Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can one play audio software, reliably

In the early 90's, while working at university, I wrote a communication/threading test for HP720 series Risc computers. These were like 10 times the speed of the yore times Personal Computers, but, fortunately also easily ten times as powerful, so my experiment told me reliable Risc architecture would in that time run in the order of a hundred CD quality audio interactions between simple threads, and gave it not much more thought. I worked on computer graphics, which my machine was very well equipped to do, so.

In the now, every PC I use runs Linux (usually Fedora), and has a functional compiler and dev env, from compiling technical C programs to projects with large data, scripting and programming languages from standard scripts and processing steps to deep video editing and pure mathematics. It's in a way strange audio developments usually get stuck in rather simple constructs. For instance lots of software isn't very accurate about midi timing, sound path transparancy, and even messing with hidden variables.

On Linux for sure, and if I'm not mistaking in Cubase from a while ago on it is possible to have an audio path which gets "perfectly streamed". Now, I don't want to play the devil on this here newly made up form, I don't say you must do perfect relative timing 30 way signal fork, band processing followed by perfectly mixing together 30 signals to do multi compression, but for me, that is a not very challenging signal path to run sample-for-sample accurate.

I've understood some people essentially like it very much to hear what "digital" can mess up for them, so as it were to get creative with, uhm, shortcomings. I am not one of those. So I'm happy with a strive for preferably even mathematical accuracy! Isn't more boring, but I will have to make some videos about that, one of which (about Kurzweil neutralisation) will be suitable for here.

Theo V.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic