Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Trends in Live Music Venues

A friend of mine who is a musician and booking agent posted this on Facebook:

Theres a new trend happening in NYC, as a recent new club called Gateway is packing crowds every weekend. The catch? Its a sober bar, serving up herbal concoctions and other non alcoholic brews. This trend is also breaking loose in Silicon Valley, once known for its excesses rather than health kicks and sobriety. Its the new cool, as alcohol companies (especially beer makers) continue to see there sale plunge due to millennials higher interest in healthy living, and making experiences rather than lapses in memory.

I'm just curious if some of you have seen this trend and/or have any predictions?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not in the dirt floor dive bars I play in ... I dont think i play anything that one of those millennial herbal potion bars would want to hear.
The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Yeah it's starting to be a thing.

As far as music preferences, the quieter, acoustic and intricate stuff will probably play well. Don't think the dude at the back will be shouting "FREEBIRD!".

The retiree clubs I'm playing are pretty close. Most don't drink. They are there for a night of fun music, a bit of dancing, and home early. Well, huge difference in age and musical genres.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Its one thing to abstain from alchohol because your liver is shot and your a recovering alchoholic, but to not drink because youre a health nut...thats just SICK. That attitude will ruin live music as we know it.
They said the same thing after banning smoking in public places, including bars and restaurants

Its one thing to abstain from alchohol because your liver is shot and your a recovering alchoholic, but to not drink because youre a health nut...thats just SICK. That attitude will ruin live music as we know it.
They said the same thing after banning smoking in public places, including bars and restaurants

All the bars i play still have smoking. Its just on the back patio. Alot of weed getting smoked back there too.

FunMachine.

Smacks of a fad, but who knows... Alcohol lowers inhibitions, something of potential utility in a bar/nightclub situation where often an expressed interest is meeting/hooking up with someone.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Smacks of a fad, but who knows... Alcohol lowers inhibitions, something of potential utility in a bar/nightclub situation where often an expressed interest is meeting/hooking up with someone.

Me too. Reminds me of the huka pipe bars, the compressed gas bars, the fondu bars, etc., that popped up in the last 20 yrs and then quietly seem to havre disappeared. Cigar bars too for that matter.

Alcohol is forever.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I think the younger generation goes online to hookup. They don't need alcohol, drugs (and even live music) as much because they can just swipe left/right on Tinder. By the time they are on a date, they've bypassed the a lot of the need for those things.

The times have really changed ... I almost don't recognize this new world anymore.

This happened in NYC once before in the late 70's and early 80's were dancing was the main thing and non-alcoholic fruit juices were served only but LSD and Masculine were regularly taken buy the clientele and no alcohol was served. Sort of the beginning of the Rave phase for older hippies and hipsters. I had a Viet Nam Vet friend who went to them who was a NYC hipster for sure... he described it exactly as I just mentioned it. So the 'fruit juice only' part is nothing new but the 'pure sobriety' bit is.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

From a patron's perspective, it's good to have choices. Give the people what they want.

As a musician, in the example of playing for a crowd that doesn't drink, but wants to mingle and have a good time then leave early... I've played those gigs. No problem.

In the other examples where drinking and smoking and dancing and meeting new people is happening... I've played those gigs too. Good times.

If bars that serve drinks with no alcohol is a trend, I've got no problem with that.

At the end of a long day, we're going to visit the places that suit us the best. Variety is a wonderful thing. That's why pub crawls exist. :cheers:

We're not all made from the same mold...

Thank God. :cool:

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

If bars that serve drinks with no alcohol is a trend, I've got no problem with that.

Natch, but I've never been in a club/bar where you HAD to drink alcohol. It seems like a place that mandated no alcohol as a doctrine would be a pretty stuffy place.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Only trend at the bar area restaurant I play is it's packed at happy hour. Then deserted right after as the prices go up.

Places really overcharge for beer. I can see aged boose costing more, but it only takes a week or 2 to make beer. That to me is the real reason people are drinking less beer. If entertainment is offered I have no problem with the price, but most places only have a TV.

So basically its a coffee house, but with herbal teas. Better practice your Jack Johnson and buy an acoustic guitar. The next "new' thing will be weed bars and opium dens.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

My daughter works at a 'Juice Bar' its owned by the Yoga Studio next door. She says the only patrons are from the yoga studio because they get a discount. The normal price of the juice concoctions are twice that of Tropical Smoothie down the street and they serve food too. My daughter also said that they are making no profit.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Yep, in Crown Point, Indiana, I can tell you that unhealthy living is alive and well, and craft breweries are exploding (figuratively). Maybe it's a trend on both coasts, because I haven't run across any dry venues in Chicago, either.

"For instance" is not proof.

Relax y'all, it's a big city niche that journalists like to write about for clicks. Not coming near your bar gigs anytime soon.

Pretty much where I'm at with this too. Alcohol is just too much of an attractor, and has been for millennia.

I will say this though. When I was young I thought we smoked a lot of weed, but we had nothing on what's happening today! Now that marijuana is legal (at least round here) there is a lot more open smoking going on - usually in combination with alcohol - which seems to cut down on overall alcohol consumption for the night.

A club I work at has a weed smoking area thats quite popular.

The owner claims this makes people drink more, he showed me a chart on alcohol sales since the section opened up.

All I know is its got a great FOH and Video crew, awesome Monolith Array and a dozen Dual 18s under the stage, killer GoGo dancers with their own platforms, etc.

Id say the Club Owner caters to everyone.

Im a big fan of sexy dancers, could care less about the weed or booze.

Im so straight these days I have to lay down just to take a shit.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic