Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Audio snake recommendations

(I did have a search but had very old stuff come up from Phil O'Keefe's now defunct forum)

I'm looking around for an option to connect my synths that are sitting on one wall, with my Presonus interface that is sitting near my computer on another wall about 3 metres away. Basically I just want an audio snake with 1/4 inch balanced jacks on each end. I have four synths I'd like to connect. Here's an example of what I've found, but would love any recommendations or alternatives :)

Thanks!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Jonathan and Eric - and yep you're spot on Jonathan with the reach actually between keyboards if the audio outs are on opposite ends. Eric I'll check out Redco and see if they ship internationally :)

Curious why you want a snake? I've used snakes extensively, typically custom made myself, but always for live use to cut down setup/teardown time. In a fixed installation, that's not an issue, and with individual cables, you have the flexibility to change things up whenever you want. If it's just a matter of keeping things tidy, they make that split plastic hose that you can slip over the cables.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Good suggestion Dan!

If you do want a snake like that, just make it yourself. Soldering a cables is really easy and you can make if the exact length you want. Plus it is cheaper.

Rudy

If it turns out that you are handy enough to do it yourself, I can give you some tips. I get everyone from Parts Express out of Springboro, OH (Dayton area). Not sure logistics of international ordering/shipping, but they are a catalog house so I'm sure it would go smoothly. They sell 8 channel (2 conductor plus shield per channel) snake cable by the foot for a reasonable price. That would be suitable for 4 stereo TRS keys. Pick your connectors, they have them all. Then they also sell braiding, various sizes colors and styles of heat shrink including adhesive lined. Back in my days with my old 80s band with a fairly complex setup, I had a snake that plugged into my rack with a multipin connector. At the keys end, it had a pigtail to plug into my 2 pedals on the floor, then fanouts for 2 keyboards handling 3 audio, 2 midi, and 2 pedals. Everything color coded with right angle connectors. Of course Redco as mentioned can make that for you, but since we're only talking 1/4" TRS to TRS, as you've already found, they are commercially available. Can't promise you'll save any money making your own - in fact most likely not. But you can make them the way you want and make sure they are made well.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

That snake worries me because they don't talk about what kind of cable they are using good cable makes a world of difference.

If me for a studio like setup I go for more a jack panel/patchbay type of setup from one wall over to the recording area. That would give a lot more flexibility in how far things can be from each other and on audio side what leads go to where. Like other say build it yourself developing soldering skills is very useful and saves money you can put into better cable and jacks. Look around and different places sell pre made jack panels.

In my studio, Imhave connected all the synths and Mackie's plus effects with patchbay via two type of snake:

The expensive ones, modular snakes system y planet wave when it was a mix of TRS and XLR, suoer could nave inept because all the type of Fantail exist, even the one you can solder yourself:

https://www.sweetwater.com/c800--D_Addario_Planet_Waves--Snakes

And the cheap ones that have given me good use and no issues, Seismic audio:

https://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/?cawelaid=330005100000097804&catrk=spfid-1&caagid=50319112310&catci=kwd-357041136929&capcid=220565070842&cadevice=t&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0_vqlMqA4wIVAdtkCh2O5Q4bEAAYASAAEgIYCPD_BwE

For the rest, when it's behind the synths via no connection to patchbay and for the us into that I have to plug/unplug, I use single cables and I do a "Snake" with the Pedal Python Snakes:

http://www.pedalpython.com

There are great because you could choose the Length and do a mix of audio, midi etc....

Stage 2, C2, NL2X+TC Pedals, P08+Tetra+H9, P12+TC Chorus D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200&2605.

A jack panel also requires modifying the wall and running cable through the wall. The snake is a clean, simple (and cheap) option.The quality of the cable will be fine.

Doesn't have to be in the wall it can be mounted on the wall, or a box in floor it's all about flexibility of use, being able to patch ether end any way you want,

Redco custom snakes is the answer.

This is the best cleanest solution. If you have any questions on parts Chris Stubbs at Redco can walk you through the purchase.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt