Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Have you had electric shocks?

Lets all hear your experience of electric shocks. The biggest, the ones that you left your brain at home and it shouldnt have happened. Hopefully itll end up like that scene from Jaws where we all show our scars.

My latest one (and Ive always been careful before) was plugging in the motors on my 122 and I managed to get my finger between the pin and amp chassis as I was attempting to push it in. So that was 110V. Thankfully I only had one hand on it so nothing really happened.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The ECT has helped me a lot, or so says my therapist.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

My cardiologist is suggesting an electric shock for my A-fib, in a few months.

But accidental shocks are bad news. Must be avoided

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I got tagged a few times with lips touching a mic waaaaaaaaaaay back in the day.....nothing like that in decades though....

I touched my 'lectric guitar

to the mic stand in the rain

And Lord I felt your power

like I never will again.

~ "Big Amp In The Sky," Funzone

ECT is too pricey, so I just jam a fork in the toaster when I'm feeling low. Side benefit: hides the grey in my hair by toasting it.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

I have had the full 220V experience a few times. Not recommended. Not that 110V is any better.

I thought 220V was much more dangerous/deadly than 110-

I've switched out outlets, lights, etc. without switching off electricity beforehand. Needless to say, after a few shocking moments, I'm not quite so lazy!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Yes, replacing a socket at my Grans, didn't realise that one of the sockets in the dining room was fed from the kitchen and as such is on a different fuse box.

Didn't hurt or anything, could just feel there was something there surprising as it 230~ volts over here.

Stuff: Roland:SH-201/U-110/S-330/TR-626/M-48 Akai: miniAK/S6000 Yamaha:DX9/HS8/xs7 Korg:05R/W/AX10G Alesis: Vortex MK1 CME: UF70 classic V2/WIDI Behringer: DSP2024Px2/UMC204HD/101/340/D/03/8 ESI:1010e

Every few minutes for the past 3 years. I have post herpetic neuralgia. It drives some people crazy

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Me and my brother used to stick our finger in the fridge water dispenser light socket when we were around 4 years old.

I got zapped once when working on a stage light. The fader was down, so I assumed it was off, but apparently the voltage is still there, just not the amps. I was examining a wire that detached from the bulb plug, or maybe the can shocked me. Anyway there was a bare wire, and I was I think on the 3rd level of a scaffolding. It was the first time we ever used the upper guard rails too, so lucky me.

The worst shock I got was from a disposable camera flash circuit. I feared death. I got zapped from one hand to the other accross the chest. I've heard of people getting temporarily paralyzed from those, their muscles get depolarized and it take several minutes to hours to rebalance and work again. Luckily that didn't happen to me, but I was wore out.

...where we all show our scars.

I have a literal scar on my fingertip from a third degree burn I received when some nitwit turned on a piece of equipment when I had my hand inside. He thought it was hilarious. I did not.

I let him live. I didn't think I could convince anyone that it was justifiable homicide.

Other than that, I've been shocked by voltages ranging from 9V (I routinely test 9V batteries by touching them to my tongue--with a little practice you can even estimate how much life they've got in 'em) up to thousands. I do electronics as a hobby and as a consequence am exposed to more opportunities to get the everlivin' shit knocked out of me than the average person.

You want to mess with circuits, sooner or later you're going to get tingled. It ain't fun, but it goes with the territory.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

I too mess with high voltage for fun/hobby. Recently I powered a neon sign transformer with one D cell battery, and when timing the connection properly, it would put out nearly 40kv with 1vDC in instead of 15kV with 120vAC

I have a plasma ball I like which I must assume is an uncommon one due to the thinness of the glass, and high ability to transfer energy through the glass. I'm betting it's some chinese model that never had to pass safety tests. I enjoy it though, and it will burn you.

I got a really bad one before a duo gig in the 90s. It was an outdoor summer gig in a small town on the coast, and there were a lot of tourist shops, food places, etc, which were built under big tents on the seaside. So after soundcheck, my bassist partner and I entered a bar to relax a bit and have a drink. I asked for something, and I was told to take it myself from a big fridge... well, it turned out that there was a very small water puddle right in front of that fridge, *and* I was not wearing isolating shoes (shame on me... it was extremely hot), *and* for some reason there was some horrid current leakage from the fridge.

I was told later that it was probably industrial-grade voltage, 480v. What I knew then was that I stepped toward the fridge, placing one of my feet slightly on the very small puddle (which I had not even noticed). Then I grabbed the handle to open the fridge, and felt like a big explosion in my head. It was so, well, shocking that I didn't feel the pain until a few seconds later. Luckily, the bassist recognized instantly what was going on and gave me a strong push to remove me from the electrical loop.

I could have sued them or reported to the police, but I had a gig to play, and when we finished playing at late night, the place was closed, and we had to travel a couple of hours to return home... however, I can't help thinking that without the fast reflexes of my friend, I could have suffered some permanent damage, or worse.

For sure, it was the worst physical shock I ever suffered, electrical or otherwise. My bassist joked about it on the way home, saying that I had played faster than usual... :D:freak:

When I was a boy my older brother found a frayed power cord that my father had removed from a drill. He convinced me to hold onto the frayed end while he pushed the plug into the outlet. I remember the feeling of being hit with a sheet of half inch plywood and seeing the colors black and red... :freak:

Hmm. Me and shocks are old buddies. I've been zapped by 110V many times over the years.

I've been shocked by an electric fence. Touching it with your hand is bad enough, but did you know urine conducts electricity?

I lick 9V batteries regularly - that's my battery test.

Moe

---

Licking 9v is fine, but at around 12v it starts to affect vision

I strung together 9 9v batteries (they just snap into a chain) and could barely feel it when touching with my fingers. I've also strung together as many as I could find once and measured 210v. I didn't try touching that.

I seem to have a sensitivity to alternating current. When the humidity (or something...) is right I can sometimes touch a laptop computer and know if it is on the charger or not.

My dad was an electrical engineer / hobbyist, and so as a kid I grounded him out a couple of times, to both our discomfort.

Yes to mic shocks, though never beyond a small sting.

Finally, my big electrical adventure: In the late 1970s, I was building a speaker box (with no actual carpentry experience) and using my dad's 1950s-era handheld circular saw: all-metal construction, two conductor AC cord, metal frame on the neutral lead. USA, so between 110 and 120 VAC.

I was outside.

The ground was moist.

I was an idiot.

I grounded out, and the current which went through my right arm, through the torso, and down to my foot, was just enough to freeze the muscles gripping the saw, including the on-off trigger. However, other muscles in the current path started jerking around like a caffeinated marionette. Eventually that latter motion flung the still-running circular saw loose. Miraculously, I retained my heartbeat and my fingers.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Some grim stories! But at least your able to relay them, some dont get that luxury.

My father (an old audio electrical engineer starting out in the late 50s) just laughed at me and said I got a tickle. Hes had upto 700v and been blown across the room in his youth when him and his brother were into amateur radio homebrew amps. Its amazing Im here at all really.

A couple times by accident.

I have been told that you might get a scar in your heart wall (not sure about the correct word in English).

Last time was a funny one. My 3 year old grandson was playing and yelling at the piano, so I grabbed a electric mosquito swapper and was playing air guitar when I was touching the strings. Ouch ........

I dont want to be a fly in my next life :crazy:

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

I build and repair tube amps from time to time and have been lucky so far, one hand in the pocket and all that. However, when I was young I was swimming in a friend's pools that had a leaky underwater 115VAC lamp. Someone turned it while I was treading water nearby. That was interesting.

1. Photographic enlarger - I added a switch to control the exposure time but the screws attaching the wires together were also on the outside of the switch that I picked up and pressed with my finger - my thumb touching the screws!

2. Electric fence - out walking on a drizzly day in the country. didn't realise that the wire fences were electrified! Could have been worse - I know people who have urinated, whilst walking in the country, directly onto the wire of an electric fence, not something you do twice!!

3. I was using a keyboard (Roland RD 250s) with a sound module (Roland U110?) and a Jazz chorus amp (also Roland as it happens). When I used the module there was a lot of mains hum. On a gig a "sound engineer" suggested that to get rid of the hum that I disconnected the earth in one of the mains plugs - this worked fine and I was hum free for many gigs. Then one time I had to move location and instead of switching off the mains I pulled out one of the audio cables; the "engineer" had forgotten to mention that the whole setup was being earthed through the audio cables! - got a shock but luckily not of the electric variety and still live to tell the tale.

Yes, and my lip wasn't even touching the mic! A notorious club in Vacaville CA.

I misinterpreted the headline at first and thought it was about electric shock therapy. Let's not go down that path...

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

When I was a boy my older brother found a frayed power cord that my father had removed from a drill. He convinced me to hold onto the frayed end while he pushed the plug into the outlet. I remember the feeling of being hit with a sheet of half inch plywood and seeing the colors black and red... :freak:

When i was a very young boy, i plugged a fork into a wall socket. all i remember is a quick shock that scared the snot out of me, and a burn mark all around the outlet. I also remember sitting on one of the bar stools in our house, which had a Naugahyde upholstery cover, and just stabbing it over and over and over with a check steak knife.

Apparently i was a pretty stupid little kid

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.