Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Quincy Jones and Frank Sinatra - wow

A must watch:

LINK

Frank Sinatra, vocals.

Quincy Jones, director.

Frank Foster, arranger.

Featuring George Benson (guitar), Lionel Hampton (vibes) and Lew Soloff (trumpet).

Saxophones: George Young (lead), Frank Wess, Michael Brecker, Dave Tofani, Ronnie Cuber. Horns: Jerry Peel (1st), John Clark, Peter Gordon. Trumpets: Lew Soloff (lead), Alan Rubin, Randy Brecker, Joe Newman. Trombones: Urbie Green (lead), Wayne Andre, Benny Powell, Dave Taylor (bass). Tuba: Tony Price. Rhythm: George Benson (guitar), Joe Parnello (piano), Ray Brown (bass), Steve Gadd (drums), Lionel Hampton (vibes), Ralph MacDonald (percussion), Margaret Ross (harp).

Now that's a line up ! :)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow indeed! Sinatra's reaction at the very end reveals what he things of the phenomenal arrangement!

Exactly. It's one of the great shames that most musicians may not get the chance to play in a large band like that. I've never played in a band like the configuration in that video but I was lucky enough to play synth as part of a 43-piece orchestra for a production of JC Superstar. I still get the shivers when I think of sitting in amongst that orchestra when they hit full flight. Have never experiences anything like it.

Hot damn! That's awesome. Thanks for sharing it.

I've recently started playing with a big band. It's fun, but they're not those guys, you know? Pretty much the top cat at each instrument in that one. Wow.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

just watched. Frank makes it look so effortless. Especially compared to Quincy who is on full throttle.

Also, I hope the guitar player got payed. He was pretty good. ;)

I don't think he went on to do much - some guy called George Benson :D

After hearing the above killer track, I looked for the resulting album on Apple Music. It's called L.A. Is My Lady (with Quincy Jones and Orchestra). It's pretty good overall, but there were two things I noticed about it. First, the production has some dated elements. I mean, it sounds like an album from 1984. The synths on the title track aren't my thing at all. The other thing I noticed is, since I listen to a bit of Frank's stuff from the 50s and early 60s, his voice clearly wasn't what it used to be (when I've listened to his really early stuff, I can hear the difference between that and his 50s/60s voice as well).

JMO. I'm not saying it's a bad album, and I don't mean any disrespect to him, Q, nor anyone else involved, but I wished I liked it a bit better, especially after enjoying the OP track so much, and loving the work Q did with him on the older material. There are some excellent elements in the album.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI