Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio PX S1000 vs Yamaha P125 Question

So I am a long time (old) pro keyboardist, primarily piano player. I have gigged with a Yamaha CP300 for many years now and the previous versions of the CP300 for many years before that.

Maybe a dozen times a year I get asked to play a wedding ceremony and it is becoming tough for me hauling the CP300 around for that, as often I am then also moving locations for the cocktail hour.

So I am considering the Yamaha P125 or Casio PX S1000. I have read lots of reviews and listened to demos, but I'm not sure I can get my hands on them to demo for myself (at least for sure no one around me has the Casio).

So I'd like to ask... the first thing being are these professional enough keys for the job? I really only care about the piano sound and the action. Despite the hassle and weight of the CP300, I'd rather just use it if these are not really up for the job and I done't really feel I can pay much more than the $600 these are going for, for this purpose.

But if they are capable enough, whats the preference? I'm obviously a Yamaha guy and would just go with the P125, but the Casio seems to really be getting some good reviews and there are a couple of small things that make me lean that way... the audio input and the battery operation. Both could come in handy now and again..but certainly not deal breakers by any means.

I certainly appreciate any advice!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing to be aware of is that the speakers in those boards are nowhere near as beefy as what's in the CP300. If that could be an issue, I suggest looking at the Kurzweil KA90 (or possibly what seem like its twins from some other companies). Its sounds aren't good, but the speakers are, and it has a line input, so you can just use its keys/speakers and get better sounds from an attached iPhone or iPad.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

As far as comparison between the Casio PXS 1000 and the Yamaha 125 , I would go with the Yamaha.

I have heard both, and admittedly, I am more used to the Yamaha approach to how the piano sounds are voiced. And there is the issue of plunkiness in the B5/ C5 range of the Casio.

To me when the tones around B5 and C5 are played softly the Casio sounds more like a Wurlitzer electric piano ( to me) than it does an acoustic instrument. Some of the older Yamahas had something similar ( CP33 era ) where there is a bit more attack than I would like.

My preference ( sound wise) in the budget portables is the Roland FP-30, although I have a bit of an issue with the action , which at times seems heavy. However I have noticed differences from instrument to instrument.

For whatever reason Roland has offered a fairly good version of the Supernatural acoustic sample in the FP 30. Since it has been out for awhile it can be had for prices comparable to the Casio.

I was hoping Casio would address some of the sound issues this time around. Maybe it's just me, or maybe others don't mind it.

The Casio PX-S1000 would be fine for this type of job. I have used a PX-560M extensively in the past for wedding/cocktail hour jobs, playing the ceremony, breaking down and moving to the cocktail location. Works fine, and often get compliments on the sound. I work for Casio as a product trainer, and have also worked for many years selling keyboards. I started using a Casio for piano jobs in 2009 (PX-330), well before I worked for them. Really liked the action and piano sound, and the light weight of the instrument.

Composer/Performer at Roger Hooper Music

Product Trainer at CASIO

www.rogerhooper.com

I played as P125 at GC. I did not care for it's action, response... the sound was okay.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I really appreciate the opinions so far! I checked into a Yamaha CP 4 but still $1,400 on Ebay. Right now, financially my situation is that I'll just keep schlepping the CP300... unless at $600 and with that degree of portability these things actually do kick ass "enough" to do the job.

I believe the CP33 has the same piano sound and same action as the CP300, and weighs about 30 lbs less. You might find a used one near your budget. You could conceivably sell your CP300 for more and end up cash positive out of it. But CP300 is tough to ship, so it might depend on where you live, i.e. how easy it would be to find a local buyer.

It's subjective, but you also might find the current Casios (PX-S1000 or others), Kawai ES-110, Korg D1, or Roland FP10 to be preferable to the used CP33, too, in that same price range.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Great suggestion on the CP33!! I am seeing them for around $800 amd although a little more $ and a little more weight and of course used, going to seriously consider that. I definitely won't be selling my CP300 any time soon though. It is so integral to my live stage set up in so many ways

I was wondering the same (Yamaha P125 or Casio PXS1000) especially as the former went for only 414 new at Amazon yesterday, including shipping. Now its back up to its regular price. Still, I didnt bite.

Some of my reasons:

- dont care for its GHS action

- regular mentioning of stuck keys

- no Bluetooth

- too high (17cm compared to the Casios 10cm)

I own both the Casio PX S-3000 and a Yamaha P-125. I've also played a PX S-1000 at a Guitar Center.

I think the P-125 and the PX S-1000 could be considered a toss up.

It's my opinion that the PXS-3000 is definitely superior to the Yamaha P-125 and gets you closer to the Yamaha CP 300. But of course it's 200.00 more.

The PX S-3000 has a really fine action and the Stage Piano and Ambient Piano, neither of which are on the 1000, are very good and I don't hear the plunkiness that some complain of.

At some point the weight difference of slepping 71lbs vs 24lbs might be a more important factor than it is now.

The action and basic piano sound are identical on 1000 and 3000 no? For my purposes for this I don't need what I understand to be the extras of 3000. I just need it to be quality action and Grand Piano sound. Acceptable quality..you know what I mean... i know that is different for for everyone, but I mention the CP300 only in the sense that if it is way off from that kind of action and piano sound I'll just keep lugging the CP300. But if its good enough, I'm only using it for a limited, specific handful of gigs a year.. and don't need any other features...although as I mentioned the audio input of Casio is sometimes useful for this situation...and the battery power means I might use it in other different circumstances

The 1000 and 3000 have the same action. The "Grand Piano" patch is also identical on both. I never tried the CP3000 but i have to say that Casio are up to something with those new Privias.

There's something really "inviting" about the new action on the PX-S1000, i had to come back to the store and play it again...for no reason at all...other than i missed playing it.

I hope they continue innovating and evolving that action even more in future years.

The action and basic piano sound are identical on 1000 and 3000 no? For my purposes for this I don't need what I understand to be the extras of 3000. I just need it to be quality action and Grand Piano sound. Acceptable quality..you know what I mean... i know that is different for for everyone, but I mention the CP300 only in the sense that if it is way off from that kind of action and piano sound I'll just keep lugging the CP300. But if its good enough, I'm only using it for a limited, specific handful of gigs a year.. and don't need any other features...although as I mentioned the audio input of Casio is sometimes useful for this situation...and the battery power means I might use it in other different circumstances

"The PX S-3000 has a really fine action and the Stage Piano and Ambient Piano, neither of which are on the 1000, are very good and I don't hear the plunkiness that some complain "

My point was missed. Among the extra sounds on the S-3000 that you "don't need" there are about 6 additional piano patches and the two I mentioned above are sonically different from the 5 you get on the S-1000.

They are the reason that I didn't pass on purchasing the new Casio.

Right, I understood those patches you mentioned you were not on 1000, it's just seemed like you were including the action as well as being different. And I just need a quality piano sound... are you saying those patches (stage piano and ambient) are in such a different league? Like the main piano sound is not really usable but those are?

I just have no opportunity to demo the Casio myself, so really apprecaier the inoput.

I'm sorry about the confusion. The action is indeed the same in the S-1000 and S-3000 It's very much improved from the PX5S which was considered pretty remarkable in a 26lb keyboard at the time of its release.

But I wanted to stress the difference in Pianos that the S-3000 offers. I play an average of 18-20 gigs a month with more than half solo piano or piano/ guitar duos. So there's plenty of exposed, featured piano. I prefer the Stage Piano and Ambient Piano to the Default Grand and all it's iiterations found in both of the new Casios.

You've been given some good suggestions here i.e. the Yamaha CP33 but if there's any way you can get to play and audition the Casio PX S-3000 you should.

Good luck!

The action and sounds on Casio PX-S3000 Digital Piano are nice for the price!. And it has a pitch mod wheel, expression pedal input, and many different sounds. Only USB (Not MIDI out).

I compared the Roland RD-2000 and Yamaha 88key MOX series and those key beds seemed mushy/spongy and more tiring to play.

I used to like Yamaha SX90 and Korg T1 for their weighted keys. Now I use a Kawai MP and a Nord electro. But for the price (about $800 US) the Casio Previa key bed seemed (to me) more Piano-like and expressive. Surprisingly good!

tripp323

Nord Electro, Kawai MP, Roland JX-305, Korg T1 & 707

Hey thanks ewall08530. You've got me thinking maybe the $200 might be a worthwhile investment. Those other extras along with what you consider to be superior piano patches are probably worth it. New S3000 or used CP33?

In my opinion the main piano patch on the Casio is the best not the other six. Most folks would agree, and thats why Casio features it has the number one Piano patch on both models.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

If I was going for strictly grand piano sound and a good action I would pick the PXS 1000. I selected the 3000 just for the electric pianos it adds . Oh, and its ability to record audio wav. Does the 1000 have audio input too? I needed that as well.

By the way when I auditioned the P125 they had the PX-S1000 there, side by side. I felt the P125 action to be plastic and unrealistic. The sound was like a recording. I felt the action on the S1000 to be realistic and the sound gave the feeling of gabbing a real piano in the , albeit a miced piano.

Man I went to NYC immediately when they got the Roland RD2000 on the floor. I wanted to love that keyboard so much. I thought they had really nailed it on so many fronts, particularly as a controller and loved those leds on the endless rotarys and faders... audio over usb and on and on. I was ready to ditch the CP300 and was looking at new ways to stack my second keyboard with the RD2000.

But I just didn't LOVE it when I played it. Don't get me wrong it was great, but the piano just ever so synthy sounding and the action just not quite there for me.. not quite the dynamic punch when digging in like on the CP300. I may actually still buy one, just wasn't enough to make me walk out with one at that moment. I love my CP300.

I don't really dig any of the current RDs or FPs. I did like my FP4 for several years. But the new models let me down. Roland changed the "Superior Grand" to the "Super Natural" sound and the action became cumbersome, imo. I get around much better on a Yamaha CP4 than the RD2000, the CP4 is my favorite of all the portable offerings including Nord, Roland, Kurzweil and Kawai. It's just too heavy for my back and lacks internal speakers for practice and acoustic piano volume gigs. Thus the best choice for me is the 25 pound Casio with a great action and good piano sound and internal speakers.

What is the difference between CP5 and CP4 ?

I think the main difference was the CP4 was lighter and had new CFX sound engine, which some thought was improvement and others not so much.

@jazz+ good thread here also

I read a lot of posts over the last weeks describing all the advantages and improvements of the CP4 over the CP5. Well, I guess it is also time to highlight some things which I believe are still strengths of the CP5:

- The CP5 is built like a tank. I had to take it apart this weekend to fix a key and let me tell you the thing consists only of wood and metal. Yes, thats why it is so heavy. On the other hand, the CP4 seems to me much easier to be damaged while being carried around

- Real time controllers: I completely miss the possibility on the CP4 to change some things in real time. I agree the user interface on the CP5 is a bit special but you could define for every sound program 3 effect parameters for the large controller knobs. This is gone for the CP4

- Layering: I actually enjoy the fact that I am able to layer up to 4 sounds with my CP5. This can generate really nice fat sounds for live playing. Only 2 layered parts for the CP4

- Effects: even having a not so straight-forward user interface in the CP5, I found it more intuitive to edit effect parameters. Also I believe not all parameters, especially in the pre-amp sections, are still available in the CP4

- Call it cheesy, but I liked to play along with some of the internal drum loops. I know some people complained about them but switching on the piano and just play along some beats can be a nice usage of some spare time

- No microphone input for the CP4: this could be a nice feature in small setups

- Design: I think the CP5 looks really cool, a little bit like a 70s E-piano. The CP4 looks like a cheap plastic keyboard

I know some things are very subjective. Nevertheless I wanted to point out some nice features since the CP5 is not in the stores anymore and everybody just talks about the CP4. RIP CP5!!!

:cry:

• 2 weeks later...
@Dave Ferris- I haven't been able to try out a P515 so far, but given I like my P125 and liked other Yamaha pianos (I used the CP33 on a few cruise ships and liked the P255) I am considering just getting it without trying- one of the retailers sent me a 20% coupon so I could get it for $1,200.