Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Dr John

Yup. One of my favorite obscure recordings of his is a solo piano version of "Blue Monk" he did for a multi-artist Monk tribute record in the '80s, called "That's The Way I Feel Now." I always thought it was odd that he played it in F instead of the original Bb, but you know, it's Mac, so whatever. Then I heard from someone who had worked on that album that he sent them twelve different versions of the tune, each in a different key and a different style, and told them to pick whichever one they liked best. Sadly the masters were lost in a fire, but man, what a study that would have been.

That is an awesome link: never heard it before.

Not only the "play in all keys," but the real specific lesson I learned off Mac's records was, pretty much, "even if the key doesn't fit your hands to do a full-sounding piano with tenths in the LH, there's still a way to make it work by just...making it work."

Like "Somebody Changed The Lock": you know. I think he had pretty big hands, but so do I, and I can't hit the Bb tenth straight-on and walk it down to the G7.

So, you can just kind of adapt it and make it sound good, even if it's not the way you'd write it down for a transcription or arrangement "for solo piano." Just put the third in bass if needed, or whatever's comfortable, so long as the overall motion is leading sensibly to the next big change.

I guess his big lesson for me, among many others, was, "if it sounds good, and you can hit the important bits with your LH, it is good." It reminds me a bit of Jelly Roll on the LoC recordings: just make it happen with the LH rhythm section, and then you're free to be as relaxed as you want with the other parts.

Frees up your RH to add all of those melodic elements, and emhasize how to use all of the innumerable variations on turnarounds and walk-ups that you need.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice this, but for a great example of using the whole keyboard to do walk-ups and other flashy, idiomatic, Doctorated things, just check out Chuck Leavell on the Brothers and Sisters album. I don't think anyone would deny some of the influence of the Doctor on Chuck's playing on the album, even though it's pretty much a whole different groove.

Very nice version of "Such a Night," BTW. That's a good one for a tribute, and you make it work as a solo piano without vox, hitting all the melody so there's no mistaking what tune it is.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never knew much about his body of work (other than the hits we all know) but when he released "Locked Down" I was so blown away. It's a record I listen to a lot.

I felt under this modern production team he could've had a revival and a rejuvenated career. I was looking forward to so much more from him...

Electro 5, NI Kontrol S61/49, MX49, PC3, Rev2, Prologue, Pro3, Juno-DS, Mopho Keys, SE02, drums, tons of synth software, guitars, amps, and pedals...help me!!

Many thanks to folks on this forum. With the clue that "Dorothy" was also known as "Song for Mother", I found a sheet. Learned it today and played it out at a gig this evening. Blew the doors off the joint.

If only the audience knew: 1) Dr. John played 10ths with his LH. My hands are too small. 2)Got lost a few times and just repeated a couple of chord progressions. Advantage of playing solo piano.

Now I have to finish the woodshedding and learn the song proper.

Thanks again.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

The advantage of playing a great song very few people have heard, you can get lost, recover, and know one will know the difference.

I'm working up a solo version of Right Time. Probably will take a few weeks to get it to where I actually like it, but I'm inspired by a recording of James Booker doing it in a medley. Of course he was singing, I'm not.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I'm working up a solo version of Right Time. Probably will take a few weeks to get it to where I actually like it, but I'm inspired by a recording of James Booker doing it in a medley.

This may be helpful: the only time I've heard Mac do it solo. Starts about 16:15.

[video:youtube]

Very sad to hear this...

His albums "Dr. John Plays Mac Rebennack Vol. I and II" are some of my favorite blues/New Orleans style recordings of all time.

RIP Mac

"...and that TV channel at the hotel that's, like, ABOUT the hotel?"

Yamaha CP 73 / Numa Organ 2 / Korg Prologue 8

Problem is with the homespun series is that it was hard to get anything out of them because he couldn't relay the information well.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

My own meager tribute. I heard the news literally moments before I was about to start a solo gig yesterday. So this was my first tune:

https://www.facebook.com/josh.paxton.56/videos/10157276202347378/?notif_id=1559859795708244

Great playing! Is this shot in a mirror or something? It looks as if your piano is inverted, with bass notes on the right and treble notes on the left. It's absolutely messing with my head.

My own meager tribute. I heard the news literally moments before I was about to start a solo gig yesterday. So this was my first tune:

https://www.facebook.com/josh.paxton.56/videos/10157276202347378/?notif_id=1559859795708244

Thanks, Josh - I thoroughly enjoyed listening (and watching)!

Bobby

Kurzweil Forte 7, Studiologic SL73 with Mainstage, Ibanez basses, Numerous Guitars, Presonus StudioOne 5

Great playing! Is this shot in a mirror or something? It looks as if your piano is inverted, with bass notes on the right and treble notes on the left. It's absolutely messing with my head.

Thanks. When you broadcast live on Facebook with the front-facing camera, it flips the image. (I think there's a way to disable that, but I had no time to figure it out before I started.) Try focusing on the reflection in the piano instead!

I picture Mac himself, relaxing up there somewhere, surrounded by groupies, telling them: "Actually, THAT guy is the best pianist in New Orleans".

Cheers, Mike.

My take on his instructional tapes is this: If you went into them expecting to have the music spoon-fed to you, you were in for disappointment. The instruction certainly wasnt as direct and straightforward as you might expect, and there were inconsistencies and contradictions and things that superficially might not make a lot of sense. So if you were, say, a college jazz major with only a passing interest, or a weekend warrior just looking for some cool new licks to play over a blues with your bar band, then yeah, you might not get a whole lot out of them. But if you were a serious student of New Orleans music and what it's really all about, there were deeper lessons there, far more valuable than just copying exact licks, for those who were hip enough to work them out.

I was decidedly not that hip when I first saw them; it took going back to them later, with some years and some experience under my belt, for me to really appreciate them. Only then did I realize that they were full of things I hadn't even realized I needed to know, but that I definitely needed to know.

I picture Mac himself, relaxing up there somewhere, surrounded by groupies, telling them: "Actually, THAT guy is the best pianist in New Orleans".

That's entirely too kind, but thank you. He did once say to me "Man, I tell you what, you are f*ckin' blessed" after hearing me play a couple Longhair tunes. I don't think my feet touched the ground for about three days after that.

Tomorrow I'm gonna do a little tribute to him on WWOZ in the afternoon demonstrate a couple things, probably play a tune or two. So, gotta go shed...

My take on his instructional tapes is this: If you went into them expecting to have the music spoon-fed to you, you were in for disappointment. The instruction certainly wasnt as direct and straightforward as you might expect, and there were inconsistencies and contradictions and things that superficially might not make a lot of sense. So if you were, say, a college jazz major with only a passing interest, or a weekend warrior just looking for some cool new licks to play over a blues with your bar band, then yeah, you might not get a whole lot out of them. But if you were a serious student of New Orleans music and what it's really all about, there were deeper lessons there, far more valuable than just copying exact licks, for those who were hip enough to work them out.

I was decidedly not that hip when I first saw them; it took going back to them later, with some years and some experience under my belt, for me to really appreciate them. Only then did I realize that they were full of things I hadn't even realized I needed to know, but that I definitely needed to know.

I agree with you Josh but they still weren't that great seen from a novice player and in those days there wasn't any internet. My ear was good but not that good. I do love the style. Harry Connick Jr. is also very good at that.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

That's entirely too kind, but thank you. He did once say to me "Man, I tell you what, you are f*ckin' blessed" after hearing me play a couple Longhair tunes. I don't think my feet touched the ground for about three days after that.

I recommend his meaty autobiography "Under a Hoodoo Moon: The Life of the Night Tripper" as an unflinching look at his life, high and low. Its a gritty read, so be prepared. Bland he was NOT! He had one lively, jumpin' style, at the keyboard and elsewhere. I especially recall his comment upon the death of his longtime mentor, Henry Roeland "Roy" Byrd, better known as Professor Longhair or "Fess". He said "I feel blessed to have had him pass through my life." His work taught me to loosen up a bit more and my piano playing became better for it. Anyone who helps other people juice up their own musical game(s) like that deserves a tip of the hat. :thu:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Great news:

Dr. John Knew the End Was Near. He Recorded One Final Album (Rolling Stone)

New originals, country-tinged covers and reworked classics highlight deceased Hall of Famers final, as-yet-unreleased album featuring Willie Nelson, Aaron Neville and Rickie Lee Jones, produced by Shane Theriot

Great news:

Dr. John Knew the End Was Near. He Recorded One Final Album (Rolling Stone)

New originals, country-tinged covers and reworked classics highlight deceased Hall of Famers final, as-yet-unreleased album featuring Willie Nelson, Aaron Neville and Rickie Lee Jones, produced by Shane Theriot

That is great news. I personally can never listen to these more than once. Johnny Cash, Warren Zevon, David Bowie...it's too heavy for me. The remix of "Can't Give Everything Away" alone requires the rest of the day off.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I can't wait until it's released. With streaming music I haven't bought an entire album in some time. I will make an exception here. I will probably buy it in both digital and vinyl. I am a huge fan of his playing.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Mr. Paxton practically giving a master class on the good Dr. John for a tribute on WWOZ. :thu:

https://www.facebook.com/wwozneworleans/videos/926140141073185/

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

stumbled upon this tonight. best 50 minutes I spent all day :)

If you don't have 50 minutes check out "Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby" with BB King at the 37 minute mark. :thu:

Glen Campbell also in Paul Schaeffer's band that night, only visible at the very end of the shoot after the song had finished. :cool:

[video:youtube]

:nopity:

I revisit this track every few months to keep my soul in check. Revisited it today, so I had to drop the link. He was the man.

Great track, I've spent many an hour studying it and trying to play an adapted (to my much more limited skills) version of it. I'm not a good New Orleans style pianist, but what I can do is at least 50% owing to trying to copy almost everything on this album. Another 48% belongs to James Booker. The final 2% is from stumbling around the French Quarter trying to absorb the history and culture. Doesn't enhance your keyboard skills so much, but sure is fun.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

RIP

I was lucky and found the homespun tapes and videos I think in the late 80s.

I loved them, though I never mastered the harder stuff......yet!

He started with what he learned first: Texas Boogie. Even I could play that after 30mins. The sets came with sheet music, which is how I made sense of the lessons. He was a direct link to ragtime and the whole New Orleans keyboard tradition. I loved to hear him talk about it, and how various players influenced the tradition.

Thank you for everything MAC.

Lately I've been hearing alot of Fats Waller, and working on some of his songs. MAC seemed to jump the rootless cool jazz world and spring straight from the old days....when men were men!! And Mary Lou Williams kept them honest, LOL I like Bill Evans of course, but it's another sort of music altogether, and has obscured alot of great music. Who dances to Bill Evans?

Last night I was collecting Shirley Scott albums which are littered all over youtube. What a loss (it was quite a while ago.) She was another huge influence, but unlike MAC, largely overlooked. That can't last, because her work is out there. 40 albums as leader, I think. Something crazy like that. Shirley's Hammond is so fresh, so timeless.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

• 2 weeks later...

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI