Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stage Piano Choices

Greetings

I have dabbled in keyboards forever. I have decided to take piano lessons to learn proper technique, form and theory.

I practice on my pc361, but then struggle when I jump on an upright for my lessons.

Looking for a hammer action to add to my arsenal that is close to a true mechanical. I am looking for something compact, and maybe with built in speakers. I have put my hands on the p125 and cp88. Interested in other options up to maybe $2k us. I will be heading to gearfest to hopefully see a few more options.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Topic has come up a lot lately.

Thankfully there are many options in the sub $2k area.

Play the Casio PX-S1000, S3000 as well as the 360, 560.

Kawai ES-110 and ES-8

Yamaha P-515

The ES8 or P-515 would be my pick within your budget.

The Casios and ES-110 you should play to see if good enough at a lower price point.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Topic has come up a lot lately.

Thankfully there are many options in the sub $2k area.

Play the Casio PX-S1000, S3000 as well as the 360, 560.

Kawai ES-110 and ES-8

Yamaha P-515

The ES8 or P-515 would be my pick within your budget.

The Casios and ES-110 you should play to see if good enough at a lower price point.

I think that Elmer's excellent advice is spot on here! The Kawai ES8 and Yamaha P-515 are both excellent choices as practice pianos, home pianos and the Kawai is even occasionally giggable with the appropriate case and would mate well with your PC361 as well.

Since you are going to Gearfest 2019 at Sweetwater in two weeks I think that is an excellent venue for trying a variety of options. And Sweetwater has recently lowered the price of the ES 8 and the ES-110 as well!

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

+1 for the ES-110, I really enjoy mine. To my ears it has a warm organic tone, a nice contrast to the Yamahas I have always used, it reminds me of the Kawai studio uprights from my college days. It's inspiring to play and the built-in rhythms are fun. Mostly used for solo although on band gigs it has been a controller for Nord Electro 5d pianos. My favorite low-budget hammer action although I wouldn't mind if it were a tad heavier.

The difference between your unweighted Kurzweil and any weighted keyboard will be vastly greater than the difference between these various choice. In other words, the upgrade will be huge no matter what you pick.

For realistic action with internal speakers, I like both the P515 and the Roland FP90. I prefer the Roland action but the Yamaha engine. Neither are particularly compact. Depending on how important compactness is, could also consider the Dexibel P3 and Yamaha P121. Hard to beat the P121 bang for buck.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I tried the CP 88, and liked it, but not enough to give up my CP 4. You may find a deal on one. I find it to have a light action.

Hi Michael, that's interesting you say that since the CP-88 has the same NWX keybed as the P515, which I own.

I also used to own a CP4 and oddly I've found the keybed seemed to give my fingers a better workout than the P515. I was surprised at this since the NWX is supposed to be the better action. But yes - it is light.

When I go from the P515 to an acoustic I find i'm lacking in finger strength, which I never had with a CP4.

I think the 515 is a great buy overall, with the speakers and CFX sample which I DO think sounds better than the CP4 - but I do wish the touch was a tad heavier.

Hi Marillo

I was just thinking that the OP was considering the CP 88 which I did not find to be a CP 4 killer. A used CP 4 might be an idea. I do most practice on a VCP 1, and then find the CP 4 quite light. I havent had a chance to play the 515 yet.

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

Here in town the shop has the P-515 beside a CP-300. I've played them both side by side and I prefer the old trusty standby .... CP300. I wouldn't want to carry one.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I'm still baffled as to why Yamaha discontinued the CP4.

They all need to refresh to maintain sales as competitors include new features. In Yamahas case with the CP88 - they desire a bite of Nords market with those that prefer that style of interface.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I'm still baffled as to why Yamaha discontinued the CP4.

Because they want to sell the CP88?

Yes, of course you are right. I keep forgetting about the CP88 because it's got such a more complicated control surface than previous Yammy stage pianos.