Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Have you had electric shocks?

I managed to get my finger tip across 2-3kV on a printed circuit board I was working on. I felt the jolt up my arm, and when I looked down there was a puff of smoke coming out of my finger. On further inspection, the voltage had punched a tiny through and through hole in my finger which didn't bleed since it got cauterized in the process.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was repairing a Tube TV back when people did such things. I was helping a friend in his shop. And I got a jolt from the fly back transformer. I was close to it and the shielding was bad which caused it to spark to the chassis. Unfortunately my hand was in the path. The transformer voltage was 20kv I probably only got hit with about 400v at that distance for second when it snapped into me. But it knocked me on my ass and I was unconscious for about 1-2 minutes, from hitting my head. Good thing I wasn't the only one in the room, it didn't kill me but if my heart had stopped without somebody to help me I would probably be dead. I worked on a radar warning system in the Air force that had a similar sized CRT and other systems with traveling wave tubes with similar voltage requirements. I never had an issue like that. All the high voltage components were very well sealed. I guess that's the difference between consumer and military electronics. Other than a 'handshake' from a faulty lamp and a couple of shocks to the lips from a mic. I haven't had any other issues.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

I skipped the story of my youth when I tried to get a broken plug out of a socket using a wire. I was probably five years old. I will never forget it. FAR more serious than what someone else described above, but possibly due to my body size at that age. Lucky to be alive. If it was 220V like some countries, probably I'd be dead. I couldn't let go. You see this in B-movies and it's TRUE!

Getting zapped by a "live" mic that was probably 1/4" to 1/2" away at the time, multiple times at a gig (after I said something's wrong and was laughed off), didn't come close to the childhood experience, but scared me due to the memories of that time. I didn't understand how it was possible, looked it up, but have now forgotten how that can happen, as it was around 2002.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

When I was a child I stuck my finger in a live lamp socket. That was the start of my EE career. I have a theory that all electrical engineers have tested a live lamp socket at least once as a child, and so far that hasn't been disproven.

About ten years ago I'm working on my Hammond tonewheel organ (NOT clonewheel) and felt 250VDC on the wrong points on a chassis. That's the plate voltage for vacuum tubes. Didn't do damage but I called it a night after that.

I knew a tech who repaired tube amps. He touched a 700 volt plate buss and it threw him across the room. He was never the same after that. I offered a cure in that all you had to do was reverse the polarity...

I've been shocked by an electric fence. Touching it with your hand is bad enough, but did you know urine conducts electricity?

When I was growing up I heard a similar story around my hometown.

I lick 9V batteries regularly - that's my battery test.

Yup, me too.

I think you're onto something, as it DEFINITELY was a big reason why I got into Circuit Analysis and EE later in life, but my fascination with all things mechanical pushed me more towards that side of things over time.

Strangely, I now have ZERO interest in EE. My Computer Science work is entirely relegated to Acoustics, Audio Engineering, CAD, Computer Graphics, and Mechanical Engineering. I guess I'm "healed" now. :-)

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

When i was around 18, i used to fix tube radios for friends.

I was working on a Telefunken radio, with 400V CC internal when i touched the wrong wire.

I switched to battery powered transistor radios and TTL circuits :-< ...

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

I once did something stupid, opening up a 120V outlet when I thought I had turned off its circuit breaker, but in fact had turned off some other circuit breaker.

Never take a circuit breaker for granted.

A crew at work was preparing to repair some production equipment. They turned off the correct breaker, but someone noticed the operator interface still had power. They discovered that the breaker was defective and still passing current.

Never take a circuit breaker for granted, ALWAYS confirm that power is indeed cut off.