Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which one(s) do you use, and why? Inquiring minds want to know. If you use more than one, indicate which is your primary, secondary, etc.

Also, if you switched from one DAW to another one, it would be interesting to know why...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Magix Audio Studio. It was cheap and seems to do all the basics that I need. It's an older version, which I also like because it's very clean and simple. Too many newer DAW's try to look flashy and fancy and end up just looking cluttered. That said, I'm not doing a lot of serious work. I'll mix down some practices or demos, but we go to the studio for the hardcore stuff.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

DP. Been using Performer since I had v2.2 on my Mac SE30 three+ decades ago

Why should I change? I kinda know where everything is... :idk:

dB

I started with Performer on my Mac Classic many years ago, but that was MIDI only - no audio. I'm on a PC now, but I think if I were to go back to a Mac, DP would be the route to go.

I should mention that I DO own an old MBP that I use with my Presonus digital mixer. It came with Capture and a light version of Studio One. But usually I just use Capture to get the wav flies and fly them all into Magix.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Logic and GarageBand. But mostly, Logic. I don't know why, I just like it. It feels right to me.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Cubase originally in the 90s, then Pro Tools late 90s but as a Mac user I couldn't afford to ignore Logic any longer so moved to that about 5 years ago. Would still KILL for a Pro Tools to Logic session converter, not that that will ever happen.

I'll stick with DP which I've been using since ver 5 although I must admit I've not done much of my own music making in a long while. I switched to DP shortly after I decided to try using computers at live gigs. Up until that time I'd mostly used Cakewalk/Sonar on PC's. When I tried taking that on live shows it quickly became a pain in the ass. The Windows Toshiba laptop was real picky about where and when things got plugged in and I spent precious setup time rebooting and messing with the computer. Influenced by magazines and forums I purchased a Mac Powerbook and DP5 and after some time spent getting up to speed that proved to be a much more efficient live setup.

Through numerous upgrades I continued to use DP right up until last September when the band I'd been with for four years finally found and got my replacement up to speed. It was a long process as I'd given notice clear back in February.

Number two for me is definitely Reason. The Adapted version came with some interface I bought years ago. I just couldn't get enough of it and have been on that upgrade train ever since. I "rewired' it into DP for sampling on live gigs and even used samples I created in NN19 when I played with the rock band at the "Ultimate Rock Hits Show" with the Dubuque Symphony Orchestra in January 2018.

I haven't done anything to speak of with computer music since getting out of the band but lately the desire to get back into it has been strong. My performing life is pretty simple and fun now, my wife and I formed a duo and have done a couple gigs with a few more upcoming. She plays keys, flute, mandolin and the EWI5000 I bought her for her birthday in 2018 while I play guitar and keys. I've recently begun to re-enlist DP in the hopes of creating some backing tracks I can play from the sequencer in the Korg Krome I'm using.

Number two for me is definitely Reason. The Adapted version came with some interface I bought years ago. I just couldn't get enough of it and have been on that upgrade train ever since. I "rewired' it into DP for sampling on live gigs and even used samples I created in NN19 when I played with the rock band at the "Ultimate Rock Hits Show" with the Dubuque Symphony Orchestra in January 2018.

I think ReWire is really underrated. Whenever I hear someone say "Oh, I use Pro Tools...Live looks so cool, but I don't want to switch" all I can think is you don't have to. Ditto the people who bemoan not having great instruments bundled with their DAW - get Reason. Case closed :)

I haven't done anything to speak of with computer music since getting out of the band but lately the desire to get back into it has been strong.

Follow that impulse...it's never been a better time to get involved in computer music. I hope to blow a few minds at GearFest this weekend when I explain why I feel that way.

Question: Do you use the amp sims in DP? I think they're pretty amazing, especially given that they're bundled with the program.

I have been using Pro Tools for almost two decades, and I use it because I know it reasonably well and have established a rapport with it. And for me, there's great value in that because I can get straight to creating and not tinkering or fiddling. I attempted to switch to Reaper, which I liked quite a bit, but I have an erratic schedule, and I feel it would be easier to learn a DAW if i used it continuously for three weeks instead of using it sporadically here and there, making it difficult to learn.

Follow that impulse...it's never been a better time to get involved in computer music. I hope to blow a few minds at GearFest this weekend when I explain why I feel that way.

Question: Do you use the amp sims in DP? I think they're pretty amazing, especially given that they're bundled with the program.

We rode the Harleys to Gearfest last year but Friday was a travel day and I think that was the only day you had a presentation. It's a blast but we won't make it this year.

I have browsed through those amp sims but I haven't used them for any actual recording. For a number of years most of my sequencer work has revolved around creating sounds, samples and sequences to use with bands. I have a backlog of songs of my own I'd like to get busy on and I would probably incorporate some of DP's amp sims, there are some good sounds there.

Hope this isn't a hijack, but maybe a discussion around versions and OS. I have a tendency to not want to upgrade because they add in so much stuff that all of a sudden it doesn't work on an older computer. Some of you guys are always upgrading computers and software - I just want my music computer to work and stay that way. As you guys list your preferred DAW, hardware, OS and DAW version would also be interesting.

Dan

I'm a sucker for upgrades. :) I'm using the latest macOS and Logic, and every time one of them upgrades since I have it set to automatic, I hope my projects don't get messed up. But, I don't work on them a lot so it's not really a problem. If I were doing it all the time or had clients, I would update more cautiously.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Hope this isn't a hijack, but maybe a discussion around versions and OS. I have a tendency to not want to upgrade because they add in so much stuff that all of a sudden it doesn't work on an older computer. Some of you guys are always upgrading computers and software - I just want my music computer to work and stay that way. As you guys list your preferred DAW, hardware, OS and DAW version would also be interesting.

I had wrote: "I have been using Pro Tools for almost two decades, and I use it because I know it reasonably well and have established a rapport with it. And for me, there's great value in that because I can get straight to creating and not tinkering or fiddling. I attempted to switch to Reaper, which I liked quite a bit, but I have an erratic schedule, and I feel it would be easier to learn a DAW if i used it continuously for three weeks instead of using it sporadically here and there, making it difficult to learn."

To this I'll add that - don't laugh - I am still using the original Mac Pro 1,1 from about 2006 because I don't have enough money to upgrade to my newer iMac (2018) because of upgrading PT, all the third-party software, and the HDs. I have a tower with large HD capacity and it works great, so I'm just going to keep it going. I am presently using OS 10.7.5, which is as high as I can update the OS. Basically, I have a computer that is frozen in time. I am in the extreme minority here, but I just don't care because it works great. The DAW version of PT is I think somewhere around 10.3. I think.

I purchased a new computer not so much because of PT but because of running Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. The old computer was struggling with the increased file sizes and various demands placed on it, and wasn't doing well with Photoshop. However, file sizes for Pro Tools haven't increased at all, and in fact, it runs better than ever because I have an SSD inside now.

I am still using the original Mac Pro 1,1 from about 2006 because I don't have enough money to upgrade to my newer iMac (2018) because of upgrading PT, all the third-party software, and the HDs. I have a tower with large HD capacity and it works great, so I'm just going to keep it going. I am presently using OS 10.7.5, which is as high as I can update the OS. Basically, I have a computer that is frozen in time. I am in the extreme minority here, but I just don't care because it works great. The DAW version of PT is I think somewhere around 10.3. I think.

This is a perfectly reasonable strategy. Its what I was hinting at with my post above. The only issue is if the machine dies to where it cannot be fixed and you need something new.

Many people would be better served by buying their computer and not upgrading. I know a graphic designer who complains about having to upgrade but I wonder if she really needs to. Have Photoshop file formats changed? Because if they havent, she could just keep using the version she has and send those ps files.

To this I'll add that - don't laugh - I am still using the original Mac Pro 1,1 from about 2006 because I don't have enough money to upgrade to my newer iMac (2018) because of upgrading PT, all the third-party software, and the HDs. I have a tower with large HD capacity and it works great, so I'm just going to keep it going. I am presently using OS 10.7.5, which is as high as I can update the OS. Basically, I have a computer that is frozen in time. I am in the extreme minority here, but I just don't care because it works great.

I'm not sure you're in an extreme minority overall. A lot of people keep using what works. Hey, I have a 1966 Telecaster that works just fine...I see no reason to buy a new one :)

I'm in a different extreme minority - I've been using Acid, Cakewalk, Cubase, Pro Tools, Reason, Studio One, and Vegas since version 1.0 of all of these programs (well technically, Pro Tools was Sound Tools). So, I have to keep everything updated so it's all in sync. I only got really tripped up when there were many months without a 64-bit compatible Reason librar,y and Pro Tool's glacier-like march to 64-bit operation. From time to time, there are various issues - e.g., you can't enable ReWire in Studio One when using NI Komplete Kontrol, and Ableton doesn't recognize VST3 plug-ins - but overall, the experience has been smoother than you might expect using all these different programs.

When Studio One hit version 4, that really flipped a switch for me in terms of it being a great DAW for songwriting. Cakewalk still has several mixing features I like (Mix Recall, Upsampling). Live is the only software I'll use for live performance because of its stability. Reason continues to be my "backline," thanks to ReWire.

Pro Tools is something I use when I have to. It's fine for what it does, but it doesn't have various features which have become important to me. Cubase is incredible, it can do everything, but it's overkill for my needs. I do use it from time to time, though. I sometimes export tracks to Digital Performer to use the amps sims and guitar effects, which are really quite something.

I'm rather intrigued by the latest version of Acid, which I thought had died. Magix is to be commended for raising it from the dead. I'd forgotten how easy it is to put together acidized loops and create something in minutes. It still lags way behind with MIDI and a few other things, but I'm impressed that Magix didn't just give up, but took care of the people who still have Acid projects sitting on their hard drives.

Im on Logic pro. Was the obvious move when I needed more options in GarageBand.

Im surprised there are not many ableton users here. Never worked with it, but that would be the one if I would switch, I think.

I'm a sucker for upgrades. :) I'm using the latest macOS and Logic, and every time one of them upgrades since I have it set to automatic, I hope my projects don't get messed up.

My bassist had logic on an automatic update with the latest version (10.4.5). Midi was all screwed up in is projects. Luckily he could restore using time machine. I always wait when I know its stable!

Rudy

Im surprised there are not many ableton users here. Never worked with it, but that would be the one if I would switch, I think.

I don't have Ableton personally, but when performing live, the other person I am playing music with uses Ableton Live on a laptop, and swears it's the best thing for live performance.

Pro Tools is something I use when I have to. It's fine for what it does, but it doesn't have various features which have become important to me.

For you or anyone else who has any insight into Pro Tools....why ARE they so late in adopting what are commonplace in other DAWs? The freeze track function took years for them to implement.

The one thing I will say for them is that when they do come around to implementing something, it seems to be done pretty well.

Since I use PT as a glorified tape machine except for its editing capabilities, I'm fine. I don't need tons of instruments, sims, and other stuff, and it's editing is more than capable. But I do find myself scratching my head over how they are so late to the game with crucial features that others have (64-bit, freezing tracks, etc.).

Have been using GarageBand, then Logic & FCP for 5 years (when I switched to the Mac). Never been thrilled with the interfaces - sure they are usable, filled with features and stable. But even now that I know the software well, the interfaces still kludgey to me, they feel like they were created by someone who is more of a programmer than an artist.

5 years later, Im still wistful for the slickness of the Sony Vegas and Acid Pro interface. Its too bad they never ported them over to the Mac - I honestly think they would have owned the Mac.

I don't have Ableton personally, but when performing live, the other person I am playing music with uses Ableton Live on a laptop, and swears it's the best thing for live performance.

Ableton's audio engine is incredibly stable. In all the years I've been using it, it has NEVER hiccuped on me live.

The only way to get it to stop is to lift the laptop running it 10 feet above a concrete floor, and drop the laptop. Although even then, the screen and case might be cracked, but Live could conceivably still be running.

Pro Tools is something I use when I have to. It's fine for what it does, but it doesn't have various features which have become important to me.

For you or anyone else who has any insight into Pro Tools....why ARE they so late in adopting what are commonplace in other DAWs? The freeze track function took years for them to implement.

The one thing I will say for them is that when they do come around to implementing something, it seems to be done pretty well.

Since I use PT as a glorified tape machine except for its editing capabilities, I'm fine. I don't need tons of instruments, sims, and other stuff, and it's editing is more than capable. But I do find myself scratching my head over how they are so late to the game with crucial features that others have (64-bit, freezing tracks, etc.).

I really don't know. I agree that when they implement something, they do it well. Maybe they just want to take their time and get it right because of all the people who depend on it. But once you find there are features in other programs that speed up workflow for some types of projects by a huge percentage, Pro Tools becomes less attractive.

I really don't know. I agree that when they implement something, they do it well. Maybe they just want to take their time and get it right because of all the people who depend on it. But once you find there are features in other programs that speed up workflow for some types of projects by a huge percentage, Pro Tools becomes less attractive.

Oh yeah, I would think so.

I've tried switching. I liked Reaper. But the thing is that I use a DAW sporadically, not every day, and I found it difficult to try and learn another program, and I already have a workflow with PT, so as pathetic as they can be at giving us new features that speed workflow, and as much as I need to save money, I'm still using PT. But given the resources and cash they have, I just don't know why they are so slow to change. Especially since other DAWs have been taking enormous chunks away from their profit line.

But given the resources and cash they have, I just don't know why they are so slow to change. Especially since other DAWs have been taking enormous chunks away from their profit line.

Sometimes, I think progress is inversely proportional to the number of developers. When you think of the fastest-moving DAWs, it's Studio One, Reaper, and Cakewalk. All of them have very small teams of developers, so they don't waste time with meetings, bureaucracies, and politics.

On a related note, EQ magazine was at its absolute most successful when it was just Mitch Gallagher and me running it. Our staff meetings were literally 5 minutes, and done over the phone. We'd divvy up the articles, decide which authors we were going to use...done. Of course there was page layout and art direction, but they also controlled their worlds, without interference.

Meetings are the death of productivity. Avid is a big company. I think the two may be related. :)

On a related note, EQ magazine was at its absolute most successful when it was just Mitch Gallagher and me running it. Our staff meetings were literally 5 minutes, and done over the phone.

OT question - any chance you guys team up and host a Gear Review Forum here on MPN? Kinda like a one-stop shop for pro online reviews. Maybe partner with some of the sponsors.

Between the two of you, you guys have some of the best gear reviews on the net.

On a related note, EQ magazine was at its absolute most successful when it was just Mitch Gallagher and me running it. Our staff meetings were literally 5 minutes, and done over the phone.

OT question - any chance you guys team up and host a Gear Review Forum here on MPN? Kinda like a one-stop shop for pro online reviews. Maybe partner with some of the sponsors.

Between the two of you, you guys have some of the best gear reviews on the net.

Well, Sweetwater keeps Mitch pretty busy! But I would like to start Pro Reviews again, and do more reviews in general. Stay tuned...the Musicplayer thing has kind of taken me by surprise, but I have plans :)

I'm thinking of doing reviews specifically in this forum. If it gets out of hand, though, we may need a separate forum for reviews - so your idea makes a lot of sense.