Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why I bought the CP88 (long-winded review/statement)

For my history, I have previously owned a Roland A90 Piano/Midi controller and a Yamaha Clavinova PF-100 (circa 1994) and I got incredible amount of use from both but due to personal changes in my life I thought it was time to upgrade since I havent had anything new for almost 25 years.

Just so everyone knows, I am not biased with any company whatsoever.

Fast forward to Nov/2018 where I purchased a Nord Piano 4. Absolutely LOVED the sound however, there was a huge issue with the keybed as it was making more noise than it should. To the point upon release of the keys the noise would resonate through my mic and through my L1 compact. Not acceptable.

After many views Youtube comparison videos and personal demoing in my local music stores I was undecided between the Korg Grandstage, Korg Kronos, Roland RD 2000, Yamaha CP4, Korg Krome nd the Roland FA-08.

All great pianos/workstations so it was a matter of sound, versatility and of course the keybed.

So, back in April I my local store had a CP88 so I jumped on. They had it running through a small Fender amp and even with that I got soooo sooo excited .just as I did my Nord. So, when that excitement hits, instinctively I go with it. Plus, the keybed/action was just so soooo amazing that the decision was made there and then. So, traded in my Nord Piano 4 it in for my new love, the CP88. Unfortunately they only had the floor model so they gave me their floor model as a loaner until the new one came in.

So, as far as sound. I will admit I am not as happy with the piano sounds themselves compared to the Nord but with some tweaking with the EQ I have got 3 amazing piano sounds that I am very very happy with. The CFX has this sort of tinny sound to it and I will admit I thought the CFX on the CP4 was a bit better. However, the Imperial, S700 and the upright U1 are truly amazing. A little tweaking and you can basically get a great sound out of it.

The CP80/70 sample is definitely comparable to the Nord (which I use quite a bit in my set) so apart from the bug thats going to b fixed this coming September it sounds absolutely incredible.

The Wurlitzer (especially with Aprils update) totally blows the Nord away. I am just so so happy with it as it really helps with my Supertramp/10cc tunes that I use in my setlist.

The keybed, Well, it truly came down to the CP4, the RD2000 and the CP88. The CP4 was great for sure as was the RD2000 but after a number of jumps between the CP88 and the RD 2000 I found the RD was a little heavier than the CP88 and the CP4 was a little lighter so the CP88 was the perfect balance between the two. As weird as it sounds (no pun) I feel my playing has actually improved on the CP88. Songs that I had a hard time playing before (Tony Banks Lamb intro and Firth Of Fifth plus some blues scales for example) are coming much more easier. Weird how that works.

Yes, there are only 57 sounds with the CP88 as opposed to the NP4 and yes you can load samples into the NP4 but I had to be practical within myself. I use Logic Pro X for a trillion sounds that I can trigger so for home use/editing/sequencing for backing tracks the limitation of the sounds in the CP88 is not limiting to me at all. Plus, one has to ask themselvesor myselfhow many sounds does one actually need? I mean seriouslythese are stage pianos. I usually get between 3-5 gigs per month and I do not use more than 4-5 sounds within my 40 song setlist. So its basically, Acoustic Piano, CP80, Wurli, Rhodes and a AP with a combined Ample Acoustic Guitar (triggered through my laptop) /Piano sounds. The rest are just icing on the cake.

Ok, the other pianos may give you way more sounds but in all honesty, many of them are just different variations of the same sample, Don't let 1000 sounds fool you into thinking you're getting 1000 samples because you're not.

Now, thats just me and I cant speak for anyone elses needs as everyone has different needs and requirements.

I also love the fact that I do not have to use my M-Audio interface anymore as the CP88 has a USB audio interface built in so with that and my upcoming purchase of a Yamaha MG10XU mixer (USB audio interface) going through my Bose L1 Compact system will be the perfect match for me.

So this whole notion that CP88 blows this out of the wateror The RD2000 feels better or the Nord Pianos sound so much better is total nonsense. It is ALL down to personal taste for personal needs.

I will say for price, keybed, versatility (again depending on your needs), sound and weight (yes I can actually carry the piano in my gig bag with one hand) the CP88 is hard to beat.but thats just me.

Finally, I will say buying a piano is actually worse than buying a house or a car. Very stressful at times and we always want to make the "right" purchase. Yes, you can watch a trillion Youtube videos, read all of their comments, jump on the forums, get a a thousand different opinions and yes it helps but many times it can actually confuse you even more and also cause ulcers...LOL.

Its best to think of your own needs and try not to let anyones opinions (comments) sway you but your own.

Cost/price aside there will ALWAYS be pluses and minuses to any of these pianos and if I had to do it all over again I would have waited until April this year before purchasing the Nord and maybe taken more time to study as its been 9-10 months to land to where I am now.

I hope my experience/review will resonate with anyone who is undecided in purchasing the CP88 or any other piano for that matter.

Now get out there and get a CP88!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You wont regret it.LOL!!!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should copy this review into the main CP thread. that way more people are likely to see it a few months down the .road.

I'm fully with you on your enthusiasm for the CP88 action. I got the 73 for portability, but the 88 has a sublime action for piano. I haven't compared it side by side with the CP4 or the P515. They're all good and I don't know if there's one I'd prefer over the others. The Roland FP90 action is also one of my favorites, but definitely heavier than the CP88. That's either a good or bad thing depending on what else you play. But I far prefer the piano sounds of the CP over the Roland.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Hey there!!!

I understand about the 73. I used to own the CP70 back in 1988 so I know what it feels like to have 73 keys as opposed to 88.

Once I got my PF100 I just got used to playing 88 yeats more so in the lower register than high end. Its just a preference but I really did consider the CP73.

I compared the CP4 with the CP 88 (my store had an old floor model) and to be honest once I eliminated the RD2000 from the equation it came down to the CP4 and the CP88.

Both are still great and one doesn't weigh each other out. They are just different. I did try the P515 back in Nov but that was between that and the Nord Piano 4 at the time so, with weight and sound the Nord one.

Where is the main CP thread?? Sorry, I plead ignorance as this is my first post within this group.

Cheers from Ontario Canada!

Darrin