Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Women's World Cup

Anyone follow the US Women's National Team? They started their 2019 World Cup campaign yesterday with a 13-0 shellacking of Thailand, setting several all time records, and garnering some criticism in the process.

What - no one cares about soccer here? I get it, I'll just go back to googling images of Alex Morgan.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I care.

Older I get, the more I prefer watching soccer to other sports. Part of that is knowing the game better as my kids have been playing it, and appreciating the incredible skills those people have (as I already did about sports like bball).

That game was an incredible mismatch, one of the worst I have EVER seen in high-level sports (or low level for that matter). The coach can say what she wants, it's bush league to run up the score like that. Way to get everyone in the world, and probably people here, rooting against you. If the American team has to rely on goal differential to get through with their weak group, they aren't very good to begin with.

Personally, I don't have a major problem with running up the score, in part because goal differential is counted in tie breaks. The other reason is that as a former AYSO coach, especially in the older divisions, I thought it was disrespectful to play "keep away" or "I can score but I won't" against a team that is outclassed. To me, it showed more respect to take the other team seriously and if nothing else, the other team will take something from such a negative outcome.

What I did find distasteful was the excessive celebrations. These women are not kids and should know better. They should not be hot dogging after the game is essentially put out of reach ( which is essentially 1-0, as though there was any doubt about the outcome at any point during the game). I also blame the coaching staff for acting like disrespectful kids on the sidelines. What ever happened to winning with grace and humility??!! That did not reflect well on the US team and I hope they show more humility and respect to their next opponents, win, lose or draw.

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Personally, I don't have a major problem with running up the score, in part because goal differential is counted in tie breaks. The other reason is that as a former AYSO coach, especially in the older divisions, I thought it was disrespectful to play "keep away" or "I can score but I won't" against a team that is outclassed. To me, it showed more respect to take the other team seriously and if nothing else, the other team will take something from such a negative outcome.

What I did find distasteful was the excessive celebrations. These women are not kids and should know better. They should not be hot dogging after the game is essentially put out of reach ( which is essentially 1-0, as though there was any doubt about the outcome at any point during the game). I also blame the coaching staff for acting like disrespectful kids on the sidelines. What ever happened to winning with grace and humility??!! That did not reflect well on the US team and I hope they show more humility and respect to their next opponents, win, lose or draw.

aL

My thoughts exactly. Sure, celebrate the first five or six goals, celebrate any teammate who's scoring a first career WC goal, but Alex Morgan and Megan Rapinoe in particular should know better.

It is a good point that playing keep-a-way from a weaker team is (maybe) as demoralizing as pouring goals in. It's kind of unfortunate IMO that you can't do more subs, though I'm guessing that the bottom of the bench may have scored a lot too.

Yeah, act like you've been there (which of course, they have).