Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good price for MODX7?

I finally will have some money to pick up one. Any suggestions on where to find the best price?

I monitor the usual suspects, like ProAudioStar, Reverb, Ebay, GuitarCenter used, CL, but perhaps there's some places to check I haven't thought of?

I'm cool on buying floor demo / refurbished, even used if the price is right. Any good sales coming up?

Now with sales tax being charged everywhere, a deal is needed more than ever. Full retail I've got about $2.5k worth of purchases I'd like to make, including the Yamaha bag, a Bose S1 Pro, and a Chafon lithium ion battery. With careful shopping I could probably knock $500 off this total.

All that said it might be worth the extra bucks to try to get the best deal I can from GC. To have a 45 day money back guarantee, and a store 5 miles away is pretty awesome- no return shipping if I change my mind- or, if the keybed becomes noisy within 45 day I can return it and try my luck with another new one.

Thanks,

Randy

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Start a price competition.

Call one store and ask for their best price, then call the second one and ask them to beat the first price... then continue. :)

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I finally will have some money to pick up one. Any suggestions on where to find the best price?

I monitor the usual suspects, like ProAudioStar, Reverb, Ebay, GuitarCenter used, CL, but perhaps there's some places to check I haven't thought of?

I'm cool on buying floor demo / refurbished, even used if the price is right. Any good sales coming up?

Now with sales tax being charged everywhere, a deal is needed more than ever. Full retail I've got about $2.5k worth of purchases I'd like to make, including the Yamaha bag, a Bose S1 Pro, and a Chafon lithium ion battery. With careful shopping I could probably knock $500 off this total.

All that said it might be worth the extra bucks to try to get the best deal I can from GC. To have a 45 day money back guarantee, and a store 5 miles away is pretty awesome- no return shipping if I change my mind- or, if the keybed becomes noisy within 45 day I can return it and try my luck with another new one.

Thanks,

Randy

Like you, brother, but I am sold on MODX8.

I also scour our local CL but nothing ever there. But even so, CL, whatever.

are you 100% on that MODX7 key bed action ? I read its identical to the 61 key model- and the action

is totally unacceptable to me. IMO, etc etc.

What I like about GC online, is the free financing and the credit card rebates. These promo's pop

up from time to time. So its not simply 'best price'. Since the dealers almost always tow the MSRP line.

While I haven't been there in 2 yrs, I like the SF GC. I would think they would be happy to sell you a demo

at a sharper price.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Start a price competition.

Call one store and ask for their best price, then call the second one and ask them to beat the first price... then continue. :)

That's challenging to do. First thing they do is to call the store that made the competitive offer, and if the store in question doesn't want to be the basis for your good deal, then it's a no go. And ebay offers are not considered being that they're not a brick and mortar.

Thanks,

Randy

Like you, brother, but I am sold on MODX8.

I also scour our local CL but nothing ever there. But even so, CL, whatever.

are you 100% on that MODX7 key bed action ? I read its identical to the 61 key model- and the action

is totally unacceptable to me. IMO, etc etc.

What I like about GC online, is the free financing and the credit card rebates. These promo's pop

up from time to time. So its not simply 'best price'. Since the dealers almost always tow the MSRP line.

While I haven't been there in 2 yrs, I like the SF GC. I would think they would be happy to sell you a demo

at a sharper price.

Yeah, I've read quite a few reviews, and I'd say in general its about 60/70 OK, and 30-40% no on the keybed. Many have said it's an upgrade from the FA06 which is a no go for me. The MODX8 is tempting at 27 pounds, but it's more money and I'd love to have something super small and light with 76 key to pick up and go. Yeah, I like the GC SF as well, pretty well stocked and friendly store. If the problem with the keybed is that it gets noisy within 45 days I'll have the option of returning it and getting another new one.

GC has 15% off online coupons from time to time. There's a lot of fine print but if you're ready to buy, they often make exceptions.

Good to know, when you read their exceptions of what doesn't qualify for 15% it's often very long. Even with 15% off, by the time you pay sales tax you're only down about $80 from MSRP.

i recently traded in an moxf6 for a modx6 , i like it alot , am even tempted on trading that in for the 7 . anyway the action on the modx is a big step up from the moxf .

something about it feels alot more substantial even though i'm sure they are mechanically very similar

MODX7 feels like MOFX6 in terms of length but that extra octave is so nice to have all the time. (I have both). Actions are similar, MODX may be slightly better but if you absolutely hate one, you cant possibly like the other. They are much more same than different. I think most that hate it just hate the shorter throw. I love the MODX7 puts 76 keys of serious sonic power in a backpack that weighs 20lb

MODX8 is much different feel. I tried it out, didnt like it. Weighted keys are the wrong board if you play a lot of synth and organ tones, which i do. True 88ers almost always hate almost all 61 or 76 key boards, especially every value-priced board - or thats my observation. They arent likely gonna like MODX6/7.

As to OP - not sure how much of a deal youll get. ASP $1499 - I got a GC friend to give me a 15% coupon so i paid low $1300ish. I just saw one on CL in Simi Valley (LA county, CA) for $1300 with the gig bag. Thats about $300 off ASP.

MODX7 in Simi Valley

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Last note - strongly recommend you save for the 7, not the 6. An extra octave is such a huge deal when you start splitting zones. The MODX7 is so light and compact, theres no physics reason I can imagine to not have the 7 unless you need to fit in the backseat of a Prius - and even then Id measure as it probably will fit.
The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

i recently traded in an moxf6 for a modx6 , i like it alot , am even tempted on trading that in for the 7 . anyway the action on the modx is a big step up from the moxf .

something about it feels alot more substantial even though i'm sure they are mechanically very similar

Good to hear! A fair number of people run cold on the 6/7 keybed, but an even greater number seem to find it OK or even decent.

MODX7 feels like MOFX6 in terms of length but that extra octave is so nice to have all the time. (I have both). Actions are similar, MODX may be slightly better but if you absolutely hate one, you cant possibly like the other. They are much more same than different. I think most that hate it just hate the shorter throw. I love the MODX7 puts 76 keys of serious sonic power in a backpack that weighs 20lb

As to OP - not sure how much of a deal youll get. ASP $1499 - I got a GC friend to give me a 15% coupon so i paid low $1300ish. I just saw one on CL in Simi Valley (LA county, CA) for $1300 with the gig bag. Thats about $300 off ASP.

MODX7 in Simi Valley

You know it- I used a 49 note controller for awhile, that's a no go for me. 61 is my lower limit, but 76 hits the spot! And with a backpack bag no less!

$1,500 + $135 (bag)= $1,635 + $139 (CA sales tax)= $1,773! Yes, I would take that deal, that's nearly $500 off full pop, but it doesn't say if he'll ship (I'm in San Francisco), and that'd cost extra, plus there'd need to be confirmation that the keybed is one of the good ones. I'd probably take a 15% off deal from Guitar Center and get the bag at the same time unless something like that deal was local.

PS I seem to remember that there was a power cell that someone recommended for running the MODX without an AC outlet (similar to small batteries used to charge cell phones on the go). The MODX thread is rather long, does anyone remember or know what that power cell is?

Good to hear! A fair number of people run cold on the 6/7 keybed, but an even greater number seem to find it OK or even decent.

I don't necessarily fly by the ' numbers '. Or go with popular opinion.

I think key bed action is a subjective call. Which involves a sit down on the key size model.

[70's Songwriter]

Good to hear indeed.

I think key bed action is a subjective call. Which involves a sit down on the key size model.

Yes, of course. I should be able to try both the 7 and 8 out at the local SF GC. I would generally agree with you, however there are some real clunkers like the FA06 and some of the lower end Korg boards that are pretty much universally despised, like a 90/10 split. However with the MODX7 I've got the idea that two things are needed, given that so many find it unacceptable, and many others find it gets the job done. First of course is if I like it. But also that playing it alot during the first 45 day period is important in case it becomes noisy and needs to be returned.

Yes, of course. I should be able to try both the 7 and 8 out at the local SF GC. I would generally agree with you, however there are some real clunkers like the FA06 and some of the lower end Korg boards that are pretty much universally despised, like a 90/10 split. However with the MODX7 I've got the idea that two things are needed, given that so many find it unacceptable, and many others find it gets the job done. First of course is if I like it. But also that playing it alot during the first 45 day period is important in case it becomes noisy and needs to be returned.

I agree- the FA06 was budget type action. Unfortunately , the MODX6 is similar. I read from excellent/informed folks here, the MOD7 has the same action.

So its a no go. But thats just my pref. I like weighed keys and/or 'semi weighed '.

Of course, some folks like the 06 actions. Thats totally their pref. There is no '1 size fits all '.

[70's Songwriter]

One of the stage techs locally I know runs the audio at the local GC. I would buy for them in the past but now with this sales tax thing it makes hunting for keyboards of this price range hard.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

One of the stage techs locally I know runs the audio at the local GC. I would buy for them in the past but now with this sales tax thing it makes hunting for keyboards of this price range hard.

Not sure what to do- perhaps go into my local GC, ask for the manager and ask for a 15% discount. If that doesn't work then go to the next GC and try again. I've got 3-4 GCs within easy driving distance to me.

I imagine this is making GC a profitable chain again, am glad for it. I like to kick the tires before buying and being able to return an item without having to ship it back is a huge plus.

Not sure what to do- perhaps go into my local GC, ask for the manager and ask for a 15% discount. If that doesn't work then go to the next GC and try again. I've got 3-4 GCs within easy driving distance to me.

I imagine this is making GC a profitable chain again, am glad for it. I like to kick the tires before buying and being able to return an item without having to ship it back is a huge plus.

My thoughts are the same because it may not the best idea to buy online now with this new tax law.

I know and for years I have dealt with Sweetwater as my buddy is there and the no tax thing. Most of the time now I have to buy site unseen. The last three or four boards are like that because my GC isn't one of the "A" stores.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I decided back in April that I wanted a 76 key controller. Sweetwater was out of stock on the MODX7, and when I went in to my local GC, they didn't have any on the floor either. But I went ahead and ordered it anyway, knowing that I could just return the board within 30 days if I didn't like it.

I was pretty sure I was going to return the MODX7 within the first couple weeks. The B stock Forte 7 went back to SW when my Stage 2 HA76 came in from the Netherlands.

Somehow I decided to keep the MODX7, too good of a bargain. Point is, you could always order, try at home, and return if you don't like it.

I know and for years I have dealt with Sweetwater as my buddy is there and the no tax thing. Most of the time now I have to buy site unseen. The last three or four boards are like that because my GC isn't one of the "A" stores.

Yeah, so will you still buy from SW?

Here's my list of pros and cons:

Guitar Center:

+ Local store is excellent, can try out many popular keyboards, want to support that

+ 45 day return on new and used gear

+ Used gear ships free to local store or my address, no need to pay shipping if I don't keep it, just return it locally

+ Their used gear inventory far eclipses anyone else

My bottom line- GC is my default dealer because of the 45 day return policy and being able to return items locally, I just don't know how to negotiate a 15% or more discount when there's not a sale going on

Sweetwater:

+ Best support in the industry, sometimes free bonusware that is SW exclusive

+ 90 day return of used gear

+ 1 additional year of warranty added in many cases

+ In-house repair shop for most? gear

- 'Only' 30 day returns and of course I have to pay return shipping

- You pay shipping to and from for used gear

My bottom line- I don't often need the support but for buying some gear it'd be 'sweet' to have it, and adding that 2d year of warranty would sometimes make it worth it

ProAudioStar

+ Can negotiate more easily a discounted price, AFAIK, getting a 15%-20% discount is common

- Return policy usually involves re-stocking fee (10-15%?), and I have to pay return shipping

My bottom line- they don't inspire confidence, but if it's an item I'm not likely to return and I don't want to wait for a sale, IME they can be the lowest price around

You gave up a Forte for a Nord?

Lighter, cheaper (presumably), and if it's just a controller, Nord is probably fine.

I own a Nord and played a Forte - absolutely lost myself in the sound. If I was starting again, I would likely make the Forte 7 the heart of my rig. But it's getting heavy.

Cheers, Mike.

Forte 7 was too big of a beast. The Stage 2 is only about 5 pounds lighter, but its form factor and a wheeled softcase make it easier to transport. Both have the TP40 action, which was my main goal.

The Nord's pianos were also much better than the Forte pianos. In fact, I was turned off by the Forte's sound. It sounded very dated to me.

A couple months ago I had the Forte, a MODX7, Kronos, Integra, and an iPad all running through the same system. I was surprised and disappointed by the sound of the Kurzweil. It's killed all my curiosity for VAST now that I had one on hand for a month.

You gave up a Forte for a Nord?

Lighter, cheaper (presumably), and if it's just a controller, Nord is probably fine.

I own a Nord and played a Forte - absolutely lost myself in the sound. If I was starting again, I would likely make the Forte 7 the heart of my rig. But it's getting heavy.

Cheers, Mike.

Yep, the Forte 7 was about $3200 + tax, while the Stage 2 with softcase was $2000 + VAT.

I was looking for a 3rd tier hammer action controller for my gig rig. The Forte 7 was just too big for that role.

If I was starting all over again with hardware, I'd still go Kronos 61 as the heart. I don't like the heavier models.