Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mark Knopfler retiring from touring

p90jr

I've been watching and listening to a few concerts from Knopfler's current tour, which I didn't see billed as a farewell tour, to hear how the Kempler profiling amps he's using on the tour sound (incredible) and because I'm a fan and listen to him a lot, anyway.

during the first show I watched, fairly early in the set, he said "I've always loved this city. I've been coming here since I was a young guy. Now... I'm an old guy. So I say Hello, and a goodbye to you..." (crowd gasps and sounds of disappointment) "Oh, I'll keep making the songs and the records, but the traveling is too much for an old guy." He's repeated that statement in every show I've listened to... he is about to turn 70, though he still plays as well as he ever did. I've never had the opportunity to see him play live in person, so I guess I need to catch a stateside show coming up.

Same for Richard Thompson, who is the same age, but seems to thrive on performing and is probably at the sustained height of his singing, playing and songwriting at the moment...

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Knophler is one of my favorite guitarists of all time. I am still in awe of his playing and the compositions of Dire Straits debut album in the USA. I still listen to it. His guitar work was excellent in that effort.

It's good to hear that Knopfler will keep recording new music even if he stops touring. It's hell getting old and I'll be 70 next year so I know a little of how he must feel. Touring can be hard on some of the older guys. He is one of my favorite guitar players! Brothers in Arms is one of my favorite albums... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Since Knopfler and Chrissie Hynde (and the guys in The Police and Debbie Harry) were a little older when they had their first successes I guess I think of them as being the same age as their musical contemporaries who were a little younger.