Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio Privia PX-S1000 ($600) and S3000 ($800)

Maybe you could try increasing the Drive (Gain) or try increasing the Touch sensitivity to Light. I personally am not after outright bark. My idea of a clean Herbie Rhodes on the CTI label is not bark, but a little bit of "clack" and overdrive when I dig in. The Fender Twin Reverb Amp sim I selected adds some of that.

Clean Rhodes + Jazz Organs for PX-S3000 by Jazz+

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

This Fantasy Records live recording captures the classic Rhodes sound at 2:40. Notice it clacks and overdrives slightly on strong accents but never really barks. The notes are full bodied sounding which is really great for soloing.

[video:youtube]

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

The "New Rhodes:" demo on soundcloud could be listened to (demo) without having to get a login on the Casio site, and ok, that sounds alright, probably the keyboard plays ok and the sound is doable. I;m sure in the longer run the lack of complexity might get boring, but them kids with this keyboard at leas should be able to play a song or two!

T

I'm very interested in these boards, but just became aware neither have 5-pin MIDI jacks. Is this correct? I've never owned a keyboard without'em... am I being too old-school thinking this is a serious omission for anything other than home use?

I'm very interested in these boards, but just became aware neither have 5-pin MIDI jacks. Is this correct? I've never owned a keyboard without'em... am I being too old-school thinking this is a serious omission for anything other than home use?

I tend to agree... but a lot of people gig with just a single board and/or never connect to any other MIDI device when gigging anyway, so it could work for them. But yeah, I'd find it to be a significant limitation.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I never connect to a MIDI device these days. I did that in the 80's and 90's and felt it was a hassle. The internal sounds are good quite enough for me now days.

I think more and more people are connecting to computers rather than midi. I use this board mostly to control vsts but I did use the internal piano sound on a gig the other night...and it sounded quite good.

I do have to adjust to the action a bit but its only on the occasional chord. If you get too far into the keybed it just doesnt feel quite right. The solution seems to be to move your hand closer to the front of the keys on these chords. Its pretty minor for me but it might be a bigger issue for some.

Im in the states and had the opportunity to play and S1000 at guitar center today. And I really really enjoyed myself. I wasnt able to access any sound other than the grand piano and the Rhodes, but Im sure a moment with the manual would have helped me :-) the speakers sounded fabulous, and I think they would be loud enough for my rehearsals with my Latin jazz band. If its borderline, I would just ask everyone to play a little softer.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

Its not loud enough for a band. You will need some sort of amp, a small crummy one on the floor is enough to reinforce the internal speakers and provide some low end. I use a 17 lb 10 Fender bass amp and it sounds superb.

Its not loud enough for a band. You will need some sort of amp, a small crummy one on the floor is enough to reinforce the internal speakers and provide some low end. I use a 17 lb 10 Fender bass amp and it sounds superb.
I'm hoping the speakers on my 3000 will be loud enough for rehearsal with a blues/rock band and a country rock band. Neither band is very loud at rehearsal, but if I have to also lug along 1 of my K8's, it kinda defeats one of the reasons I got the board in the first place.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I loved the PXS-1000 action but i can't get over the "overdone" textures everyone is putting on the keys nowadays. Makes me feel i'm playing a toy, which defeats the whole purpose of recreating realism.

Maybe i need to get used to it?

FWIW, i appreciate that Roland didn't go to the extreme with the textures on their PHA-50 action.

Im in the states and had the opportunity to play and S1000 at guitar center today. And I really really enjoyed myself. I wasnt able to access any sound other than the grand piano and the Rhodes, but Im sure a moment with the manual would have helped me
It's actually pretty simple once you know how. Hold down the Grand Piano button and one of the lowest keys. A0 is the same Grand Piano, there are four more above that, then the electric pianos, then harpsichord (F#1), vibraphone, strings 1 & 2, pipe organ, jazz organ, electric organ 1 & 2 (C2 & C#2).

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I'm hoping the speakers on my 3000 will be loud enough for rehearsal with a blues/rock band and a country rock band. Neither band is very loud at rehearsal, but if I have to also lug along 1 of my K8's, it kinda defeats one of the reasons I got the board in the first place.
Jury is in. Built-in speakers do not have enough volume for rehearsal with a not-very-loud blues/rock band. I had to send out to the PA.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I was trying to set up a sound with Rhodes and Pad. Then I wanted to set up the knobs. K1 to control volume of pad and I hoping to use K2 for a DSP. For what I can see if I want to control volume on K1 I can only use K2 for factory setting, which is called Fine Tuning, which is useless for my needs. I assumed when I bought this piano I would be able to direct each knob somewhere of my choosing. :facepalm:

Hopefully, I'm wrong and someone will point out the correct way to use them.

RANT: Besides having to use pre-designed knob options, there are no factory pre-sets knob settings. For example, when you hit layer button, IMO the knob#1 should default to volume for 2nd sound. Also the first electric piano, IMO should of been the best Rhodes sound and the knobs set to DSP's like chorus, phase or stereo pan. Maybe Casio thinks the first electric piano sound is the most popular around the world. :facepalm: Having all the knobs set for filter and resonance seems like an easy way to cut programming corners.

Don't get me wrong, this piano is worth twice as much and some real thought went into it and I like it very much. I just wished they went the last 15% when anticipating a player's needs.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Did a wedding gig with the PX S3000 yesterday. The Grand Piano 01 sounded great. I decided I prefer the EP 1 Rhodes clean tone without the Twin Reverb Amp sim, it was too aggressive. So I am using DSP Stereo 3 Band EQ with a slight High EQ boost for my EP 1. The Knobs are so handy with Chorus/Reverb. (Room 2 Reverb for me)

Some people have asked me some things privately I thought I share here -

Gigbag - SC800 Slim Privia case availability.

We're doing our best to keep up with backorders. Wait-time on these should not be too long at this point. We've simply sold many more gig bags with these PX-S models than we ever have in the past.

Inventory at Guitar Center

While the PX-S1000 is at all of their stores, the PX-S3000 is planned to only be at some of their locations in the coming weeks. Furniture stands (CS-68) Gig bags (SC800), SP-34 (three pedal option) are special order items for GC stores.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Some people have asked me some things privately I thought I share here -

Gigbag - SC800 Slim Privia case availability.

We're doing our best to keep up with backorders. Wait-time on these should not be too long at this point. We've simply sold many more gig bags with these PX-S models than we ever have in the past.

Inventory at Guitar Center

While the PX-S1000 is at all of their stores, the PX-S3000 is planned to only be at some of their locations in the coming weeks. Furniture stands (CS-68) Gig bags (SC800), SP-34 (three pedal option) are special order items for GC stores.

I'm stunned that every GC wouldn't have the S3000. Seems like any chain location would stock a keyboard that is $800 and that is so powerful and appeals to the beginner, semi pro and pro alike. I can only assume it has something to do with their Williams house brand, but man that seems dumb to me....

I'm stunned that every GC wouldn't have the S3000.

"rational thinking" and "GC" are two things that just don't go together. ð¤£

Casio is lucky (and pleased I'm sure) that GC is carrying three new 88-key models, the CDP-S100, CDP-S350, and the PX-S1000. Depending on the location, some stores can hardly keep the CDP-S100 in stock. It depends on the market. :idk:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Did a wedding gig with the PX S3000 yesterday. The Grand Piano 01 sounded great. I decided I prefer the EP 1 Rhodes clean tone without the Twin Reverb Amp sim, it was too aggressive. So I am using DSP Stereo 3 Band EQ with a slight High EQ boost for my EP 1. The Knobs are so handy with Chorus/Reverb. (Room 2 Reverb for me)

Would these pianos be included in the PX S1000 by any chance?

EP 1 is only included in the S3000 and that's why I bought it.

I also selected the S3000 so that I can record my playing as audio .wav files direct to a USB stick. and I am able to load in classical midi files for weddings.

To get EP1 to sound like a vintage clean tone Fender Rhodes simply disable its DSP. It's default DSP is a heavy Phaser and Tremolo dual effect, I don't want that on a vintage clean tone Rhodes.

The S1000 has the Dyno type EP, not the vintage clean tone type Rhodes..

Jury is in. Built-in speakers do not have enough volume for rehearsal with a not-very-loud blues/rock band. I had to send out to the PA.
Had rehearsal with the other band, kinda Americana/country originals. They are not loud at rehearsal. 3000 built-in speakers were not loud enough. Had to connect to PA. Also got low battery signal after about 3 hours and had to plug in. All this defeats the main reason I wanted this board - just put it in the carrying case (just arrived) and take it to rehearsal, whip it out and it's ready to go on batteries and built-in speakers. Carry less gear and have less hassle. Nope. Not gonna happen that way. So it's not a rehearsal board. Still, it's fun to play and I love the feel of the keyboard. It will stay set up in my music room for practicing and working out tunes. Carrying case won't be used much, if at all. Maybe take it to the once-in-a-long-while singing party that happens with friends, as long as it's acoustic. As soon as there are electric instruments or drums, the built-in speakers are not loud enough.

Sorry to hear The px isnt cutting the mustard for your rehearsals but Im not sure the px series is marketed as having speakers that you can use in rehearsal with other instruments? Ive used mine a couple of times in a choir rehearsal and even at that Im nearly up to 100% volume. If I was rehearsing with other musicians Id have to bring a small amp at the very least. However Ive done a jazz trio gig with bass and drums using only the internal speakers of the sx3000 but that was a cocktail reception where we couldnt play too loud. I had the amp on the car but never needed it. Its marketed as a stage piano but Id say its more living room piano that works well in a live environment if you plug in an amp or into a pa. As for the battery use Id only ever use that in an emergency.

Ill be posting a review of my experience with the sx3000 once I get some down time.

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

Had rehearsal with the other band, kinda Americana/country originals. They are not loud at rehearsal. 3000 built-in speakers were not loud enough. Had to connect to PA.

I have found very few boards with speakers that are comfortably loud enough for even an "unplugged" (drumless) rehearsal or solo cocktail hour gig of any decent size. None of the Privias have been (I've played almost Privia series... PX-x00, x10, x30, x50, x60) so I wouldn't have expected different here. Rolands seem better for this... the FP-2 and FP-4 were loud enough (I haven't played their newer replacements, but I would expect the same of at least some of them, especially the FP-90). The Yamaha P-models I've played have not been, but I suspect the P-515 would be. Kawai ES-100/ES-110 were not. Dexibell might be. The least expensive and lightest loud-enough model is probably Kurzweil KA-90 (and presumably its near-twins available under other names). Unfortunately its sounds are poor, but you can put an iPad/iPhone on it and get your sounds from there. If you don't need hammer action, the Casio MZ-X300/500 have nice volume (though not much low end), and the Korg PA1000 is quite nice (I haven't tried the PA700).

Also got low battery signal after about 3 hours and had to plug in.

The battery life on the PX-S1000 is apparently significantly better than the PX-S3000. Some non-speaker models are good for this as well.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Good reasoning and suggestions from AnotherScott.

The speakers in my S-3000 are sufficient to play a smaller wedding ceremony or rehearsal with my piano/ acoustic guitar duo. I have a Tuesday night gig in a small, sometimes loud bar, that I can cover with the piano speakers on high and plugged into a Roland cube.

I've never owned a piano with speakers that would work alone on any gig or rehearsal where there were drums.

We all have our checklist of requirements.... different strokes...

In your situation El Lobo, I'd sit near the PA and bring 2 cables. Power for the piano and 1/4" to the PA. And there's no way I'd remember to change out the batteries before every rehearsal. Haha.

In your situation El Lobo, I'd sit near the PA and bring 2 cables. Power for the piano and 1/4" to the PA. And there's no way I'd remember to change out the batteries before every rehearsal. Haha.
Thanks for all the comments everyone. If I were to gig this thing, I'd send outs to my 2 QSC K8's. I never intended to gig the S3000, though. I was just hoping the internal speakers would be enough for not-loud rehearsals. I'll gig my Nord 5D. Perhaps later on when I'm more comfortable finding my way around the S3000, I'll gig it. But stage real estate being what it is, it will have to be on big stages and not the postage-stamp spaces in most of the places I play.

The FP-2 and FP-4 were about the same volume as the Casio.... I used both for many years. Their speakers were not sufficient for playing with a drummer. Not sure where such expectations are coming from about onboard monitor internal speakers. You'll need a little floor amp to be as loud as an upright acoustic piano.

The FP-2 and FP-4 were the same volume as the Casio.... I used both for many years! Their speakers were not sufficient for playing with a drummer.

I said FP2 and FP4 were loud enough for DRUMLESS "unplugged" rehearsal or cocktail hour. And they were much louder than the Casios, if you turned on the "Sound Control" and "Equalizer" buttons. It was loud enough where the Casios were not. I don't have the figures handy, but I measured them with a dB meter at about 3 feet away, and it was something like mid 80s vs. low 90s. I measured because it seemed so much louder, and I was curious to see what the figures were, they're on the back of some envelope somewhere. ;-) Whatever it was, it was enough to make the difference, very noticeable.

My optimized piano setting is (drum roll....)

001 GrPnoConcert

Touch Setting: Light 1

Reverb: Room 2

I find I get a little physically tired playing my 001 Piano on Normal Touch. I don't have to dig in as hard with Light 1. It's also brighter, which I like.

Room Reverb 2 really cleans up the Reverb and makes it sound more present than the default Hall 1 which is too dark for me .

I never use the Sound Mode expansion because it brightens the high end of the piano too much for my ears.

For a clean tone vintage Fender Rhodes I simply defeat the factory DSP effects setting for "EP 1" (default DSP =heavy Phaser and Vibrato) and instead I select DSP "Stereo 3 Band EQ". For more tine simply boost the Hi EQ (5.0kHz) gain by +4. Again I use the great Reverb Room 2.

Very pleased with the sound now!

My optimized piano setting is (drum roll....)

001 GrPnoConcert

Touch Setting: Light 1

Reverb: Room 2

For a clean tone vintage Fender Rhodes I simply defeat the factory DSP effects setting for "EP 1" (default DSP =heavy Phaser and Vibrato) and instead I select DSP "Stereo 3 Band EQ". For more tine simply boost the Hi EQ (5.0kHz) gain by +4. Again I use the great Reverb Room 2.

Thanks for posting your settings. I'll try them tomorrow!

Moe

---