Besos Ocultos, my Cool New Latin Jazz Album Is Out! #2995372 06/22/19 09:50 PM
J
Jazzooo Offline OP
Gold Member
OP Offline
Gold Member
J
Hi, all--

This is my group down here in San Miguel de Allende--two master percussionists, a terrific bassist and me on acoustic piano, keyboards and organ. I'm also the composer of the originals and the arranger of it all.

This is a special pre-release from the audiophile label Blue Coast Records. Go to https://bluecoastmusic.com/doug-robinson/besos-ocultos#.XQ6hea3Mwck to hear entire tracks and then, if you're so moved, download your copy in either WAV, FLAC or hi-res DSD formats.

Among other things, you will hear special guests such as the amazing Iraida Noriega singing my version of For What It's Worth, Cuban violin virtuoso Pedro Cartas on the title track, and trumpeter Terry Towson bringing my bolero Coyote to life.

Order your download before June 30th and use the discount code DADSDAY25 to get a 25% discount.

I am so proud of this. In the next post, I will paste the interview I got at 3am after sending the files to Paul Hormick, a freelance reviewer.

Thanks!

KC Island
Re: Besos Ocultos, my Cool New Latin Jazz Album Is Out! [Re: Jazzooo] #2995373 06/22/19 09:50 PM
J
Jazzooo Offline OP
Gold Member
OP Offline
Gold Member
J
"BESOS OCULTOS by MEDIA NOCHE
Review by Paul Hormick

For the last 15 years, pianist and composer Doug Robinson has lived in central Mexico and performed with the top players in that country. Now he has joined forces with three of them—percussion maestros Victor Monterrubio and Mario Alberto Torres and bassist Rubén Olvera--to form a group called Media Noche, and they’ve just released their first collection of music. The end result is called Besos Ocultos and it is lively, engaging, and a true pleasure from beginning to end.

The sound of this disk is top notch, well conveying the timbres of all the instruments. I was particularly pleased with the stereo placement of the timbales and congas, which puts the percussion neither too upfront nor plastered into the wallpaper, but right where it should be in the mix.

Robinson has always been a creative force with the jazz chops to back it up. What distinguishes him from other fine jazz performers is what might be called “emotional presence.” When he is featured on this recording, whether it’s on acoustic piano, Fender Rhodes, or organ, I feel something new from measure to measure and it is quite delightful.

The recording opens with the quaint strains of the title track, which, thanks to the violin of Pedro Cardas, harkens back to Cuban parlor music from decades past. That all changes when Robinson’s soulful Hammond organ that takes over.

One of the most inventive tracks is their rendition of the Beatles’ “Yesterday.” Without the presence of a singer and lyrics to hold a listener’s attention, an instrumental version of this perhaps overly-familiar classic risks falling flat. But the group uses harmonic variations and tricky time changes to bring new life to this much-loved song.

The one vocal selection is Stephen Stills’ ‘60s protest song “For What It’s Worth” which adds some Muscle Shoals soulfulness to the album. Singer Iraida Noriega perfectly bridges the swampy blues with a Latin backdrop.

The arrangement of the old standard “Comes Love” is straightforward, but it is here that one can appreciate Robinson’s fresh and inspired jazz improvisation. He also comps himself sparsely, giving his right hand a lot of sonic room.

“Coyote,” an introspective mid-tempo bolero, is graced by the flugelhorn of ex-pat Terry Townson. The former Ray Charles sideman was the perfect pick for this number that is both somber and joyful.

The other five selections on this 10-track compilation are equally as good as the ones that I’ve mentioned, with some great work by each player as well as special guests saxophonist David Scott, trumpeter Andrew Perruzinni and Greek trombonist Antonis Andreou.

Kudos to Media Noche and everyone associated with this effort. Besos Ocultos is a gem of a recording.

(Freelance writer Paul Hormick is a bassist as well as a horticulturist and environmentalist with a master’s degree in Environmental Science and Policy. As a writer, his interests are in the environment, current events, music, and the arts. His work has been featured in the online environmental publication Down to Earth, Strings magazine, San Diego CityBeat, and the San Diego Troubadour.)"

Last edited by Jazzooo; 06/22/19 09:52 PM.
Re: Besos Ocultos, my Cool New Latin Jazz Album Is Out! [Re: Jazzooo] #2996011 06/26/19 03:34 PM
davedoerfler Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Just downloaded, looking forward to listening later today. thu

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Plus, old gear has a story. I like that.
Re: Besos Ocultos, my Cool New Latin Jazz Album Is Out! [Re: Jazzooo] #2996093 06/27/19 12:12 AM
J
Jazzooo Offline OP
Gold Member
OP Offline
Gold Member
J
Yeah baby! wink I hope you like it and thanks again for ordering.

Re: Besos Ocultos, my Cool New Latin Jazz Album Is Out! [Re: Jazzooo] #2997263 07/04/19 03:15 PM
J
Jazzooo Offline OP
Gold Member
OP Offline
Gold Member
J
Anyone else want to check out the tunes? Just a little bump smile

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Joe Muscara