Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Windows alternative to OnSong/iReal

Hey gang,

My iPad took a dump, and I'm wondering if there's anything I can load onto my Surface that would load my OnSong or iReal libraries. Looking to not take the financial hit of buying a new iPad. Any advice would be appreciated.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out mobilesheets for windows. mobilesheets

It is a truly outstanding sheet music displayer and run by a very nice developer who responds quickly & helpfully to any queries. It is also available for android devices so I have it on my phone as well.

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Thanks for the info about ireal pro Sven. I didn't realise there was any way of accessing it from windows. It is, needless to say, my favourite apple app. Has anyone tried accessing it like this? Are there any hidden dangers?

Thanks. :)

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the info about ireal pro Sven. I didn't realise there was any way of accessing it from windows. It is, needless to say, my favourite apple app. Has anyone tried accessing it like this? Are there any hidden dangers?

Thanks. :)

I have used Bluestacks for some emergency access to Android apps and it works fine. It can be somewhat slow, but for a chord viewer like iReal it should be perfectly OK (I have used it with the Fakebook Pro music reader app without any problems).

Rock bottom bass

Fakebook Pro Sheet Music Reader - at every gig!

I'm a fan of MobileSheets Pro. There is a stripped down cheaper version but heck Pro is only $12 off Amazon. The app will handle your chart needs and send midi changes to your rig. I'm sure other apps are good. I just know what I use.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I'm wondering if there's anything I can load onto my Surface that would load my OnSong or iReal libraries.

You guys are not answering the question. iReal Pro is not compatible between the two platforms, and it cannot be installed on a PC directly, it's an IOS or Android app only. A mobile app is not the same thing as an actual PC program. You can get an Android emulator for a PC that I've read works well but I've never tried it. Still, even if you do that you have to purchase a new Android version of IRP and whatever you have setup in the IOS version cannot be accessed by the Andriod version. I don't know about OnSong but if it's an IOS only app then I would expect it to be the same answer.

Obviously I don't know everything there is out there but I suspect you either start over with your Surface and an Android emulator if you want IRP and start using Mobilesheets or you bite the bullet and get another iPad.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Bob (and Philip):

I think Sven did answer the question. You can use an Android emulator like BlueStacks to run iRealPro on a Windows machine. And it would require purchasing a new Android install of IRP, but I presume Philip was already resigned to biting the bullet on that.

From there, you can transfer all your old content / libraries created on Mac to the new Android install via the iRealPro forum "sandbox".

I've had mixed success trying to send playlists from my OS X and iOS devices to Android users, but the forum sandbox feature has always worked seamlessly cross-platform. Of course, it requires packaging up all your content into playlists, I believe, but it's still a manual method of getting user-created content transferred to cross-platform devices.

Ok, Sven said the same thing I did regarding IRP and I didn't know about the Sandbox which is cool but Phillip also asked if there was something for the PC that would load his OnSong libraries. No answer on that one. Here's a link to the possibility of OnSong for Android:

OnSong for Android

Doesn't look very likely to me.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

According to their site, OnSong is working (somewhat slowly) on a Mac version, no mention of a PC version. They do have "console" add-in which allows viewing and adding songs from a web browser running on PC, Mac, probably Linux. OnSong is working very well for me. I'm using it in conjunction with CCLI and Ashampoo PDF Pro 2 (which allows very substantial editing on PDF files, even turning jpg images into PDF). I've built a few songs using the text based input, but usually use PDF files, since that is what CCLI supplies.

I have three iPads, it is loaded on all three. The oldest is an iPad 3 (30-pin connector), which now is dedicated to use as music sheet viewer for my playing in church praise band. The iPad 3 is quite sufficiently fast to handle the app well (I still have Module and a few other music apps on it, 32GB model, with plenty of space. Back it up to iCloud Files or Dropbox, then load the other two from the backup. Should be possible to find a good used/refurbished iPad 3 (or later - need Bluetooth 4 for most of the current pedals for page turning) at a reasonable price - by far the easiest way for anyone who is already using OnSong and familiar with its use.

Thought about a first generation 12" iPad Pro, but the 9" one works just fine when I move it a bit closer to me. Using a K&M iPad holder on a mic boom on a short stand made to fit in my OnStage 2 tier Z stand, have a cable to charge it, just insert it (I don't leave it there), tighten up the holder, power on, works a treat. I can see chord charts from further away, but have been using lead sheets mostly now, because it is much easier to keep track of proper timing.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Ok, Sven said the same thing I did regarding IRP and I didn't know about the Sandbox which is cool but Phillip also asked if there was something for the PC that would load his OnSong libraries. No answer on that one. Here's a link to the possibility of OnSong for Android:

OnSong for Android

Doesn't look very likely to me.

Bob

It will not cover everything OnSong does on iOS, but I regularly import chordpro and onsong formatted chord charts to Fakebook on Android. The Fakebook app also support IRP formatted charts, but t doesn't have the play-along feature for practice so it is not a perfect replacement. So, this _might_ just be an alternative if buying a cheap Android tablet is an option instead of running in e.g. Bluestacks.

Rock bottom bass

Fakebook Pro Sheet Music Reader - at every gig!