Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Should there be a "World Series " match for bands/musicians?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No.

Isn't there a favorite soccer or rugby team in your country ?

I seem to recall there is some contest to be worlds best

;)

I love competitive sport and am a football coach.

The question, as I understood it, was about music.

Yes, I realize our music passion is serious business and ' self striving " . And many apparently, feel no competitive push is necessary

However, when hanging with a keyboardist that is skillful and motivated, don't you feel a tiny bit of a nudge to try harder ?

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

But what about best keyboard of all time ? ? ?
Easy: Atlantic City, NJ, USA.

http://www.airnetworking.codwalk.jpg

that settles it. I am moving there ;)

[70's Songwriter]

I assume most other cities have the annual readers poll? For us it's the Riverfront times. It's fun to see who manages to get what. Not usually worth anything other than in you advertising you can put something like "voted best cover band of 2018".

It is common for people to win those things by default because if there is any competition they do not get included for a variety of reasons. I have seen "Voted Best..." and thought most people do not pay attention and care to cast a vote. It is probably possible to win with one vote.

I believe the matter has already been settled. A *truly* mind-blowing piece appeared not too long ago in the NYTimes that declared Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles to be demonstrably the best, far better than today's music. Because, like, compression. :P

When it comes to music I think I'd much prefer to see a World's Fair over a World Series. ;)

I assume most other cities have the annual readers poll? For us it's the Riverfront times. It's fun to see who manages to get what. Not usually worth anything other than in you advertising you can put something like "voted best cover band of 2018".

Hoo boy, do people ever make hay about that around these parts! I play with one group on a very part time basis that won "Best band" 2 years running (AKA, they have a TON of friends).....thing is, they actually BUY their own hype, while at the same time can't play their way out of a wet paper bag....big heads and no talent is a pungent combination....

Yes, I realize our music passion is serious business and ' self striving " . And many apparently, feel no competitive push is necessary

However, when hanging with a keyboardist that is skillful and motivated, don't you feel a tiny bit of a nudge to try harder ?

I am constantly inspired by so many musicians whose skill and talent far exceeds my own, including the majority of participants in this forum.

The world of business is inherently competitive in nature. The music business is no exception.

The above considered, I still fail to see any value in a competition over who is the best.

I am constantly inspired by so many musicians whose skill and talent far exceeds my own, including the majority of participants in this forum.

The world of business is inherently competitive in nature. The music business is no exception.

The above considered, I still fail to see any value in a competition over who is the best.

I think the diff here is that I am not being 100% literal. The O/p was bordering on the silly to make a slight point. But I can read its being taken 100% literal.

I have an active funny bone. I noticed that topics are mostly serious.

I use silly exaggeration. To shake it up. Hair Splitting is not my gift to man kind.

I was taking the " Who is better , Billy Joel or Elton " query and going way over the top with my O/P. My O/P is along the lines of " Think Big or Go Home ".

I am aware, there won't be a Roman Death Match or a "world Series " to determine the worlds best keyboard player. Another exaggeration.

Good luck on all your endeavors.

[70's Songwriter]

I think it's possible to take a more benign view of all this. Most people love competition -- arguably it's in our genes to compete. Staging a music event as a "competition" therefore generates a gene-driven excitement and attention that might otherwise not exist. Those people who pay attention, who might otherwise not have, hopefully end up having expansive moments in which they realize that any good feelings associated with music are, in some sense, equally valid. The equation of a music event with sport is therefore a thinly-veiled bait-and-switch played out over and over in countless venues, on countless programs, all for the ultimate purpose of enriching more souls through the magic of music.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Staging a music event as a "competition" therefore generates a gene-driven excitement and attention that might otherwise not exist.

"Always resist the temptation to turn music into a pissing contest" ;)

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Staging a music event as a "competition" therefore generates a gene-driven excitement and attention that might otherwise not exist.

"Always resist the temptation to turn music into a pissing contest" ;)

I appreciate you keeping me honest! I was playing devil's advocate. I'm not sure I buy it myself, but I think you can make the argument.

I understand the theory behind classical music competitions, because the boundaries are narrowly drawn enough (you can't add or subtract notes) to allow a more objective comparison. And everyone knows that "battle of the bands" contests are just about who can bring in and hype up the crowd. It's jazz competitions that puzzle me the most, but then I don't have any direct experience in that world. I could participate as water boy, but that's about it.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64