinatus tendon. Only two labrum tears - one from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock, the other one from 4-7. :rolleyes:

The short version of how I got here: taking up Disc Golf excessively in middle age may not be the best idea for everybody. Just sayin'... :idk::facepalm:

Gonna be a fun coupla months. I anticipate a lot of time on the forum

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes, dB! I'll take your advice on the Disc Golf idea. Heck, I'll apply that somewhat to casting for Steelhead, Pike and Muskies. This doing more in moderation with age is sucky, but it's reality..

Wishing you a quick, uncomplicated recovery!

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

On the subject of post-surgical pain relief, my periodontist has been having me take 3 advils + 1 extra strength Tylenol as a substitute for Vicodin. He says studies have shown it's actually more effective, and I believe him. I've had 3 periodontal surgeries in the past year, which hurt like hell for about a day, so I'm a good guinea pig for this. Vicodin's ok if you can afford to stop functioning for awhile, but most of us cannot.

edit: maybe it's 4 advil + Tylenol, not sure now

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Me mum toughed out replacement knee recovery with otc pain med when brutal. She refused the prescribed opioid. These WWII survivors are incredible people. The woman is a bloody hero to me. Severe pain tends to make me nauseous and break a sweat. Last time my shoulder was a mess I went to chiropractor first. Tried to tough it out with stretching exercises for about a week or more, then I caved. MD gave me a shot of meperidine in the arse to stop the chronic pain and put me on celebrex so I could get through the PT. If I had read the dangers of these meds I might not have taken - eh who am I kidding, I was getting desperate.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

My options for pain relievers are somewhat limited. I'm allergic to aspirin, ibuprophen and NSAIDs. :eek:

dB

Ask about a nerve block with a slow-release encapsulated local anesthetic (bupivicaine). Expensive as hell, but you get 48 hours (or more) pain-free or close to it.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Ask about a nerve block with a slow-release encapsulated local anesthetic (bupivicaine). Expensive as hell, but you get 48 hours (or more) pain-free or close to it.

Yep, interscalene block is the the way to go (expensive? Insurance usually covers it, at least in my neck of the woods). Most important will be the PT afterwards, to maintain shoulder mobility. Be diligent!!

Oh DB, the joys of getting older. When my right shoulder started acting up I had to quit tennis and immediately gained 10 pounds. That affected my knees so I stopped walking and gained 10 more. To counter it I have cut way back on soda and I bought a push mower and am forcing myself to push mow my 1/2 acre lawn. So far I have lost 10 pounds. 20 more to go.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Yep, interscalene block is the the way to go (expensive? Insurance usually covers it, at least in my neck of the woods). Most important will be the PT afterwards, to maintain shoulder mobility. Be diligent!!

Postop rehab is extremely important.

The slow release bupivicaine (Exparel) is patented, unlike the plain local anesthetic. The difference is that it is delivered by a patented process (encapsulated in lipid globules that release it in a predictable manner) and costs about $300 compared to $3 for the same amount of plain

There are also continuous nerve blocks with a small catheter left in place in the nerve sheath delivering local for a day or two.

Of course, lots of people say the Exparel is no better than the older techniques.

If youre like me, you have a crazy high deductible and having surgery is probably going to top the maximum out of pocket. At that point you have no incentive to worry about cost-effectiveness.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

I just talked to the doc and told him what you guys said. He told me he's going to give me a superscapular block anyway (did I get that right?) and sez I can have the one you guys recommend if I want it; but, based on his experience with me, the specific procedures I need and and my (high) pain tolerance that I may be okay without it.

He's the same surgeon who did my left elbow. That went pretty well...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

taking up Disc Golf excessively in middle age may not be the best idea for everybody. Just sayin'... :idk::facepalm:

Gonna be a fun coupla months. I anticipate a lot of time on the forum

dB

Best to you dB. Third surgery in a year. You will be healthier than 50 at 60. :thu:

I remember you and I had talked about disk golf a few years back, I believe when you came to visit the swamp.

For the rest of the forum, not to hijack but to elaborate what I quoted above.

In the 1980's I was a registered member of the PDGA (Pro Disk Golf Association, believe my member number was 4024, on holiday at the moment so can't verify that. I had to stop playing disk golf 35 years ago because it was conflicting with my band schedule. Tough to practice putting at 8:00AM for a tournament when you finished playing the last set 6 hours prior. Anyway, my right shoulder is still f'd up. Nothing ever torn, but tendonitis bothers me every single day of my life. Middle age or young age, too much Frisbee catches up to us. Whoda thunk? :idk

:nopity:

I just talked to the doc and told him what you guys said. He told me he's going to give me a superscapular block anyway (did I get that right?) and sez I can have the one you guys recommend if I want it; but, based on his experience with me, the specific procedures I need and and my (high) pain tolerance that I may be okay without it.

He's the same surgeon who did my left elbow. That went pretty well...

Sounds like a good plan.

Best of luck!

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Amateur hour. Two hip replacements. At age 40. Looking forward to a shoulder replacement and a knee replacement as well. Thank goodness for modern medicine. Good luck with your journey.

Hammond C3, Leslie 122, Steinway B, Wurlitzer 200A, Rhodes 73,

D6 Clav