Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to Tolerate country fiddle, banjo, and steel guitar?

These instruments just aren't my cup of tea. Add an accordion to the list and I'll run out of the room screaming.

Glad to hear it -- You never know when I might want to get rid of you. :poke:

Of course, there are people who say the same about keytars.

Seriously, though, I've come across phenomenally skilled and entertaining examples of all of those instruments. Conversely I have encountered bad (not the positive slang term) keyboard, bass, drum, and guitar playing that taxed my ability to keep a poker face for the sake of politeness.

• Like 1

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

It takes all kinds. There are some awesome fiddle, banjo, and pedal steel players. Bluegrass banjo is especially impressive to me. Human arpeggiators.

Good to hear you like bagpipes.

My drummer's main gig is with bagpipe band Off Kilter. Their kitsch is Celtic flavored rock covers and originals. They do several annual outdoor gatherings here in Central Florida.

It takes all kinds.

• Like 1

I noticed harmonica wasn't in your list either. One of the best players in our local scene, Carol, brings hers along to jam nights where she'll astound the audience with her solos then go right back to lead vocals.

We've also got a hippy, tiedye wearing, trombonist on the scene who channels Jim Morrison while blatting out a rock solo. Super entertaining guest musician, but yucky part is he drains his spit valve often, right on stage, during his overly long and showy solos.

It takes all kinds.

I think it's all about the awareness of their players to make them work in context. I have seen several harmonica players hang out hoping to get on stage at a rock jam, and then when they get to play they forget to leave musical space for the singer. The result is that the other players don't want to let the harmonica player back on stage again.

My favorite examples of violin playing in rock/pop are whoever played violin or viola on Van Morrison's "Into The Music" LP, and Boyd Tinsley.

You do realize this is a parody thread, right? :laugh:

I really enjoy Celtic music, and Mr. Scott plays a mean bagpipe.

[video:youtube]

But in all seriousness, the accordion reminds me of Lawrence Welk... and high school talent shows. :sick:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

For me, the intolerable part is that it's country. The instruments are fine on their own. In fact, I quite like some violin in a rock song....

[video:youtube]wcICuFnkxe4

[video:youtube]l5BqpvcWuyo

[video:youtube]o-R8gHj_7v8

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

These instruments just aren't my cup of tea. Add an accordion to the list and I'll run out of the room screaming.

Anyone else? :laugh:

I {{{Heart}}} Sitar

and where the heck is the sitar and tambora forum ???

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

HECK.

Not a country guy myself, but I played in a lot of bluegrass and Old Time circles. Played trad Irish/new-england dance band music for years in the roots scene. I grew to really appreciate a lot of it. Modern Country has become a complete wasteland, frankly a lot of it is self-congratulatory propaganda of a particular lifestyle, which disgusts me (I also feel the same way about Punk, though completely different lifestyle). The rest of the roots scene, on the other hand, couldn't be further away, and most bluegrass players I've played with HATE HATE HATE country. In fact, old school country players hate modern country, it gets very personal.

Anyway, I played with many banjo players, dozens of fiddle players (many of them great). I used to be the accompanist for fiddle teacher, and it was a hoot! I'd do it all again too. I've heard some good accordion, I even have and play one myself (I'm terrible), but there's a lot of terrible accordion players out there like me, so watch out!

I should mention probably one of my favorite jam sessions of all time was in a Saloon back in my room town of Fairbanks, Alaska, there was gnarly out-of-tune upright, and a bunch of old bluegrass musicians got together after a folk fest. SO MUCH FUN! There's almost nothing better than a good bluegrass or old time jam.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Anyone else? :laugh:

To each his or her own, but I suspect you might feel differently if you heard a little Stuart Duncan or Mark OConnor. Stuart besides killing at Country & Bluegrass, is currently in Diana Kralls band. And at the moment Im actually listening to OConnor with Yo Yo Ma. These are world class musicians who happen to play an instrument youve probably heard butchered more often. Same for Paul Franklin or the late Buddy Edmond on Steel. Id put either up next to any Jazz musicians on the planet.

Banjo??? Im kinda with you on that one 😃

• Like 1

fiddle, banjo, and steel guitar

pedal steel

harmonica

trombonist

bagpipe.

sitar and tamboura

gnarly out-of-tune upright

accordion

Umm, guys, I haven't seen anything on this thread so far that I don't like. :laugh: (Well, depends how bad that upright is - I've played one that's two steps out of tune [C=Bb) but still was in tune with itself.)

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Having an accordion in the band, is the new not-having-an-accordion-in-the-band.

That does indeed seem to be the case.

I'm all for it. If someone can find new, creative ways of including it in music other than the old stuff (which is fine btw) then I'm all for it. I personally like using a wet-tuned two-middle-reed register through a delay unit on certain funky songs. Hey, it fits.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

But in all seriousness, the accordion reminds me of Lawrence Welk... and high school talent shows. :sick:

:o:laugh:

I'm <25 and love the accordion. My second instrument in fact. I also happen to like Lawrence Welk. Myron Floren played better than Mr. Welk himself though. :laugh:

Uniformly out of tune is just boring and difficult to work with. Slightly out of tune with itself is just awesome, natural chorus, character, whatever.

Oh, I forgot about the time that my band did a stint with a local chorus doing old mining songs, up in the university concert hall. I asked the stage manager to accompany me to the practice rooms and help me pluck out the most "colorful" piano they could find. it was about 100ft from the hall and on wheels, so this was an easy undertaking. So much fun, turning a symphony concert hall into a 1890s wild west saloon!

Here's one of the originals we played that night:

[video:youtube]

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I got paid good money to lay down some bass on a country album last weekend, and will return for more related studio work this summer.

And yes, there will be some fiddle playing -- I've even recommended the player (and have a jazz gig with him tomorrow).

It takes all kinds.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I'm <25 and love the accordion. My second instrument in fact. I also happen to like Lawrence Welk. Myron Floren played better than Mr. Welk himself though. :laugh:
Fun fact: Welk originally led his band from the accordion; During a gig, Welk saw Floren in the audience and asked his colleague if he (MF) would like to play his signature piece, Lady of Spain. Floren obliged, and at the end of the gig Welk hired him, because Welk wanted the band to be the best it could be. Gosh, I wish I were that egoless.

-Tom Williams

RE accordion, I subbed a few shows with country- Cajun artist Jo El Sonnier some years and that changed my perception of that instrument. His button accordian sounded massive through a big sound system and the music was really driving (Tear Stained Letter!). Before I moved south I associated accordion with Lawrence Welk, like most.

If someone really wanted to "tolerate" banjo and steel- and mandolin- I would direct them to Ricky Skagg's "Highway 40 Blues".

I'm okay with the instruments. It might be that the examples of the style they are often associated that become boring.

Banjo - the first Bela Fleck I heard was Chick Corea's "Spain".

Pedal Steel - the first version of Sonny Rollins' "Oleo" I heard was on a Buddy Emmons album.

Accordian - not a fan of Myron Floren. I do like some Cajun though.

And for more fun, there is always parody blue grass.

RE accordion, I subbed a few shows with country- Cajun artist Jo El Sonnier some years and that changed my perception of that instrument. His button accordian sounded massive through a big sound system and the music was really driving (Tear Stained Letter!). Before I moved south I associated accordion with Lawrence Welk, like most.

If someone really wanted to "tolerate" banjo and steel- and mandolin- I would direct them to Ricky Skagg's "Highway 40 Blues".

Wow--I played for Jo-El for a couple of years in the late 90s. What you say is true. His accordions sounded fantastic through a sound system. A truly lovely gentleman. And on a traditional accordion, there are few better than Joey "The Cow Polka King" Miskulin. I had the honor of listening to him warm up backstage before a Grand 'Ole Opry performance. Jaw-dropping be-bop. Absolutely astounding.

So once again, it's the craftsman not the tools.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

There's a lot of butt shakin' accordion in Zydeco:

Agree about Ricky Skaggs... He's very accomplished and soulful whether he picks guitar, mandolin, banjo, or plays fiddle. It's the player not the instrument.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Regardless of the instrument, I am the audience you want at your gig. Just play in open air outdoors and it makes me smile. If I heard the same thing on the radio I might turn it off in a fraction of a split second. Open air is very forgiving of bad sound systems too.

yeah, my uncle used to be a middle school teacher, and plays a mean banjo.
I had a guy walk up to me between sets and say "You play a mean keyboard, kid!" I was elated until I learned he was a statistician.
  • Haha 1

-Tom Williams

I had a guy walk up to me between sets and say "You play a mean keyboard, kid!" I was elated until I learned he was a statistician.

:laugh::facepalm:

Now that's my type of constructed bad joke. Bravo.

If you like accordion, check these music genres out

Forró

Baião

Sertanejo

Other Brazilian music genres

Tejano

Zydeco

Cumbia (Colombian and Mexican, though many bands use Korg M1s in Mexico for this purpose)

Melayu Deli (nowadays a lot of synthesizer accordion, check out the more traditional stuff which also has violin and has live accordion).

1900s-1940s music has a lot of accordion in it. They were a common instrument in ragtime and minstrel music, as well as the popular genres of the day.

Norteño

South African Sotho music (Tao Ea Matsekha)

And many more genres.

Also, banjos are not only a bluegrass thing, used by Irish bands as well.

Fiddle works in all sorts of genres.

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.