Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Major thanks to Dave and Jim for keeping these forums alive, Future Music for giving them the keys to the car, and for the invitation to return to these digs!

The nature of forums has changed since SSS started 24 years ago, but the Keyboard Corner proves the forum paradigm is far from dead. Sure, Facebook has its place...however, forums are repositories of discussions and knowledge that Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram can't match. The existence of other formats also means that forums can do what they do best.

Right now I'm very busy prepping my seminars for Sweetwater's GearFest, so this is kind of an awkward time for me to start topics and seed some discussions. But that doesn't stop you!

Let the fun begin :)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's interesting to see all these old names from 14 year old posts that many of us probably haven't seen in years!

I'm very excited by Dave's attitude about these forums. We've already discussed some ideas I've been wanting to implement since...well, since I was here last, and he thinks they're doable. But I'd be happy just to start with interesting discussions about interesting topics. :)

I wasn"t active here when SSS was active, nor was I ever very active on HC, so can someone tell me what this place is about? Is it just all things Anderton or something more specific? :idk:

(I"m sure it will be cool, just wondering what kind of cool. :) )

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I wasn"t active here when SSS was active, nor was I ever very active on HC, so can someone tell me what this place is about? Is it just all things Anderton or something more specific? :idk:

(I"m sure it will be cool, just wondering what kind of cool. :) )

It's like a bar, with a bunch of really cool people hanging out, and talking about all kinds of things involving sound, studio, and stage. Make yourself at home! The pool is just left of the cabanas as you walk around the left side of the bar. There should be towels there, if not, just let me know. (When you're finished, we'd really appreciate it if you put the towels in the hamper that's next to the water slide.)

Also, remember that Sound, Studio, and Stage is now pet-friendly! Well, with one exception. Welcome!!

H5Y3f7P.jpg

Well, I've been to the forum here a number of times over the years mostly to discuss keyboards. I'd heard that SSS had been here before but I don't recall being aware of it at the time, perhaps it was even before I was signed up.

Short version:

SSS started on AOL in the mid-90s (I was one of the members!); then, when AOL's braintrust decided it didn't want forums any more, this site was created in 1999/2000 - spearheaded by Craig - by the group that owned a bunch of magazines (CMP) to host SSS and a bunch of other new forums created for this purpose. Their mags ( Keyboard, Guitar Player, Bass Player, Surround Professional and EQ) all got forums, as did a few luminaries like George Massenburg and Roger Nichols (see MPN ARCHIVES). Craig picked me to run Keyboard's forum, which I still do.

SSS moved to HC in 2005. Long story there...a lot of it had to do with the fact that CMP really had no idea what they had here. :facepalm:

Bottom line: without Craig, this entire site/these communities would probably not exist. :idk:

We could not be happier to have him back home. :boing::wave:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

It's like a bar, with a bunch of really cool people hanging out

Oh well, that rules me out. :(

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Bottom line: without Craig, this entire site/these communities would probably not exist. :idk:

In all seriousness, thanks Craig for changing my life. When I started becoming active on KC around 2008, it allowed me to do things I don't think I would have considered if it weren't from what I learned from KC and the fine people there. I don't know if I would have a music nor a music-related career at all if it weren't for KC. On top of that, I've made friends and connections and had experiences that definitely would not have happened if it weren't for meeting people on KC.

So to the guy who got it all started, I say thank you. :2thu:

In all seriousness, thanks Craig for changing my life. When I started becoming active on KC around 2008, it allowed me to do things I don't think I would have considered if it weren't from what I learned from KC and the fine people there. I don't know if I would have a music nor a music-related career at all if it weren't for KC. On top of that, I've made friends and connections and had experiences that definitely would not have happened if it weren't for meeting people on KC.

So to the guy who got it all started, I say thank you. :2thu:

First off, welcome back, Craig! We kept the light in the window for our Wandering Boy.

Secondly, Joe - are you in any way related to the family that owned Muscara Music in Belleville, NJ? I made my first stringed instrument purchase there in the mid-70s.

Play. Just play.

Secondly, Joe - are you in any way related to the family that owned Muscara Music in Belleville, NJ? I made my first stringed instrument purchase there in the mid-70s.

Not that I know of. But I did use this as my FB cover photo for a while.

muscara-music.jpg

Well, I've been to the forum here a number of times over the years mostly to discuss keyboards. I'd heard that SSS had been here before but I don't recall being aware of it at the time, perhaps it was even before I was signed up.

Short version:

SSS started on AOL in the mid-90s (I was one of the members!); then, when AOL's braintrust decided it didn't want forums any more, this site was created in 1999/2000 - spearheaded by Craig - by the group that owned a bunch of magazines (CMP) to host SSS and a bunch of other new forums created for this purpose. Their mags ( Keyboard, Guitar Player, Bass Player, Surround Professional and EQ) all got forums, as did a few luminaries like George Massenburg and Roger Nichols (see MPN ARCHIVES). Craig picked me to run Keyboard's forum, which I still do.

SSS moved to HC in 2005. Long story there...a lot of it had to do with the fact that CMP really had no idea what they had here. :facepalm:

dB

There's no doubt it takes a lot of effort to keep forums going and I've found them invaluable over the years so I appreciate the efforts of everyone involved, a big thank you!!