Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rhino Records says 40 years ago today Fleetwood Mac...

[video:youtube]

June 4, 1979

40 years ago today, Fleetwood Mac teamed up with the USC Marching Band and recorded the bit for the title track of their 1979 album TUSK that everyone remembers.

https://www.rhino.com/article/this-day-in-1979-fleetwood-mac-records-tusk-with-the-usc-marching-band

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember how Tusk threw us all off our game when it came out, it being a double (triple?) album at the time and fairly experimental, disco-ish in places, and quite unlike the previous few albums.

Everyone thought they were insane for throwing away a "formula" that worked, but they were also smart enough to realize that longevity requires evolution. Even so, I think Tusk nearly bankrupted them.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I saw Fleedwood Mac on a festival this weekend. Never saw them before in my life. Was it musically really good? no, to be honest. Did I miss the guitar playing of Lindsey? Yes a bit to be honest. BUT, seeing this band, and have a crowd of 70.000 people singing all songs along for about 2 hours is still special. They have quite a collection of good songs!

Rudy

I had mixed feelings at the time that TUSK came out... but in my present assessment, I strongly feel that the 2 girls (Stevie and Christine) SAVED that album by providing it with good, musical, traditional "fleetwood-ish" material... while Lindsey basically had his head up his ass, trying to prove himself "up-to-date" with punkish antics not really suited for the band... and that didn't really add any quality to the album. His '75 to '77 songwriting style would have done much better.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

Just more Rumours.

--------

Seriously, saw them last year around Thanksgiving time. Much more stage presentation and antics required to bolster the music than in the 70's. Back then the music was enough to carry the concert all the way through. Now I guess we need the lights coming out of the ceiling and the graphics circulating in the background.

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

I liked Peter Green's late 60's Fleetwood Mac more than the wildly successful 70's incarnation of the band with the sultry dancing fairy. However, I confess that I enjoyed watching the dancing fairy band far more than Peter Green's ugly hippie dude band ;) .

FWIW Peter Green was one of the best guitarists on the planet before he started dropping too much acid and went crazy.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)