Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Death of iTunes!

This Apple announcement about iTunes is not something I worry about.

As a realist, the app is 18-19 yrs old. True it has gotten some what unwieldy depending who you talk to. I haven't run into problems- other than account verification which borders on overkill.

It would be unrealistic for iTunes to continue 'business as usual ' for another 5 years.

Last I knew the library/storage side of the app is free. I have a hard time complaining about an app or software that is essentially free.

My annual purchases on the iTune store are small, lets say under $250 per year. Family typically buys me an iTunes card as a Xmas gift.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess my beef is more with Apple DRM and cloud syncing etc.

I subscribe to Apple Music, but also have purchased music from the iTunes store, and I uploaded part of my CD collection. When bandleaders send me mp3's they go into iTunes.

Sometimes I need to make a playlist with a mix of two or three of the above, and Apple will not let me sync those playlists across devices. Very frustrating, but not necessarily an iTunes problem; it's a digital rights problem, or rather how restrictive Apple is.

Not convenient, not customer-friendly. But the switch to the iOS-style Music app will almost certainly not improve this.

As a music player, or a place to keep your record collection, it's not bad. Although the sound quality isn't that great.

As a hub for your devices, really arcane and limited.

In general, I find syncing across devices a bit of an achilles' heel for Apple. iMessage is still unreliable for me. Then again, Notes' sync is absolutely perfect, so maybe it's just a matter of time.

I guess my beef is more with Apple DRM and cloud syncing etc.

I subscribe to Apple Music, but also have purchased music from the iTunes store, and I uploaded part of my CD collection. When bandleaders send me mp3's they go into iTunes.

Sometimes I need to make a playlist with a mix of two or three of the above, and Apple will not let me sync those playlists across devices. Very frustrating, but not necessarily an iTunes problem; it's a digital rights problem, or rather how restrictive Apple is.

Not convenient, not customer-friendly. But the switch to the iOS-style Music app will almost certainly not improve this.

As a music player, or a place to keep your record collection, it's not bad. Although the sound quality isn't that great.

As a hub for your devices, really arcane and limited.

In general, I find syncing across devices a bit of an achilles' heel for Apple. iMessage is still unreliable for me. Then again, Notes' sync is absolutely perfect, so maybe it's just a matter of time.

I'm not sure what you mean about syncing playlists. I have playlists that I've created on one Apple device and it's there on all of them. Do you have older stuff you bought from the iTunes Store that still has DRM on it? (Later stuff doesn't, since 2009 in fact.)

Most "syncing" (notice that Apple never calls it that) works great for me. The only place I really have a problem is with Calendars/Reminders. I mark one as completed on one device and it still shows as due on others until I open Calendar and force it to update. OTOH, Notes, Messages, Mail, and just about anything else I use work fine for me. :idk:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I'm not sure what you mean about syncing playlists. I have playlists that I've created on one Apple device and it's there on all of them.

This is specifically about playlists that have a mix of imported stuff, store-bought stuff and Apple Music downloads. Say, a bandleader sands me a bunch of mp3's, but he doesn't have everything on the setlist, so I download the rest through Apple Music. A playlist that consists of both these things can not be synced across other devices and stays local (MacPro) only.

Stuff that consists only of Apple Music or iTunes-bought stuff, work fine.

iMessage is wack. Some messages will show up only on my iPad, never on my phone, or vice versa etc.

But Notes and Calendar work great for me.

iMessage is wack. Some messages will show up only on my iPad, never on my phone, or vice versa etc.

That's an odd one. I do not have this issue. iPhone 7+, and iPad (9.7inch Pro) iMessage comes thru on both.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

The app has become way too bloated. I just want to be able to manage my devices, storage and settings. Without using 'iCloud' I would rather not have pictures of my grand-kids end up in some sickos "collection". As I'm sitting here I have been waiting all day for my battery to die on my iPhone 6. I like Apples integration with my vehicle. Unfortunately this morning when it tried to connect to my Jeep it hiccuped and I have a spinnig circle against a black screen. None of the controls including power are working. The phone rings but I cannot answer it and the screen stays like it is so I have no idea who called. By the end of the day I may have a Samsung.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Another sync thing that really bugs me in iTunes/Apple Music is 'Recently Played'. I play a bunch of stuff on my Mac Pro, and later I'm in the car wanting to listen to something again. Some of the songs/albums are on my iPhone's 'Recently Played' list, others are not. It's kind of random. Annoying.

It's official. And they're moving device sync to the Finder, makes sense.

That's good news, I think! It should have been along.

I'm hoping that they come up with something better than iTunes for music storage and playback. For one thing, I'd love some kind of discographical link for liner notes/reviews/info. Even a link to the allmusic guide would be great.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I never got into Apple, but for a far different reason...

Which is:

There is no back 1 page arrow/button on their phones. Every computer ever made has a back button.

Every phone except Apple ever made has a back button. Who do they think they are? I don't play that game.

By Apple not having this basic feature, it showed an arrogance which I didn't want to accept. If they were that deliberately anal, they could pound sand.

Back button? Where? Back to what?

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Back to the feature

on all other smartphones

I actually didn't know that about iPhones having never owned one. Can't imagine not having a back button.

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

I never got into Apple, but for a far different reason...

Which is:

There is no back 1 page arrow/button on their phones. Every computer ever made has a back button.

I have never, in thirty years, EVER owned a computer that had a "back" button.

What button is that you're thinking of? What does it do?

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

I assume he's talking about the safari browser on IOS? But it does have a back button. Actually its two arrows (< >). All of the apps photos etc. have that kind of feature. You can wipe pages on the display with your finger. So why would that need a button? And if he is talking about app switching it has that too. Other than those I can't imagine what he's referring too. I have an iPhone and iPad. I have owned an Android phone there isn't that much difference in how you navigate it.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Ars answers some of your iTunes questions (Windows users take note, you will still have the iTunes app, at least for now)

I've yet to meet a single person in real life who actually likes iTunes. I mean iTunes as an application for managing music library, and transferring stuff between devices. I just hated it. I always had compatibility issues.

You should qualify that you're obviously on Windows. :-)

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

I am heartened that the only two things that matter to me (as I never buy music on-line due to compression and lack of liner notes), are the first two bulleted items:

Music that youve imported or purchased will be in the new Apple Music app.

Music playlists and smart playlists that you've created in iTunes will be in the new Apple Music app.

I use iTunes strictly as a librarian for CD's (and backup, as CD's aren't "permanent" after all; far from it), and player (as I sold my hi-fi a few years ago), as well as organizer for playlists of songs my bands work on and that I wrote myself (or am producing for others).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Im a longtime Mac user and I loathe iTunes. The layout is an absolute trainwreck and its got several major bugs that have gone unfixed for the better part of a decade. So good riddance. Whatever they come up with cant possibly be any worse.

Im definitely not a fake news proclaimer. But the media treatment of this might belong in a masters class in how to create a hub bub out of nothing and get lots of folks to read our product.

If youve ever worked in software development, then the iTunes software on your computer was seen as a Kluge, and an announcement about separating it into multiple apps is a natural evolution.

But my online news feed (Apple!) gave a headline from Fox News:

Apple is turning iTunes off!

BTW, NPR had a 15 minute episode on this subject yesterday, and never actually stated the news: They are separating your current app into four new apps.

To me this is customer abuse.

Im definitely not a fake news proclaimer. But the media treatment of this might belong in a masters class in how to create a hub bub out of nothing and get lots of folks to read our product.

More clickbait. :taz:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.