Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just got a Motion Sound KP-612S

This is by far the finest sound ever heard through a keyboard amp (by me). Im playing a Nord Stage Classic through it. My gig board is a Nord Stage 3. Cant wait to hear that through it. Acoustic piano just sparkles and electric pianos are deep and fat as is organ. My previous amp was a MS KP-500SN and even though its advertised as the same wattage (250/channel) the 612 pushes a ton more volume! I love the 500, but this is in a different league! The only issue Ive had is that when I turn up the stereo expand, it started to buzz (used for organ). I think Ive found a solution, to turn up output on Nord and down on the organ channel. Never encountered that on the 500. I think this is the answer for those, like me, whod rather not bring a pair of powered speakers to every gig. Pricey at 1499 as well, but I think will do wonders for my tone and cut.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how does the tone compare with the 500 ? i had one briefly , just couldn't dial in a midrange i liked .

I've played it side by side with the 500. A much rounder sound. Dialed in the midrange just to my liking in 20 sec (different on each channel since I send organ through Vent to one channel and pianos to the other).

Excellent and congrats! I see that the spec says its 43 lbs., but Ive heard Motion Sounds specs might not be accurate. Can you confirm the actual weight? Thanks

I saw the weight listed at 49lbs, and it feels like it. Not bad at all for what it is. Comes with removable casters.

how does the tone compare with the 500 ?

I've played it side by side with the 500. A much rounder sound.

I like that description. I have no idea what it means, but I like it. :)

Much more accurate than "better". :cool:

:nopity:

I like that description. I have no idea what it means, but I like it.

Which reminds me: next time I hear a guitarist call an amp "creamy" I will probably resort to violence.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

how does the tone compare with the 500 ? i had one briefly , just couldn't dial in a midrange i liked .

I've played it side by side with the 500. A much rounder sound. Dialed in the midrange just to my liking in 20 sec (different on each channel since I send organ through Vent to one channel and pianos to the other).

I am assuming (and hoping) that you are saying that the 612 S has the rounder sound?

Does the 612 S have the rear ports to help spread the sound around, which are unfortunately missing on the 408S?

Cheers.

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

I am assuming (and hoping) that you are saying that the 612 S has the rounder sound?

Does the 612 S have the rear ports to help spread the sound around, which are unfortunately missing on the 408S?

Cheers. [/quote

Yes, its the 612 with the rounder sound.

The ports on the 612 are no longer on the back, but on the front (I guess under the grill). I assume that to be the case with the other two new amps as well. I was speaking to Jeff at MS and he was saying that helps to provide the in your face sound it has. I agree, except I, too, liked the rear ports on the 500 to allow a bit of sound to be projected behind the amp for, perhaps, the drummer.

I see what you did there, Dave :laugh:

Here for the gear.

I see what you did there, Dave :laugh:

So who's the 'rounder' piano player, Elton John or Billy Joel???

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Excellent and congrats! I see that the spec says its 43 lbs., but Ive heard Motion Sounds specs might not be accurate. Can you confirm the actual weight? Thanks

I saw the weight listed at 49lbs, and it feels like it. Not bad at all for what it is. Comes with removable casters.

Sorry my mistake. I was looking at the weight of the 610.

WTH !!!!

Instant gratification caused me to recently get the KP-500SN (and I really like the sound). Is it that much better than I need to sell the 500S and get the 612S ???

Please advise. Mike

My Rig: Stage Piano: Korg Grandstage 73 - Organ: Hammond SKx - Amps: Motion Sound KP-500s - Mixer: Yamaha MGU10

"..Is it that much better.."

Please advise. Mike

Hmmm, what have we learned from the recent Elton John/Bill Joel thread. You can't measure better because the opinions are all subjective. The question itself was dismissed as being 'absurd'. Whoever invented or even uses the word better shall be banished from civilization.

Are you seriously asking which one of the two is ..... better? Seriously, you're asking us which speaker is BETTER???

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

"..Is it that much better.."

Please advise. Mike

Hmmm, what have we learned from the recent Elton John/Bill Joel thread. You can't measure better because the opinions are all subjective. The question itself was dismissed as being 'absurd'. Whoever invented or even uses the word better shall be banished from civilization.

Are you seriously asking which one of the two is ..... better? Seriously, you're asking us which speaker is BETTER???

uh, pretty sure we learned in that thread that Elton >>> Billy. Yup - seemed conclusive to me :)
The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Okay Deleware Dave. You got me on the "better" comment.

I think a more appropriate question would be is the 612s a sonic upgrade from the 500s?

Mike

My Rig: Stage Piano: Korg Grandstage 73 - Organ: Hammond SKx - Amps: Motion Sound KP-500s - Mixer: Yamaha MGU10

I don't really get this offering from MS, it looks like a more powerful 500S? same size and weight, but the 500S can shake the walls, I've never needed the volume above 5. And they removed the rear sound ports as well, strange.

And I seriously doubt they've improved the sound quality in any measurable way, the 500S sounds great.

Well, the only way you can tell is to hear it. As I said, I had them both side by side and at the same volume, the difference in tone was considerable in both clarity and sonic spectrum as well as depth. Otherwise Id have sent it back. It cost too much money to have an amp just marginally better than the one I have.

Well, the only way you can tell is to hear it. As I said, I had them both side by side and at the same volume, the difference in tone was considerable in both clarity and sonic spectrum as well as depth. Otherwise Id have sent it back. It cost too much money to have an amp just marginally better than the one I have.

Not sure what the differences are between the older KP500SN and the newer KP500S. Anyway, my KP500S sounds just perfect and round ;-) to my ears. And its much louder than Ill ever need.

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

I don't really get this offering from MS, it looks like a more powerful 500S? same size and weight, but the 500S can shake the walls, I've never needed the volume above 5. And they removed the rear sound ports as well, strange.

And I seriously doubt they've improved the sound quality in any measurable way, the 500S sounds great.

From what I understand, one of the big updates is in the crossover.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com