Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha's Vintage Synth Museum

First post for me on the new forums! You'll be seeing a lot more of me around here now that brother Bryce â and all of us â have custody of this community. So, when I went to Synthplex in March I got to drop by Yamaha's offices in Buena Park, CA. There, Nate Tschetter had put together a "Synth Space," which is a functioning museum and petting zoo of classic Yamaha synthesizers. He showed me around, we got to play a few, and I shot a video. I already shared this on the MPN Facebook group and my personal FB page, but figured it should be here as well. It is of course Yamaha-centric but Nate isn't trying to sell us anything so it seems appropriate as a cool thing of interest. We go through the CS30, 50. 80; DX1 and DX5; the surprisingly warm-sounding GS2 (an early FM synth); and more. Enjoy!

[video:youtube]

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Such a rich list of synthesis and instruments. Would be so great for them to consider a Oasys/Kronos type instrument... and get some legit reissues out before Behringer or whoever does it.

IIRC Yamaha were first doing the multiple synthesis engine Oasys/Kronos thing -- the IMHO very underappreciated EX5. AWM Sample Playback, FDSP, VL physical modeling & virtual analog synthesis systems, versatile controls. Some unfortunate quirks, but really a hidden gem in their history.

One thing really cool about how they've set up SynthSpace is all the gear there is hooked up and ready to go. I've been fortunate to noodle around there a couple of times. Next time I get to go down there I'm going to make sure I bring some long MIDI cables as the CS80 has a MIDI retrofit and plan to layer it up with the EX5 and SY99 to redefine "huge"

Manny

People assume timbre is a strict progression of input to harmonics, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timbrally-wimbrally... stuff

A few people have covered this 'space' in recent months. GS1 - what a trip! But man - I wish you would"ve done an hour long (or more, I wouldn"t mind) video of this thing! I"m a major Yamaha geek so it would be super dope to just see MORE of what"s in there, even the various rack synths and hardware sequencers, effects... You don"t get good demos of most of the stuff on YouTube.

Such a rich list of synthesis and instruments. Would be so great for them to consider a Oasys/Kronos type instrument... and get some legit reissues out before Behringer or whoever does it.

IIRC Yamaha were first doing the multiple synthesis engine Oasys/Kronos thing -- the IMHO very underappreciated EX5. AWM Sample Playback, FDSP, VL physical modeling & virtual analog synthesis systems, versatile controls. Some unfortunate quirks, but really a hidden gem in their history.

One thing really cool about how they've set up SynthSpace is all the gear there is hooked up and ready to go. I've been fortunate to noodle around there a couple of times. Next time I get to go down there I'm going to make sure I bring some long MIDI cables as the CS80 has a MIDI retrofit and plan to layer it up with the EX5 and SY99 to redefine "huge"

Manny

I agree, the EX5 was the last time we saw such an instrument. One popped up on consignment near me a year or two ago. I was tempted but I feel it was ahead of its time. Such an instrument would really benefit from today"s computing power.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I agree, the EX5 was the last time we saw such an instrument. One popped up on consignment near me a year or two ago. I was tempted but I feel it was ahead of its time. Such an instrument would really benefit from today"s computing power.

Yeah, I think it suffered from performance issue from what I've read. I also had a chance to buy an EX5R for a relatively decent price, but passed. Also the AN section in it is monophonic.

That's really cool. A year or two ago at NAMM, Yamaha had a number of these synths on display and they could be played as well! They had a CS80, DX1, GS2, one or more of the smaller CS synths, the silver and gold 76 note DX7IIFD...it was awesome. I'm always excited to spend time with rare synths.

• 2 weeks later...
Wonderful video. Thanks, Stephen!

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music