Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NEW FORUM: Bugs?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ARGHH!

My style is to cruise the posts, and opportunistically post replies. I got a "300 second wait" message just now. Errr, that's five minutes between replies. Not exactly productive for speedsters like me. Can we adjust that parameter?

Done! Now 30 seconds.

Search tool does not seem any better. "dig my rig" returns nothing.

Here's the problem. There's a warning by the range setting that says:

Warning: Large ranges can lock forums until the search is complete.

I knocked it up to three years from two. Let's see what that does.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I prefer no avatars. It fits more postings on the screen. However, when avatars are turned off in preferences, all postings sport a 140px by 140px blank avatar with a letter in it corresponding to the first letter of the posters handle. Is there a way to make avatars truly disappear when "no" is selected?

To reduce the vertical space consumed by short postings, I find that it is better to turn avatars ON because most avatars are smaller than the default. Feel free to use my 1x1 pixel avatar.

Not a bug, but are there any plans to switch to a different theme? This one is very... white. It's a bit rough on the eyes. And there is no horizontal seperation between the threads on the thread list page anymore.

Not a bug, but are there any plans to switch to a different theme? This one is very... white. It's a bit rough on the eyes. And there is no horizontal seperation between the threads on the thread list page anymore.

Scroll to the very bottom of any page to the Style Chooser. Yours probably reads "ubbcentral." Switching it to "ubbthreads" might help. Save that in Preferences if you like.

Here for the gear.

Scroll to the very bottom of any page to the Style Chooser. Yours probably reads "ubbcentral." Switching it to "ubbthreads" might help. Save that in Preferences if you like.

LOL... I just tried that. It turned all the light blue borders to an off yellow.... with still the huge white space. Unfortunately this current "theme" is really hurting my eyes.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Actually, once we get a bit more settled in, Jim wants to try playing with a few different themes.

dB

I know you guys are working hard and it is very much appreciated.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

A couple more things...

The favicon is currently the default ubb one. Would be nice to get the old one back (little black/blue speaker from the Music Player Network Logo)

The left hand column width in threads is also bugging me. Looks like it dynamically adjusts based on the size of the avatar. It would be nice if this dimension were fixed so everything is uniform.

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/rpantale/pics/KCcolumnaligmnent.jpg

A couple more things...

The favicon is currently the default ubb one. Would be nice to get the old one back (little black/blue speaker from the Music Player Network Logo)

Believe it or not, Future Music wanted to keep the logo even though we got the brand.

The left hand column width in threads is also bugging me. Looks like it dynamically adjusts based on the size of the avatar. It would be nice if this dimension were fixed so everything is uniform.

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/rpantale/pics/KCcolumnaligmnent.jpg

Bugging me too. Jim's on it.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

In fixing the read/unread posts issue, would it also be possible to keep a more permanent record of unread threads as opposed to marking them all as read after one session?

[align:right]##

##[/align]

would it also be possible to keep a more permanent record of unread threads as opposed to marking them all as read after one session?

Man, I've been hoping for that since day -999. Every other forum does that, so that when the upgrade here moved in the opposite direction, it was quite a shock (I'm sure this will get fixed. No way that wiping out unread counts is supposed to happen).

A couple more things...

Believe it or not, Future Music wanted to keep the logo even though we got the brand.

I think we should have our own logo and favicon. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

No really, no one wants to talk about the fact that emoji might actually work?

Truly exciting, but also utterly dependent on the recipient having a device that contains the emoji set you"re using. The 'mind blown' emoji someone responded with, for example, wasn"t added to the standard until 2017 so anyone with an older OS definitely won"t see it. It becomes something of a minefield and fragmented experience ... but a fun one, for all that! ð¥³

I saw in another thread that Jim switched the character set to be more compatible with the old quotes and characters. Unfortunately, it looks like we lost the emoji with that change. Oh well. It was fun while it lasted.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Seems that I can't open the "quote" page in a new tab? I used that all the time for when I wanted to quote multiple people; open all the needed ones, then copy-paste each of them into my reply.

Not sure if this is something that really counts as a bug, but is there a way to not make the location on our profile link to Google Maps? Not exactly my preferred situation.

I'll let you know if I come upon anything that no one else has mentioned yet. Thanks for your work!!

Edit: thought of something else: is there any way to make it so that when we log in, that we are automatically returned to the thread we were viewing before logging in? Not a biggie, but some forums I'm on do that. It's just handy.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I prefer dark themes for forums, code editors and the like so I've been fiddling around with a dark style for the forum using a CSS script. I used the dark Talkbass style as an example. The style gets installed with a browser extension called Stylus. The example below is in Firefox.

I am an amateur with CSS. Much of the forum content is hard-coded into HTML table cells without CSS selectors, things like images and such. Without selectors their modification with straight CSS is fiddly.

There is a great deal more that could be done to it but I much prefer it as-is to the stock appearance.

rccXXIR.png

I love Dark Mode. We could probably do that...

dB

Im pretty sure the default styles for UBB have something similar. Ive seen it in their support forums. Id love to see those options built in here.

Not a bug, but I miss the gridlines around the categories (Thread Title, Replies, Views, Last Post); the visual boundaries help make things more readable/easier on the eyes.

Fully concur. This layout makes it unreadable for me. :( Once in the topic all is well. it's topic screen that is VERY hard on the eyes.

Ah! I knew it seemed awkward to navigate, but hadn't put my finger on why... that's it! It's not a problem inherent to this version of the bbs software... pianoworld uses the same software and they have the gridlines. OTOH, they solve the ugly no-left-margin problem by filling it with ads. ;-) It's okay, they don't bother me. Actually, I prefer a "Thread Title" column that isn't so wide. It just makes it harder to associate the info on the left with the info on the right, with all that unnecessary blank space in the middle. (One other thing I like about pianoworld's implementation... the 4-year search windows. It means I don't have to do as many incremental searches on the same terms to cover the desired amount of time.)

As for other requests... Dark mode, ugh! Do people really find it easier to read small white text on a black background?? But to each his own... And emojis? Man, I am so old... but apparently not old enough to appreciate a return to hieroglyphics.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Can we maybe make a list with all addressed bugs and keep that up to date in you OP dB? Not sure if that's too much work, but would be nice to have an overview.

I did see an Emoticon in Joe's post, but now it's just random characters. I get some weird characters a lot, but I think that is already addressed.

Rudy