Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dig My Rig--Let's see your setup!

I see the spaghetti you're talking about on the left, but what are those crazy loopy wire things on the right, next to the pen (I think)?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I'm not there yet but had to get glasses at 9 or so. Near vision is great though (out two feet or so), after that too blurry to even make out road signs until they're next to the windshield. Hence I must have glasses. :freak:

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I'm just giving you crap, Josh. ;) Why? Because I had LASIK in the early 2000s after wearing glasses since I was a kid and I had great vision with it until a few years ago. I finally bit the bullet and got *distance* glasses done last year, and realized I was doing myself and the world around me an injustice by driving without glasses, especially at night. Oops. They're telling me I can use reading glasses as well but I'm doing okay without those for now. I only wear the glasses for TV and driving right now anyway. I get tired of them, and I like life without them when I can.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I'm just giving you crap, Josh. ;) Why? Because I had LASIK in the early 2000s after wearing glasses since I was a kid and I had great vision with it until a few years ago. I finally bit the bullet and got *distance* glasses done last year, and realized I was doing myself and the world around me an injustice by driving without glasses, especially at night. Oops. They're telling me I can use reading glasses as well but I'm doing okay without those for now. I only wear the glasses for TV and driving right now anyway. I get tired of them, and I like life without them when I can.

OMG !!!! I thought it was just me. I'm in the exact same condition. Had Lasik early 2000, absolutely loved not having to wear glasses, except for reading. Last couple years had to return to glasses and hate it. I inquired about having a touchup, but doctor said I was too old for Lasik and had to opt for glasses. Bitch getting old.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a fun setup I've got for a production of the musical Mamma Mia!

http://www.natevenet.com/misc/mammamia_pitrig.jpg

Casio PX5S and Alesis Vortex as controllers for MainStage, with a few Integra sounds routed through MainStage as well, out through a MOTU Ultralite. The mic is for a few vocoder patches. We're doing wireless in-ear for the show, but I've got a feed of myself from the Ultralite to the Rolls PM351 if I need to practice before the sound guys show up.

• 2 months later...

I know my keyboard rig at my studio was fairly ridiculous already, but today it went over into complete madness:

48094398648_8296bde769_c.jpg

with the addition of this:

48094359296_f6d484b421_c.jpg

A friend is loaning me his Buchla 220e for a month or so. This little synth (it's actually very tiny) is kinda blowing my mind with how much it can do with relatively few modules. Spent a few yours today patching, and recorded about 20 minutes of classic Buchla LPG Bongoes. It's a very deep machine, but it's actually pretty easy to get amazing sounds from it.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I know my keyboard rig at my studio was fairly ridiculous already, but today it went over into complete madness:

A friend is loaning me his Buchla 220e for a month or so.

Nice friend, Dave. Yes, ridiculous describes your keyboard situation perfectly.

:2thu:

:nopity:

A friend is loaning me his Buchla 220e for a month or so. This little synth (it's actually very tiny) is kinda blowing my mind with how much it can do with relatively few modules. Spent a few yours today patching, and recorded about 20 minutes of classic Buchla LPG Bongoes. It's a very deep machine, but it's actually pretty easy to get amazing sounds from it.

Nice - that looks like fun. Just last night I was reading here about that bongo sound.

I wonder if these guys ever used a Buchla:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn-zYTzlJmc

• 2 weeks later...

Latest rig. This is the largest rig I've ever brought anywhere that was 100% my own stuff. This was for a solo gig that was advertised and is part of the tourist attraction "Tuesday Night Live".

IMG-1710.jpg

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

This my studio setup - I have what I call "legacy gear" that I've been using to take old sequences (some as far back as 1987) and audio (on my Yamaha MT-44

and Tascam 34 4-tracks) and porting them to Sonar to rework for music library material and my band.

Still have my Commodore 64 and sequences (on 5 1/4" floppies that it can still read!), Kawai Q-80 sequencer (you can see it lower left hand corner), and a

recently acquired Ensoniq SQ-1 Plus that can play back stuff I originally recorded on my KS-32 (sitting above my Fantom X7). Then the CME UF7 controller

which I still love; a Mellotron Micro (which I use all the time); Polysix above a Kawai K4, both which are two of my favorite ever synths.

An Alesis QSR, Emu Mo Phatt and Roland MKS-100 are the rack stuff.

I scored a Simmons controller (beneath the K4) for $40 two years ago and our drummer at the time was quite good at playing it, recording an entire drum track

for a song on it for our latest Aethellis album.

http://flyboyfilms.tv/Ellsounds/Ellstudio%202019.jpg

Live I currently just use a Studiologic Numa Compact 2 and the Mellotron Micro. I've retired my Alesis QS7 and occasionally use my Roland AX-1.

Also have a Mini-Korg in the rehearsal area in the basement along with aformentioned live performance gear.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

Nice! I like how you make the small table work with the rack to the left. I have a giant workstation table with all the rackage integrated, your setup is much more flexible.

Tell me more about the Mellotron Micro, please, if you don't mind. I've been kinda GASsing for one.

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

Thanks Morizzle and Dockeys!!! It's a great space to create and play around to get ideas and work on soundtracks. Oddly, it's was my bedroom when I was

a kid (I live in the house I grew up in).

Plus of course there's the virtual synths and orchestra stuff (tend to use UVI Synth Anthology 2 and Miroslav Philharmonik 2 quite a lot). I have the virtual

Polysix as well as the old girl which are nice together at times.

As for the Mellotron Micro, that was a gift from my wife last year; a sort of belated 60th birthday present (6 months late). I'd played a real taped-based beast

and even a Vako Orchestron back in the day and always wanted to own a Mellotron (or Chamberlin) but of course they were quite expensive and required

maintenance back then.

When Markus Resch came out with the digital versions (24-bit samples from the original tapes) I was excited but kept putting it off. My wife got tired of me

whining and bought me the Micro. I love the action and it's got 100 sounds from the Chamberlin Music Master and M1, Mellotrons Mark I, Mark II, M300 and

prog-road-tested M400. The fidelity is incredible and the action is great. Even has the 8-second limitation which I actually like.

You can edit the attack and release time and even the quality of the "tape heads" for that well-used instrument sound.

Funny, it was mainly to use live with my band (prog/jazz fusion) but I record with it all the time even though I've got virtual Mellotron software. I like having both.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

[They came with my enrollment package in the "guys who had perfect vision till they hit their mid-40s" club.
Another club member here. Between the age of about 42 and 45 I went from 20/15 vision to presbyopia with a sweet spot of about 2 meters. If I understand my optometrist correctly, that's the norm.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

As for the Mellotron Micro, that was a gift from my wife last year; a sort of belated 60th birthday present (6 months late). I'd played a real taped-based beast

and even a Vako Orchestron back in the day and always wanted to own a Mellotron (or Chamberlin) but of course they were quite expensive and required

maintenance back then.

When Markus Resch came out with the digital versions (24-bit samples from the original tapes) I was excited but kept putting it off. My wife got tired of me

whining and bought me the Micro. I love the action and it's got 100 sounds from the Chamberlin Music Master and M1, Mellotrons Mark I, Mark II, M300 and

prog-road-tested M400. The fidelity is incredible and the action is great. Even has the 8-second limitation which I actually like.

You can edit the attack and release time and even the quality of the "tape heads" for that well-used instrument sound.

Funny, it was mainly to use live with my band (prog/jazz fusion) but I record with it all the time even though I've got virtual Mellotron software. I like having both.

Cool, that sounds tempting! Thanks for the review!

Edit: also....... congrats on your wife :):keys:

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

• 2 weeks later...

Current live rig with my cover band

66663941-10220354272073170-1500060183311679488-o.jpg

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

• 3 weeks later...

I took my Crumar Seven out for a gig, putting my MODX7 on top. Still in love with the KL-8 mixer and the power conditioner has changed my life as far as buzz through my in-ears and the odd issue with FOH as well. :thu:

103.thumb.jpg.0ca778d7339b68210eb444d1c02c27bc.jpg

104.thumb.jpg.9fa5aeb3e941174c4e9756ff13f56d29.jpg

I took my Crumar Seven out for a gig, putting my MODX7 on top. Still in love with the KL-8 mixer and the power conditioner has changed my life as far as buzz through my in-ears and the odd issue with FOH as well. :thu:

Might I ask who makes that 3-space rack you're using? It looks like it'd be a lot lighter than the one I'm currently using.

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

Might I ask who makes that 3-space rack you're using? It looks like it'd be a lot lighter than the one I'm currently using.

Hey Vonnor - it's a local business here in Australia that badges it under their name, but it's exactly same look, weight and feel as an SKB unit :thu:

• 1 month later...
Late night songwriting.

201.thumb.jpg.3f857d090651d68d62e236af34e89776.jpg

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud