Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT-ish: Petteri Sariola treats his guitar like a keyboard?

By which I mean: he's doing the kind of splitting, transposing, layering and modulation routing that we do as keyboardists.

Check out his solo cover of Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For:

[video:youtube]

I suspect he's using a Roland COSM system + MIDI pickup, but in a creative way. You'll hear

• A "split" on the sixth string, transposed down a fifth I think
  • A string layer alongside the guitar
  • Strings routed to a whammy effect pedal

I enjoyed the performance - he's certainly different from the million guys on youtube who think that singing with affected vocal mannerisms while banging on an acoustic, slightly slow, somehow "brings new meaning" to an old song.

Cheers, Mike.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The ambassador spreads a little more goodwill...

Seriously Sven, thanks for your research. I did a quick Svengle myself, but came across some kind of endorsement site, not Petteri's own website. I want to know how that octaver pedal brings out the bass string without muddying the rest of the sound. (I think he's using the Boss OC2, which doesn't have any clever "isolate the bottom note" processing).

Cheers, Mike.

I want to know how that octaver pedal brings out the bass string without muddying the rest of the sound. (I think he's using the Boss OC2, which doesn't have any clever "isolate the bottom note" processing).

Watch the video I posted above, specifically at 5:10 and onwards.... and the OC-2/OC-3 absolutely does have a mode that detects the low note in a polyphonic input (Poly mode, with an adjustable range).

The OC-2 doesn't have that polyphonic mode, but the OC-3 does, and indeed it's the OC-3 on his pedalboard. (I could have sworn it was an OC-2 when I watched the video the first time. Maybe he's just upgraded).

Cheers, Mike.

Talented player! Kind of reminds me of Preston Reed, who might have been the first acoustic guitarist to put out an instructional video on how to play simultaneous drum parts and guitar parts by a combo of tapping on the fingerboard and slapping the guitar body. Andy McKee is open about having studied Reed's video and of course developed his own excellent acoustic guitar technique and repertoire.

Apparently the octave effect in my Boss Katana amp has 4 Range settings to achieve a similar polyphonic effect, Range 1 being "octave everywhere" up to Range 4 "limit as much as possible to E and A strings only".

The OC-2 doesn't have that polyphonic mode, but the OC-3 does, and indeed it's the OC-3 on his pedalboard. (I could have sworn it was an OC-2 when I watched the video the first time. Maybe he's just upgraded).

Hmmmm... my guitarist misinformed me, then, as he's the one that confirmed Poly mode on the OC-2. Maybe he too has an OC-3 and just doesn't realize it. ;)

Anyway, he very clearly states in the video above how the Octaver works as I described, so.... QED. ;)